Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was expelled in year 11 from my private school but managed to get a last minute placement at a state school and take my GCSE's.
    I stayed on their for my A levels ( I'm in my AS year) and plan to apply to university. But I've heard that universities are less likely to accept applicants who've been expelled.
    I just wondered if this is true and how much it could affect my chance of getting a placement

ReputationRep:
    Well common sense says yes they probably would be less likely to accept you. But it dpends how good your application is, where there any mitigating factors etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Would I have to admit to it happening and is there any way of them finding it out?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you actually have to admit anything. From what i remember...

If you are planing to go somewhere like Oxford then i imagine it would matter. But at most Uni's i expect all depends on whether you have the grades.

ReputationRep:
    how would the unis know ,unless your reference wrote that you did, i don't see how they could find out...

ReputationRep:
    Getting expelled from private school? The phrase spoiled brat springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Ditto.

And of course it will reduce your chances - it is how you try to overcome that that will help you.

ReputationRep:
    Judgemental springs to mine.

ReputationRep:
    how did you get expelled? off topic but meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariad)
    I was just about to say that!

surely if ur having ur education payed for, wouldnt u wana try and keep a place and get a good education!

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariad)
    So it's worse to get expelled from a private school than a state school? What a stupid, discriminatory comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.w.)
    So it's worse to get expelled from a private school than a state school? What a stupid, discriminatory comment.
    Considering your parents have to pay out of their arse for you to attend it....yes it is!

OP: Depends if referees mention it...which would depend on what the incident was over.

I was excluded a lot from my secondary school when I was younger but I got 5/6 offers from UCAS so it probably doesn't matter/didnt get mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gee_shakedown)
    Judgemental springs to mine.
    agreed.

Why did you get expelled though?

ReputationRep:
    I started off in a state school and moved to private because I got bullied really badly.
    My mom & dad aren't rich, and I'm definately not spoilt, they simply wanted me to have a better chance of being happy and it seemed a good alternative to state schooling.
    Anyway I was there from year 9 until year 11, and hated every day of it.
    The teachers looked down on me for being from a regular school, and the girls (all girls catholic school) disliked me for being "common" and an outsider.
    I ended up getting both depressed & agressive, and felt extremely isolated and fed up. I ended up getting expelled for losing my temper one day after my headmistress once again humiliated and scorned me and my parents. I hurled some tables and chairs around in a classroom. Not at anyone, just in total .. whatever
    Anyway they decided I was a danger to the school and it's pupils, and not the right sort of person to be in private education.
    All a week before my mock exams (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your education has been an awful experience - I'm sorry to hear that. Ignore the 'spoilt brat' comments from the ***** above. You should definitely still be able to get into a good university if your grades are good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah It hasn't been too fantastic.
    Haha and thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    I'll support the OP over here: it's so much easier to get expelled from a private school than from a state school. Hurling tables around a classroom in my current state school would probably get you in isolation for a few days. In my old (private) school it would have probably got you expelled, as once nearly happened to me, in another incident.

All you people hating on her should stfu until you've experienced it.

Gee, your current school is the one that sends your reference to UCAS, so if you're doing well currently, you should get a good reference. I don't think it's likely that it'll come up. My record in my old school (in which I took my GCSEs) was crap, but my UCAS app is currently going very well.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Democracy] Hurling tables around a classroom in my current state school would probably get you in isolation for a few days. In my old (private) school it would have probably got you expelled, as once nearly happened to me, in another incident.
    /QUOTE]

in my school you would probably only get a 5 minute break time detention.

Actually thinking about it - you would probably get to go on all the free school trips to theme parks and stuff. My school has a policy of rewarding bad kids

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    I got 4A*'s 1 A and the rest B's at GCSE
    At the moment I'm predicted AAAA (hopefully!)
    And Democracy you're very right, when I moved back to regular education they told me I wouldn't have even got suspended for the same thing. I'm not a violent person usually, it was just like 2 years of being hassled culminating into one mistake which they used to kick me out.
    My new school is really supportive so I'm glad to hear that

ReputationRep:
    Wont effect you. They wont be able to tell.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.