Unsure on what to do post uni/what type of experience to go for?

Watch
Wilks97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been thinking about this for the last few months, particularly now that summer is coming up. I'm one exam away from finishing my first year of uni - so far I've got a 2:1 in everything (not confident about one of my exams though). I also play rugby for a National League 1 team (third tier of rugby in England). It's semi proffesional, I do want to play proffesionaly but I'm also realistic and know that I need to prepare for a career to go alongside rugby.

I'm doing a Sports Management degree and I've enjoyed it. However I also know that I need experience to go with it - as it stands, I have none. I'm not really sure what I want to do though or what path I want to go down and that scares me a bit. A massive thing for me this summer is that I need to learn how to drive, it'll make my life so much easier.

I will go and speak to the careers officer at some stage but just thought I'd ask on here. A lot of people seem to know exactly what they want to do, I don't. I guess my question is, what can I do to give me the best chance of getting a decent job in the next couple of years and how do I combine that with rugby. Thank you.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilks97)
I've been thinking about this for the last few months, particularly now that summer is coming up. I'm one exam away from finishing my first year of uni - so far I've got a 2:1 in everything (not confident about one of my exams though). I also play rugby for a National League 1 team (third tier of rugby in England). It's semi proffesional, I do want to play proffesionaly but I'm also realistic and know that I need to prepare for a career to go alongside rugby.

I'm doing a Sports Management degree and I've enjoyed it. However I also know that I need experience to go with it - as it stands, I have none. I'm not really sure what I want to do though or what path I want to go down and that scares me a bit. A massive thing for me this summer is that I need to learn how to drive, it'll make my life so much easier.

I will go and speak to the careers officer at some stage but just thought I'd ask on here. A lot of people seem to know exactly what they want to do, I don't. I guess my question is, what can I do to give me the best chance of getting a decent job in the next couple of years and how do I combine that with rugby. Thank you.
Getting work experience is the short answer which you already seem to know. Your experience and skills are what'll stand out on an application.
Wilks97
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Getting work experience is the short answer which you already seem to know. Your experience and skills are what'll stand out on an application,
I was asking about what type of experience would be good for me given I don’t know what I want to go into, what options there are that would maybe suit my character and how do I go about making it happen.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was asking about what type of experience would be good for me given I don’t know what I want to go into, what options there are that would maybe suit my character and how do I go about making it happen.
Well you need to work out what you want to do first. Or try a few different things, build up a skill set and then work out what you want to do. Funnily enough a single post on a forum is not going to help people to work out what your character is or what you want to do. That is for you to work out. Good luck!
Wilks97
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Well you need to work out what you want to do first. Or try a few different things, build up a skill set and then work out what you want to do. Funnily enough a single post on a forum is not going to help people to work out what your character is or what you want to do. That is for you to work out. Good luck!
Not sure if you’re trying to be funny or something here but I’ll try and be polite. I stated that I love rugby and am doing a business degree related to sport. I was hoping that maybe someone would have suggestions at potential career paths that might be good for me on paper, based on those two facets.

But yes, I am aware that work experience would be good and I am willing to try different things. I would, however, like some guidance as to what they could be. If you aren’t involved in business/sport, that might be difficult but maybe there is someone on here who is.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure if you’re trying to be funny or something here but I’ll try and be polite. I stated that I love rugby and am doing a business degree related to sport. I was hoping that maybe someone would have suggestions at potential career paths that might be good for me on paper, based on those two facets.

But yes, I am aware that work experience would be good and I am willing to try different things. I would, however, like some guidance as to what they could be. If you aren’t involved in business/sport, that might be difficult but maybe there is someone on here who is.
No hun. I'm being perfectly serious. This is your future and you are wasting your time if you think a site largely populated by GCSE, A level and undergrad students is going to magically give you answers to your career crisis. Like the rest of the world you are going to have to work your way through it, do some thinking and research and maybe talk to an actual careers advisor. Laziness is not the way out and nor is putting your hands up and hoping that someone will do your thinking/research for you. But that does seem to be a particularly difficult concept for you to grasp so all I can say is good luck!
username853993
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

the large majority of grad roles (including most in the business sector) only require a degree not a specific subject so its difficult for people to give you suggestions with that info, especially as most people dont do a grad role directly related to their degree, you need to google what careers involve what you want, read about them from different perspectives (from company websites to people blogs who do the role) and decide if that sounds like something you would be interested in. Do this until you have more of a specific idea of the role you want to do then apply for summer internships/year in industry (depending on your preference) in those roles

ie google 'grad roles in the business sector/finance sector/sport sector' or 'grad roles involving sports and business' and see what comes up
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to give people a bit more to go on. What type of job do you want? What kind of hours? What kind of salary? What kind of environment? Independent or part of a team? Managerial? Creative or analytical? Hands on or desk based?

Your degree will qualify you for a wide range of jobs so you need to think more about what you want from your career then you can get some experience to narrow down the list and find something you enjoy.
Wilks97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
You need to give people a bit more to go on. What type of job do you want? What kind of hours? What kind of salary? What kind of environment? Independent or part of a team? Managerial? Creative or analytical? Hands on or desk based?

Your degree will qualify you for a wide range of jobs so you need to think more about what you want from your career then you can get some experience to narrow down the list and find something you enjoy.
I think my ultimate dream job outside of playing would be directing a sports club or university sports section maybe, so making sure everything is in place for the club to be successful, budgeting, sorting contacts, facilities, signing players etc. Basically overseeing everything. I’ve researched this though and can’t find any information on how that would be possible. In football, all the directors are just billionaires who buy shares in the clubs.

It’s tough because I just want to play proffesional so badly and I’m not too far away, I think I could do it in 4 years maybe. I graduate in 2 though.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think my ultimate dream job outside of playing would be directing a sports club or university sports section maybe, so making sure everything is in place for the club to be successful, budgeting, sorting contacts, facilities, signing players etc. Basically overseeing everything. I’ve researched this though and can’t find any information on how that would be possible. In football, all the directors are just billionaires who buy shares in the clubs.

It’s tough because I just want to play proffesional so badly and I’m not too far away, I think I could do it in 4 years maybe. I graduate in 2 though.
They would want experience and a proven track record. Director is pretty high up so you'd have to start lower down as something like an operations assistant and even then they might want prior management experience. Maybe start as an assistant coach or something. From there you can work your way up with time and luck.

Maybe talk to the staff for the team you play for at the moment and see if there are any part time opportunities you'd be suitable for now then you'd be in a better position when you graduate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads