The Student Room Group

I Just Finished First Year Law || AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bibsss
Hi, I wanted to know when you are asked to pick your optional modules, so for example if it's at the beginning of the semester in your first year (for all the modules including third year ones) and whether they allow you to change them at all??

Also how difficult is it to keep up with the workload and balance your social life/part time job?? I am aware that you are asked to read cases/statues before the seminars but I am a veryyyyy slow reader lol.
Thank you :smile:

You wont be asked to pick any modules at the beginning of the degree for the 2nd and 3rd year. For 2nd/3rd year options you will pick them at the end of previous year.

In regards to work load/social life balance - this is pretty straight forward. Generally speaking your lectures will be before you seminars, the prep for seminars consist of reading text books on the relevant area, if you want to know more then its up to you to do extra reading.
I attended 12 hours a week ( 6 for lecture, 6 for seminars) this gives you plenty of free time during the days to do your work, you dont need to work endless hours on a night etc. Use your days off to do the work and enjoy your evenings and weekends where possible.

When you get assignments start them straight away. This doesnt have to be pen to paper type starting but doing some prep, reading relevant books/texts etc. this will make thing so much easier and less stressful.

Im speaking from experience. I have just completed my first year, worked a part time job and done plenty of social/fun things. However I have 10 years experience working and im 10 years older than the average student. this means im different to the average student. I have self motivation to do the work and thoroughly enjoy it so everything is so much easier.
Original post by james_law
You wont be asked to pick any modules at the beginning of the degree for the 2nd and 3rd year. For 2nd/3rd year options you will pick them at the end of previous year.

In regards to work load/social life balance - this is pretty straight forward. Generally speaking your lectures will be before you seminars, the prep for seminars consist of reading text books on the relevant area, if you want to know more then its up to you to do extra reading.
I attended 12 hours a week ( 6 for lecture, 6 for seminars) this gives you plenty of free time during the days to do your work, you dont need to work endless hours on a night etc. Use your days off to do the work and enjoy your evenings and weekends where possible.

When you get assignments start them straight away. This doesnt have to be pen to paper type starting but doing some prep, reading relevant books/texts etc. this will make thing so much easier and less stressful.

Im speaking from experience. I have just completed my first year, worked a part time job and done plenty of social/fun things. However I have 10 years experience working and im 10 years older than the average student. this means im different to the average student. I have self motivation to do the work and thoroughly enjoy it so everything is so much easier.

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm one of those students who hands in late submissions etc. Also about the self motivation, I have one of my A2 exam tomorrow, for which I have never EVER come home to revise lol unlike others which I've revised at least 5 hours a week. I hate it so much!! (it's world development, so economics and geography combined) but the paper is only 35% so I kind of taken a risk and I'll be lucky if I manage to get 2 grades lower than my requirement.

I'm not the person who goes out every single weekend/evenings and don't think I will unless it's necessary. Although it means I'll have plenty of time, I'm very picky and that's why I'm already stressed about the core modules, 3/4 of which does not seem to interest me at all!

If you do read this, can I ask if you prefer modules which has coursework / assignments, for Cardiff only public law on the first year has 25% coursework and that's it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bibsss
Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm one of those students who hands in late submissions etc. Also about the self motivation, I have one of my A2 exam tomorrow, for which I have never EVER come home to revise lol unlike others which I've revised at least 5 hours a week. I hate it so much!! (it's world development, so economics and geography combined) but the paper is only 35% so I kind of taken a risk and I'll be lucky if I manage to get 2 grades lower than my requirement.

I'm not the person who goes out every single weekend/evenings and don't think I will unless it's necessary. Although it means I'll have plenty of time, I'm very picky and that's why I'm already stressed about the core modules, 3/4 of which does not seem to interest me at all!

If you do read this, can I ask if you prefer modules which has coursework / assignments, for Cardiff only public law on the first year has 25% coursework and that's it.

Late submissions are a big no, you will be penalised and you will start losing marks. So handing things in on time is a must. You need to enjoy what you do, if you enjoy it you'll do the work.

Unfortunately I can not comment on preference to modules with exams/assignments because my first year consisted of all assignments (coursework) and we did not sit an exam. I however, like the assignments as i could do lots of specific reading etc. If you think 3/4 doesnt interest you then I would re think what you actually want to do. Modules in my 2nd year are built on modules from my second year (contract law in first year are the foundations for commercial in 2nd year etc)

Hope this helps.
Original post by bibsss
Hi, I wanted to know when you are asked to pick your optional modules, so for example if it's at the beginning of the semester in your first year (for all the modules including third year ones) and whether they allow you to change them at all??

At the end of first year, you will pick for second year. And at the end of second, you will pick for third year. Yes, you will have opportunity in the first week or two of term of the next academic year to change your mind or you could change it in the summer.

Also how difficult is it to keep up with the workload and balance your social life/part time job?? I am aware that you are asked to read cases/statues before the seminars but I am a veryyyyy slow reader lol.

Difficult at first, but you get used to it and by the end of the degree you can streamline many of the processes. People manage p/t jobs and society positions, all while applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. It is a degree which will take up a lot of your time if you want to do well on it, i.e. more than a bare 2:1.

Original post by bibsss

I now prefer coursework because you can do a lot of research, which is enjoyable. Exams make it more artificial, cramming info you don't organically have as part of your knowledge. For me, though, I liked exams because I had a better memory and core analytical skills than my peers who just remember topics by rote.
Original post by LegallyMinded
I've never done one of these AMA's but I've benefited from a lot of AMA's that I have read. I think it's time to give back to everyone.

I've just finished my first year of studying Law at the University of Kent. I have two brilliant years to go and I look forward to them. My coursework average is a 72 and my exams are all done - hopefully this average can be maintained!

I know for a fact that there are a lot of students, or upcoming students who are nervous about starting a law degree, or starting university in general. So you're all welcome to ask me anything you want about law, my first years, what you can expect or just anything you want and I'll be glad to answer it.

Thank you! I look forward to talking to as many of you as possible.

What’s exactly is it like studying law, the work load. How are you examined, like in the exams are you giving scenarios to apply the law to or just essay questions?
Original post by bibsss

Depends on your university. Some ask you to pick 2nd and 3rd year in 1st year, some just ask you to pick 2nd year etc.
Kent has online module picking in the Spring Term for the next years modules.
Eh it's fine, I don't read the entire case - never had to. Just skim read, look for important bits and then you have your social life :smile:

Original post by Shavelle
What’s exactly is it like studying law, the work load. How are you examined, like in the exams are you giving scenarios to apply the law to or just essay questions?

Also depends on your university. For first year at Kent, the Public Law Exam is just essay based, the criminal exam is essay and scenario based and the foundations of property exam is heavily mini essay mixed with scenarios.
Original post by james_law
Late submissions are a big no, you will be penalised and you will start losing marks. So handing things in on time is a must. You need to enjoy what you do, if you enjoy it you'll do the work.

Unfortunately I can not comment on preference to modules with exams/assignments because my first year consisted of all assignments (coursework) and we did not sit an exam. I however, like the assignments as i could do lots of specific reading etc. If you think 3/4 doesnt interest you then I would re think what you actually want to do. Modules in my 2nd year are built on modules from my second year (contract law in first year are the foundations for commercial in 2nd year etc)

Hope this helps.

Thanks, our second year third year and all optional modules... Damn I wish they were some part coursework that would reduce the stress during exams imo.
Original post by Notoriety
At the end of first year, you will pick for second year. And at the end of second, you will pick for third year. Yes, you will have opportunity in the first week or two of term of the next academic year to change your mind or you could change it in the summer.

Difficult at first, but you get used to it and by the end of the degree you can streamline many of the processes. People manage p/t jobs and society positions, all while applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. It is a degree which will take up a lot of your time if you want to do well on it, i.e. more than a bare 2:1.

I now prefer coursework because you can do a lot of research, which is enjoyable. Exams make it more artificial, cramming info you don't organically have as part of your knowledge. For me, though, I liked exams because I had a better memory and core analytical skills than my peers who just remember topics by rote.

I see, thank you. I'd prefer a bit of coursework too, 3 hour exams meh. Swansea have half of their exams at the end of first Semester wish Cardiff did the same lol. I'd rather remember something for a shorter period of 4 months than keep going over at home for 9 months!
Original post by frabgas27
Good luck finding a job when you graduate.

what do you mean?
Original post by bibsss
I see, thank you. I'd prefer a bit of coursework too, 3 hour exams meh. Swansea have half of their exams at the end of first Semester wish Cardiff did the same lol. I'd rather remember something for a shorter period of 4 months than keep going over at home for 9 months!

I believe Liverpool does something similar to Swansea.

I don't think it's all that bad; 3 hours fly by. My place did pretty much all exams for everything and I remember feeling quite intimidated by this when I started, but you really just get used to it after your first set of them. Everyone is in the same boat and you're marked by your lecturers with this in mind: they know you're stressed and anxious, and generally cut you some slack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending