mathschemistry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is the significance of the scenes in stave 3 when scrooge is shown the miners and the people on the ship?
Thanks
emmarie02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The first scene Scrooge is shown is of the "place where miners live" and it is described as a "prisoner" of the frost and the sun is setting leaving it in a "thick gloom" that is reminiscent of the atmosphere surrounding Scrooge's counting house at the start of the novella. Light is often used in literature as a symbol of knowledge so the lack of sunlight shows that these people may have been forgotten by society. Nevertheless, these miners are celebrating Christmas around a "glowing fire" which implies that they have knowledge of the correct message behind Christmas in Dickens' opinion: family.

The next scene is of a lighthouse and the setting is described using adjectives with a semantic field of old age and desolation. It is a "solitary lighthouse" which I believe is a comparison to Scrooge's childhood. Once again, these men have "light" from a "fire" and are celebrating Christmas together. Finally, Scrooge is taken to see some men on a boat and although they are "ghostly figures", they are humming Christmas songs and remembering those who they "care for".

All of these people are alone in some respect but they all are celebrating the company of others. I believe that each of these scenes are shown to remind Scrooge of the things he was shown by the Ghost of Christmas Past. Scrooge was lonely when he was younger but even when he had the chance to integrate himself into society, he chose not to do so. These people would do so in an instant if they could. This is a lesson from the Ghost of Christmas Present that it is not our situation in life that determines our identity, it is the people we are surrounded by and ourselves that truly have the biggest influence on our attitudes. It also shows Scrooge that he must use the lessons of Christmas Past in conjunction with the present to make the best of the future.

This is simply my response to the inclusion of those scenes and I hope that it gives you a few ideas! Also, apologies for any mistakes- I wrote it very quickly because my first answer got deleted :/
mathschemistry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads