The Student Room Group

Is it okay to play violin during Ramadan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cod3tte
No, we are allowed to listen to music, it just depends what message it conveys.

No, thats wrong. Unless it is free of instruments (except the duff aka hand drum), it is haraam. Even some "nasheeds" with instruments such as piano are haraam to listen to so it doesnt matter what the message is. Thats like saying drinking alcohol is okay as long as u direct ur "cheers!" towards God or Islam or whatever.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RickHendricks
lol you did not just tell PC to "Run along child"

This is going to be fun. :congrats:

amen brother , already got the popcorn ready
Original post by Kian Stevens
Honestly, we're still in an age where kids are getting defensive over their religion. It's sad really. They haven't even figured their lives out yet, but they've still got to have sky fairy teachings shoved down their throats as soon as they're born.

I feel sorry for them.

I dont think they need your sympathy babes.
Reply 43
Original post by catfanny
No, thats wrong. Unless it is free of instruments (except the duff aka hand drum), it is haraam. Even some "nasheeds" with instruments such as piano are haraam to listen to so it doesnt matter what the message is. Thats like saying drinking alcohol is okay as long as u direct ur "cheers!" towards God or Islam or whatever.

No.

Music doesn't really cause harm to the body.

Alcohol, people have died because of it, lost their kidney(s) because of it. It makes people do things which they regret in the future, most cannot control their actions when they are drunk with listening to music we still have control over ourselves.
Original post by RickHendricks
oh please.

You asked whether or not a person is allowed to continue on with their education to satisfy the needs of their religion. You see how stupid that question sounds? Why don't you let your friend choose. If she cares more about religion, she will choose to not play it, if not (which she obviously is), she won't.

It's not about stopping her education for her religion, its about whether she would refrain from playing during her fast, as music is a privilege we take for granted. I understand you point but having lack of understanding for someones religion and what they should and shouldn't be doing is what causes problems like this and why your remarks are a little unfair.
Reply 45
Original post by Volibear
I thought drinking alcohol was Ok as long as you're male lmao

Is there an Islamic teaching stating that?
Man, it must be pretty tough not to be allowed music. I'd be so sad
Reply 47
Unless you're listening to music from the gangland and inspired to go out and shoot somebody.

That's why you should only listen to music conveying positive messages.
Original post by catfanny
I dont think they need your sympathy babes.

Thanks 'catfanny'. I'll be sure to take your advice seriously.
Reply 49
Once again, how one chooses to interpret the message is the key. Which is one of the big problems with organised religion :rolleyes:

Well, I'm sure many would agree 'gangland' (which I have never heard of) isn't positive in the slightest.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
amen brother , already got the popcorn ready

this thread:whip:

Original post by sophz.2000
It's not about stopping her education for her religion

It clearly is, since she takes music GCSE, and a person with brain would realize she needs to play the instrument.

its about whether she would refrain from playing during her fast, as music is a privilege we take for granted.

Education is also a privilege that MANY take for granted. Why is she still going to school by that logic?:rolleyes:

I understand you point but having lack of understanding for someones religion and what they should and shouldn't be doing is what causes problems like this and why your remarks are a little unfair.

Isn't it also unfair that I'm the wrong person here, since my first voice was regarding OP's attitude towards another member?
look here's some advice from one muslim to another @Cod3tte ,just stay away from @Plantagenet Crown
Original post by Ray_Shadows
look here's some advice from one muslim to another @Cod3tte ,just stay away from @Plantagenet Crown

PRSOM
Reply 53
Dunno. I don't read that stuff. This comes from my observations of the proud Muslim men who hang around my local park.

:rofl:
Original post by Cod3tte
No.

Music doesn't really cause harm to the body.

Alcohol, people have died because of it, lost their kidney(s) because of it. It makes people do things which they regret in the future, most cannot control their actions when they are drunk with listening to music we still have control over ourselves.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “There will appear people in my community, who will hold adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments to be lawful.” (Bukhari)

Lol i used alcohol to show u that ur saying something that has been stated as haraam is okay in some situations if the message it conveys is "good" but looking at that hadith, it seems to be in the same category as alcohol and adultery.
Musical instruments are haraam, therefore so is music in general unless it has just vocals or the duff. But you do you. If you want to believe something thats haraam is halal in certain situations go ahead. Youre literally one of those "say bismillah before eating ham and its halal" people lol but whatever.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Pfft mate, I have a chemistry degree :hand:

:unimpressed:

Ew, Chemistry
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Pfft mate, I have a chemistry degree :hand:

Hopefully I'll have the same thing in a few years' time... Don't count on me though :biggrin:
Original post by Kian Stevens
Thanks 'catfanny'. I'll be sure to take your advice seriously.

Aw thanks hope my advice was life changing x
It's not about stopping her education for her religion, its about whether she would refrain from playing during her fast, as music is a privilege we take for granted. I understand you point but having lack of understanding for someones religion and what they should and shouldn't be doing is what causes problems like this and why your remarks are a little unfair.

But where does one draw the line? A house is a privilege you take for granted, so is running water, electricity, the internet etc. So you should stop using those things too then.

Anyone with half a brain cell can see it's ridiculous for someone taking music GCSE to abstain from playing the musical instrument necessary for that GCSE.
(edited 5 years ago)
But that's where the entertainment truly begins for the rest of us :lol:

yeh that's true tbh but still i always see it happen :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest