The Student Room Group

Got any Freshers Week advice to share with other students?

A journalist from Future Magazine is writing a couple of pieces about student life and would like some help from the experts - you guys!

She would like a couple of comments on...

:wink: What actually happens during Freshers Week - what can future students expect from it?

:wink: What's the point of a Student Union? What does it do and who uses it?

If you've got any pearls of wisdom you wish to share to help future students feel prepared for uni, send your comments over to [email protected] as soon as poss, along with your name, uni and what year you're in :biggrin:

Did anything happen during your Freshers that you weren't expecting?

Do you go to your SU or use its services a lot? Comment below!

Scroll to see replies

One time, me and the boys drove round in a car playing the spongebob theme tune after a couple of ribenas at 8pm.... still got ptsd from it
Reply 2
Original post by discobish
What's the point of a Student Union? What does it do and who uses it?

At my uni the answers are:

**** knows
**** all
and
****ing nobody
Reply 3
Original post by presidentfrog43
One time, me and the boys drove round in a car playing the spongebob theme tune after a couple of ribenas at 8pm.... still got ptsd from it

Original post by Sataris

**** knows
**** all
and
****ing nobody

V useful - thanks guys :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Reply 4
Original post by discobish
V useful - thanks guys :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I felt like it would better to say it here than submit it :lol:
Reply 5
Try your hardest make friends with your flatmates. You'll see them everyday and you may need to move in with them for 2nd and 3rd years. Being on bad terms makes the rest of the first year awful (according to people that I know).
try as much as possible with societies/events/extra circulars/sports - you might just find something you really like that you didnt know about before
Original post by Sataris

**** knows
**** all
and
****ing nobody

which university is that?
Drink your student loan awaaayyyy, and snog as many people as you can before you get fresher flus.
Spent the majority of fresher's in the health centre so haven't got much to add
use it as a warm up for freshers at ur exchange uni
uk freshers was like a series of school discos in comparison
Original post by dcravenor
which university is that?

Guranteed they'll answer who the *** knows.
Original post by GrandMedic
Guranteed they'll answer who the *** knows.

lol what?
Reply 13
Have a boss time, first and foremost. And be good. If you can't be good (I hope you won't be good!), be careful. if you can't be careful, better remember the date!
From what I've heard, up your vitamin C a month prior Uni to strengthen your Immune system.
This is a very strange question to be asking in May.
Reply 16
- Don't sign up to many sports clubs and societies. You won't show up to most of them. One or two is a good amount.
- Keep watch on your spending. Some end up spending way over £300 on just alcohol, clubbing and junk food.
- Join facebook group chats for your course and accommodation before you start uni. It's the fastest way to get to know people, and gain info.
- If you can't make friends during your first week don't beat yourself over it, quite a lot don't and end up making a group a few weeks later.
(edited 5 years ago)
SU is purely a vessel in which to hold the cheap sesh. All its other services are irrelevant to the vast majority.
Reply 18
-If you plan to go out clubbing or a night event make sure you know how youre gonna get back
-Make as many friends as possible :/
-You wont get freshers flu if you look after yourself geez. So annoying sitting in a lecture hall full of ill people (insert mask emoji)

One of the best things about uni is that you can live and dress how you want and wont be judged - at least i feel like that compared to my hometown xD. Basically you feel more independent

MOST IMPORTANTLY freshers is overrated imo - it wasnt as amazing as its described everywhere lol.
It's fine if you aren't social and don't want to go out and drink all the time- you aren't alone. It's also cool if you don't have loads of friends on campus, most of mine travel in, but have one or two on campus so you aren't permanently alone.

Be prepared for people screaming outside your window at 3am on student nights.

Don't trust the uni food all the time- if it doesn't look right, don't eat it.

You will probably get fresher's flu, even if you do look after yourself well and have a good immune system. Germs spread very fast at uni.

The kitchen bins will never be emptied unless you make a rota or do them yourself all the time. Same with the washing up.

Quick Reply

Latest