Chemistry a level helpppppppppp!!!

Watch this thread
thenoname
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
what mass of sulphuric acid can be obtained from 1000tonnes of an ore which contains 32.0% of FeS2 ????

guys can you please tell me step by step how to do it??

am I supposed to start off with writing an equation for the reaction and if so how!!!???? I literally forgot everything
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
If a 1000 tonne ore contains 32% of FeS2, then we can say that the mass of FeS2 in the ore is 320 tonnes.

FeS2 contains 2 sulfur atoms, whilst H2SO4 only contains 1 - this is where you need to start thinking about the simplest molar ratios between the two. If I was to think of a process based on the above statement, then I'd be thinking of something like: FeS_{2} \rightarrow 2H_{2}SO_{4}. Obviously it's not a complete equation, but hopefully you can see that you'd have to double the moles of sulfuric acid in order to balance the sulfur atoms.

Since we have 320 tonnes of FeS2, and the Mr of FeS2 is 120 gmol-1, we will have \frac{320000000}{120} = 2.67x106 moles of it. Using the process I mentioned earlier, we will have 5.34x106 moles of sulfuric acid. This means that the mass of sulfuric acid will therefore be 5.34x106 * 98.1 = 523.8 (524) tonnes.

If you have the answer to this question then that would be great - I don't want to think I'm saying a load of crap!
anonymous69gcse
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
im a chemistry expert
thenoname
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
If a 1000 tonne ore contains 32% of FeS2, then we can say that the mass of FeS2 in the ore is 320 tonnes.

FeS2 contains 2 sulfur atoms, whilst H2SO4 only contains 1 - this is where you need to start thinking about the simplest molar ratios between the two. If I was to think of a process based on the above statement, then I'd be thinking of something like: FeS_{2} \rightarrow 2H_{2}SO_{4}. Obviously it's not a complete equation, but hopefully you can see that you'd have to double the moles of sulfuric acid in order to balance the sulfur atoms.

Since we have 320 tonnes of FeS2, and the Mr of FeS2 is 120 gmol-1, we will have \frac{320000000}{120} = 2.67x106 moles of it. Using the process I mentioned earlier, we will have 5.34x106 moles of sulfuric acid. This means that the mass of sulfuric acid will therefore be 5.34x106 * 98.1 = 523.8 (524) tonnes of sulfuric acid.

If you have the answer to this question then that would be great - I don't want to think I'm saying a load of crap!
yes thats the right answer thanksss u r a life sAVER
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Riannnne)
yes thats the right answer thanksss u r a life sAVER
No problem!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (80)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (159)
37.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.73%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed