a7x1d
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
how do i revise or write an essay about macbeth/christmas carol that is a high grade
TheBeast11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Structure your answer properly (This is for Macbeth)

INCLUDE WORDING FROM QUESTION! <---- VERY IMPORTANT MAKE SURE EVERY PARAGRAPH AND POINT RELATES TO THE QUESTION IT SHOWS FOCUS ON THE ACTUAL QUESTION YOU ARE RESPONDING TO

Pre-amble (Introduction) - cover all your main points in a short summary and also respond to the question
Point - relevant to question, identifying a literary technique and make sure it is sophisticated not just 'Macbeth is a noble character who turns bad' more like 'Macbeth originally shows virtuous characteristics, but his morals are overcome by ambition and
Quote from extract - must include technique, make it analyzable for both whole quote analysis as well as close-text anaylsis
Inference - make it perceptive, orginal and explained and link it to the qustion
Connotations/Close-text analysis - this is key, pick a word or short phrase and explain how that specifically creates whatever the question is asking
Context - make it relevant and devolped
Mini-quote - FROM REST OF PLAY
Mini-inference and connotation - same as above, but shorter
Link back to question.

AS for other things you may want to include, think about the contemporary audience and impact on them/the reader.

mollie241
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by a7x1d)
how do i revise or write an essay about macbeth/christmas carol that is a high grade
I am doing the Edexcel exam and I am studying Macbeth.

For question A the examiner is looking for:
no context
must have reference to language features
explore effect ( all effects must come from specific language, form or structure features in the extract)
consider structure from start to end
Shakespeare's purpose

For question B:
Context linked to theme and plot
Knowledge of the whole play
Shakespeare's purpose
Detached/critical tone

For revision if you know the play quite well i would practice writing essays in the time limit and then maybe give them to your teacher to mark?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads