Turn on thread page Beta

Why does my family make fun of my boyfriend? watch

ReputationRep:
    My family has always believed that you need to laugh at yourself. I hate it. They have always made fun of me, but they never stop. When I told my mom about my boyfriend, she told a lot of people. My boyfriend's name is Felipe and I think he has a very unique and special name. My family clearly thinks otherwise. I need help, how do I deal with this? It is really embarrassing. Please help!

ReputationRep:
    Not going to lie, I chuckled at his name too. Just don't get too bogged into the jokes that your parents make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frabgas27)
    Not going to lie, I chuckled at his name too. Just don't get too bogged into the jokes that your parents make.
    Alright, I am just really sensitive and always have been. I will try though. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    tell them to politely **** off and if they keep on doing it just act as if your not bothered and they will stop , personally i think that theyre being immature basically don't give them the reaction they want just laugh it off eventually they will stop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANON xx)
    tell them to politely **** off and if they keep on doing it just act as if your not bothered and they will stop , personally i think that theyre being immature basically don't give them the reaction they want just laugh it off eventually they will stop
    Thanks! This was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Seems normal to me - families love to tease and joke together. Its a sign of closeness that you can be teased and be vulnerable in front of someone.

I would hate it, if I my family had to walk on egg shells around me, worrying if their jokes are going to upset me.

The advice above, to tell your family to **** off.. is just immature teenage nonsense. They are your family - the chances are that will be with you, loving you and caring fro you - far far longer then your current boyfriend will be around. (unless your in your mid-late 20s)

I’m an only child and very close to my parents. We live in a very small house that can just about accommodate the three of us. I’ve moved back here after three years of university, living independently. I met my boyfriend at university; we’ve been seeing each-other for nine months and both see a future for our relationship.
    My parents are very antisocial and don’t like guests, especially not overnight ones. Earlier this summer, my boyfriend was allowed to stay over for one night. To my mind the visit was a success. I continued to see my boyfriend every few weeks, and I was allowed to stay at his house for a week. A month after he stayed at mine, I broached the subject of him staying over again with my parents, at which point they told me, very extensively, how much they disliked him. They said they hated his personality, found him rude, and resented the lack of interest he showed in them. When I told them I loved him and that he’d given me the happiest two terms at university, they accepted this, but nonetheless continued to criticise him in-front of me. They haven’t stopped me from seeing him, but they have been vague about whether he can stay over in future. I’ve told my boyfriend they now have a ‘no-guests’ policy in the house because of the lack of space. He’s very accepting of this and supportive of me, but this watershed has made me deeply depressed. I don’t know what to do. Every-time I speak to my boyfriend I feel I’m concealing something from him, while every-time I speak to my parents, I can’t speak to them about another person I feel deeply about. I also feel guilty that I can reciprocate the hospitality and generosity his parents have shown me.
    If my parents concerns were about my wellbeing, I could well understand their position; but their criticism of him is personality based. It is nothing that he’s done to me, if anything he makes me very happy, but it’s how he (apparently) makes my parents feel.
    Should I speak to my boyfriend about the criticisms my parents have of him?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    How is a felipe in any way funny pls?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.