The Student Room Group

I need motivation to revise for Eglish Lit

I am doing Romeo and Juliet - An Inspector Calls - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - Relationships Poetry

If you have any exam practice questions for those books PLEASE submit them here cause I am a private candidate with not so many resources ( I alreday looked at the past papers form my exam board)
I do everything but Romeo and Juliet - do u have all the exam board practice q I have a lot of ones my teacher gave me for poetry do u want them
Original post by annajpg
I am doing Romeo and Juliet - An Inspector Calls - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - Relationships Poetry

If you have any exam practice questions for those books PLEASE submit them here cause I am a private candidate with not so many resources ( I alreday looked at the past papers form my exam board)

What year are you in?
Reply 3
Original post by rosieseymourx
I do everything but Romeo and Juliet - do u have all the exam board practice q I have a lot of ones my teacher gave me for poetry do u want them

Yes please, also if you have any for An inspector and Dr jekyll it would really help me, thank you soo much :heart:
Reply 4
Original post by Aaliyah2001
What year are you in?

I am a private candidate, Im 19 so I can't really be in any year haha
Original post by annajpg
I am a private candidate, Im 19 so I can't really be in any year haha

Oh alright. I used literally nothing for motivation tbh. I just wanted to kinda show off my teachers that i can do better than what they've predicted for me. The teacher predicted me a 3/4 but I got a 6 and I just started revising a day before the exam. It's easier once you've kept all of the analysed quotes and paragraphs ready because just before the exam you'll piece all of it together. My teacher used to give us really analyzsed paragraph to mark in class and that would be around level 7/8. So I learnt those and used some it in different quotes because the context is the same all around the different quotes in the books.
Reply 6
Oh alright. I used literally nothing for motivation tbh. I just wanted to kinda show off my teachers that i can do better than what they've predicted for me. The teacher predicted me a 3/4 but I got a 6 and I just started revising a day before the exam. It's easier once you've kept all of the analysed quotes and paragraphs ready because just before the exam you'll piece all of it together. My teacher used to give us really analyzsed paragraph to mark in class and that would be around level 7/8. So I learnt those and used some it in different quotes because the context is the same all around the different quotes in the books.

Oh nice thank you so like is not that hard to achieve a 4/5/6 right? i would ony need a 5 really
Reply 7

I have uploaded an exam style response if you are willing to rate it would be awesome:blush:
Original post by annajpg
I have uploaded an exam style response if you are willing to rate it would be awesome:blush:

Yes it isnt that hard to acheieve a 4/5/6. Could you please send the essay here?
Reply 9
Yes it isnt that hard to acheieve a 4/5/6. Could you please send the essay here?

Question: how far you think Shakespeare presents the Nurse as more of a mother to Juliet than Lady Capulet.
• how Shakespeare presents Nurse in this extract;
• how Shakespeare presents the differences between the Nurse and Lady Capulet in the play as a whole.

As the Nurse recognises that Juliet will be 14 years old soon she goes back with her mind and tells us a story from Juliet's childhood.
It goes back to eleven years ago, Juliet was a baby and the Nurse would breastfeed her like she was her own daughter.
The Nurse repeats "I remember it very well" and "I never shall forget" showing us that this is a very vivid memory and she talks about it with love and a tone of melancholy which make it clear that this is a very important memory of baby Juliet.
This reflects te importance of the relationship between Juliet and the Nurse, it is clear that they have a strong bond and the fact that the Nurse used to breastfeed her shows that Lady Capulet was not doing it. Thi tells us that Lady Capulet didn't grow any mother-daughter relationship with Juliet since the first moment of baby Juliet's life, therefore the Nurse is represented as more of a mother to Juliet than Lady Capulet will ever be.

Furthermore, the Nurse mentions "My Lord and you were then at Mantua" this increases even more the idea tha Juliet's mother had nothing to do with her as a baby, the physical distance between the two - Juliet being in Verona and Lady Capulet being in Mantua- clearly shows an undeniable separation between them.
Finally, the memory ends up being the flashback of the day which Juliet stopped breastfeeding, as the Nurse put a bitter herb around her nipple, Juliet's reaction was a disgusted grin on her face, which make her stop wanting to eat from her breast.
The Nurse refers to this moment as "pretty fool" showing her playfuul and happy tone in recounting this event.

It is clear that the last day of brestfeeding Juliet is an important, tender and vivid memory that the Nurse has, it symbolises a point of Juliet's life where she grew up, which links to the reason why the Nurse is telling us this story; Juliet is soon to turn 14.
The fact that Lady Capulet would not even be able to recount such memory - or any other at all- makes it clear that the Nurse and Juliet had a strong bond of love since the first days of baby Juliet's life.

A scene which encourages the idea of Lady Capulet being distant from Juliet is when in act 1 scene 3 Lady Capulet wants to speak in private with Juliet and asks the Nurse to "give leave awhile." However, right away, Lady Capulet realises that the situation is too intimate and awkward, therefore she calls the Nurse back in. The fact that just by standing in the same room with Juliet alone makes her uncomfortable, shows us that Lady Capulet has no relationship with her own daughter, and she feels like being in the presence of a stranger.

In act 3 scene 5 we see Juliet ask Lady Capulet to help her and delay the wedding with Paris, her mother's response is very cold and tells her "Talk not to me... I have done with thee" . It is quite of a shock for Juliet and for a contemporary audience to see a mother being so uncaring towards her daughter's struggles.

Instead the Nurse represents a positive character that halps Juliet in different occasion. In act 2 scene 4 the Nurse helps Juliet by bringing a message to Romeo, the fact that Juliet trustes the Nurse and is able to talk to her about Romeo shows their close relationship with one another. Istead, the fact that Juliet keeps it as a secret from her mother increases the sense of distance between the two.
In act 2 scene 5 the Nurse is back with the new from Romeo. Here we see Juliet being really excited and childish, asking the Nurse to tell her Romeo's response. She's in fact, being quite rude and demanding of the Nurse "is they good news or bad news" Answer to that". Although she's being an impatient child towards the woman who raised her, the Nurse's patience remains intact and goes ahead telling Juliet about Romeo wanting to marry her.
This scene really reflects the motherhood aspect of the Nurse as she remians calm and understanding toward Juliet. Their relationship remains strong and in complete contrast to Lady Capulet's oblivious behaviour towards Juliet.
Original post by annajpg
Question: how far you think Shakespeare presents the Nurse as more of a mother to Juliet than Lady Capulet.
• how Shakespeare presents Nurse in this extract;
• how Shakespeare presents the differences between the Nurse and Lady Capulet in the play as a whole.

As the Nurse recognises that Juliet will be 14 years old soon she goes back with her mind and tells us a story from Juliet's childhood.
It goes back to eleven years ago, Juliet was a baby and the Nurse would breastfeed her like she was her own daughter.
The Nurse repeats "I remember it very well" and "I never shall forget" showing us that this is a very vivid memory and she talks about it with love and a tone of melancholy which make it clear that this is a very important memory of baby Juliet.
This reflects te importance of the relationship between Juliet and the Nurse, it is clear that they have a strong bond and the fact that the Nurse used to breastfeed her shows that Lady Capulet was not doing it. Thi tells us that Lady Capulet didn't grow any mother-daughter relationship with Juliet since the first moment of baby Juliet's life, therefore the Nurse is represented as more of a mother to Juliet than Lady Capulet will ever be.

Furthermore, the Nurse mentions "My Lord and you were then at Mantua" this increases even more the idea tha Juliet's mother had nothing to do with her as a baby, the physical distance between the two - Juliet being in Verona and Lady Capulet being in Mantua- clearly shows an undeniable separation between them.
Finally, the memory ends up being the flashback of the day which Juliet stopped breastfeeding, as the Nurse put a bitter herb around her nipple, Juliet's reaction was a disgusted grin on her face, which make her stop wanting to eat from her breast.
The Nurse refers to this moment as "pretty fool" showing her playfuul and happy tone in recounting this event.

It is clear that the last day of brestfeeding Juliet is an important, tender and vivid memory that the Nurse has, it symbolises a point of Juliet's life where she grew up, which links to the reason why the Nurse is telling us this story; Juliet is soon to turn 14.
The fact that Lady Capulet would not even be able to recount such memory - or any other at all- makes it clear that the Nurse and Juliet had a strong bond of love since the first days of baby Juliet's life.

A scene which encourages the idea of Lady Capulet being distant from Juliet is when in act 1 scene 3 Lady Capulet wants to speak in private with Juliet and asks the Nurse to "give leave awhile." However, right away, Lady Capulet realises that the situation is too intimate and awkward, therefore she calls the Nurse back in. The fact that just by standing in the same room with Juliet alone makes her uncomfortable, shows us that Lady Capulet has no relationship with her own daughter, and she feels like being in the presence of a stranger.

In act 3 scene 5 we see Juliet ask Lady Capulet to help her and delay the wedding with Paris, her mother's response is very cold and tells her "Talk not to me... I have done with thee" . It is quite of a shock for Juliet and for a contemporary audience to see a mother being so uncaring towards her daughter's struggles.

Instead the Nurse represents a positive character that halps Juliet in different occasion. In act 2 scene 4 the Nurse helps Juliet by bringing a message to Romeo, the fact that Juliet trustes the Nurse and is able to talk to her about Romeo shows their close relationship with one another. Istead, the fact that Juliet keeps it as a secret from her mother increases the sense of distance between the two.
In act 2 scene 5 the Nurse is back with the new from Romeo. Here we see Juliet being really excited and childish, asking the Nurse to tell her Romeo's response. She's in fact, being quite rude and demanding of the Nurse "is they good news or bad news" Answer to that". Although she's being an impatient child towards the woman who raised her, the Nurse's patience remains intact and goes ahead telling Juliet about Romeo wanting to marry her.
This scene really reflects the motherhood aspect of the Nurse as she remians calm and understanding toward Juliet. Their relationship remains strong and in complete contrast to Lady Capulet's oblivious behaviour towards Juliet.

Could you send me some from An inspector calls please? Ive never done Romeo and Juliet.
I might have some Romeo and Juliet essays and relationship poetry essays I can send you way? I got a 9 in lit fortunately so they might be useful?
Reply 12
Original post by mat325h
I might have some Romeo and Juliet essays and relationship poetry essays I can send you way? I got a 9 in lit fortunately so they might be useful?

Yes please it would be so so helpful! :heart::heart::heart:

Quick Reply

Latest