Eyesight as bad as a bat Watch

Winter Frost
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've just had an awful eye appointment. I'm 16 and my eyesight is -0.85. For those that don't know, that's quite bad. The optician said that if it gets any worse, I won't be able to wear contacts anymore. I've only started wearing them last year!

It's ridiculous. My glasses are so thick. I'm sick of going to the optician every year and knowing I'm going to walk out of there with extra inches on the glasses.

I'm so frustrated. Is there absolutely nothing I can do apart from expensive surgery? I've just come across the theories of Bates. Do they work? I am at the end of my tether!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you asked the optician if there's anythign they can do like operate? Laser?

Needless to say, I (and I daresay the members of TSR) am not familar with this Bates chappy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method - why don't you ask your optician if they think Bates's method works?
struz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wait dude, do you mean -8.5? Because -0.85 is nothing!
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try teaching yourself sonar.
x.Fluffy.x
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MSB)
Try teaching yourself sonar.
Damn. you stole the essence of my line. :p:
northernsongs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay, do you have glasses made of actual glass or this plastic stuff? My eyesight is -8 too, and I've no problem at all... they're not thick at all, I'll get contacts next month, so...
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Plus you cant get -0.85. Its goes up in 0.25 dioptospheres

-8.5 Is probably what would be called a higher range medium prescription. Hoya Ultra thin and light 1.74 lenses make a great difference to edge thickness (ask if your opticians does those ). I know its annoying/worrying, but theres really no point in thinking of lasik until you are about 25. Your prescription may continue to change substantially to this point, meaning you may have to have the procedure done twice/be still left with a lower prescription.

Also, it really depends on all 3 parts of your prescription. Im pretty sure this -8.5 is the sphere? If you have a high Cyl too it makes CL's more difficult to get hold of/they are less corrective. However, although I dont know about these methods Im sceptical of their results

Try not to worry too much..
x
Teao the Cat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try compressed lenses- my eyes are -2.5 and -4.75, so I have one lens compressed, or i'd look seriously weird! I'd have to agree wiht Miss-Scarlett, i'm very sceptical of these so called 'methods'... I have com across so many people who beleive that wearing their glasses makes their sight weaker, when in fact not wearing them is was makes it worse!
edit: just remembered a friend of mine, can't remember his perscription, but its pretty high, higher than contacts go. he wears the strongest contacts, and also carries a pair of glasses for reading, etc that make up the difference in the perscription.
struz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not wearing glasses just strains your eyes and potentially worsens your sight, so I'd steer clear of those methods.
like others above me have said ask your optician if they offer 'ultra thin' lenses. they are more pricey but I believe them to be worth it.
this could be just down to me getting older but I've found that since I've worn contacts my eyes have almost stopped getting worse. I personally think it's because I can see almost perfectly with them. With glasses, there's always a gap between your eyes and the lense so you strain (probably without noticing) your eyes.
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by struz)
not wearing glasses just strains your eyes and potentially worsens your sight, so I'd steer clear of those methods.
like others above me have said ask your optician if they offer 'ultra thin' lenses. they are more pricey but I believe them to be worth it.
this could be just down to me getting older but I've found that since I've worn contacts my eyes have almost stopped getting worse. I personally think it's because I can see almost perfectly with them. With glasses, there's always a gap between your eyes and the lense so you strain (probably without noticing) your eyes.
Id agree with most of what you say ..however Contact Lenses tend to be slightly less corrective than spex. I think it depends on the person, how much close work/studying you are doing, but most most myopes have a couple of years where there prescription suddenly jumps up, I know mine doubled in a 2 year period when I was 15. If that isnt proof that public exams arent bad for your health, I dont know what is :p:
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
Hmm, I wouldn't believe him about contacts if I were you. My mum is about -17 (yes, this does exist, and is almost blindness) in both eyes and has contacts specially made in Japan for her.

I don't know precisely how corrective they are - but she is legal to drive with them in! If your optician can't help you, perhaps see a different optician?
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought most brands of daily lenses went up to at least -10 diopters. And of course there are special orders as Anon says.
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
-0.85 isn't that bad, tbh. I'm -1.25 in one of my eyes. Despite having wobbly eyes (Nystagmus) & a squint, my sight isn't that bad.
BBTOTW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry about it too much! I used to be +9.00 in both eyes but now down to +3.00. As others have said, try asking for thinner lenses/stonger contacts because I'm sure they exist
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Winter Frost)
I've just had an awful eye appointment. I'm 16 and my eyesight is -0.85. For those that don't know, that's quite bad. The optician said that if it gets any worse, I won't be able to wear contacts anymore. I've only started wearing them last year!

It's ridiculous. My glasses are so thick. I'm sick of going to the optician every year and knowing I'm going to walk out of there with extra inches on the glasses.

I'm so frustrated. Is there absolutely nothing I can do apart from expensive surgery? I've just come across the theories of Bates. Do they work? I am at the end of my tether!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
I am 16 and mine is -7.75.

Tough ****, ein?
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
do try compressed! seriously they work.. and they pretty thin..
my dad's a real neatfreak when it comes to glasses(everyone in my family has one) and gets the most compressed for me, as i have the worst eyesight -6.xx on both so it's maybe 3mm thick..
but it's pretty expensive in the western world.. which is why i get my glasses in korea in the summer , im always there in the summer..

contacts i've tried and failed terribly when i was in 7th grade, but i think im going to try in a year or so, right before uni
suicidal_dream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
those thinner lenses are definitely worth it if you don't like the look of it. My eyesight is -6.0 i think... so my sight is pretty bad but as i dont wear glasses enough, it wasn't worth getting the thin lenses.

If you are that worried about it, as others have said, wait until the 'right' age, then get laser treatment!

Do not follow the whole 'wearing glasses makes eyesight worse' - it doesnt.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
Plus you cant get -0.85. Its goes up in 0.25 dioptospheres

-8.5 Is probably what would be called a higher range medium prescription. Hoya Ultra thin and light 1.74 lenses make a great difference to edge thickness (ask if your opticians does those )
Nikon do a 1.9 in glass, which I believe is the thinnest lens you can currently get.

I know its annoying/worrying, but theres really no point in thinking of lasik until you are about 25.
It's also worth knowing that your eyes typically have their biggest changes during adolescence, so don't assume they'll carry on changing at anything like the same rate as time goes on. (I think my eyes got worse by about -4 during adolescence and about -0.5 total in the next 10 years).

As far as contacts go, I wear -10.5 in the worst eye (Acuvue moist), and I think they go down to at least -12 without having to make a special order or anything.
Zoecb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine's -5.25... and? Loads of people are really short-sighted, get over it!
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
Hoya Ultra thin and light 1.74 lenses make a great difference to edge thickness (ask if your opticians does those
Yep, I have 1.74's - they cost me £323. (I have a -10 prescription)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads