FreshPrince102
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How should i structure my essay and any tips to get good marks. Romeo and juliet and jekkyl and hyde
Fate_299792458
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Roite

3 Point evidence analysis paragraphs in depth
username3774332
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fate_299792458)
Roite

do you do macbeth?
can you write me a simple introduction summarising a theme like ambition pls
FreshPrince102
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Roite

Are you able to give me a sample answer for an opening paragaraph and second paragraph just so i can have a good idea. Also are there any certain techniques i should use to score good marks from romeo and hyde
Fate_299792458
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
do you do macbeth?
can you write me a simple introduction summarising a theme like ambition pls
I do Much About Nothing unfortunately, however I'd start by mentioning how it is presented throughout the play (sticking to one character if you can)

And from my knowledge the downfall of the MC was being over-ambitious? So you could possibly talk about how, as Shakespeare is presenting to a Christian audience, he is promoting humility by example of the MC or something

Then go in depth on the rest of it
username3774332
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks
i have a 1 year early LIterature gcse on tuesday and trying to get a 9
do you have any big words/phrases i could include
Fate_299792458
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FreshPrince102)
Are you able to give me a sample answer for an opening paragaraph and second paragraph just so i can have a good idea. Also are there any certain techniques i should use to score good marks from romeo and hyde
I can do Jeckyll and Hyde:

Starting with this extract, how does Stevenson present the theme of Dualism?
Write about:
  • How Stevenson presents Dr Jeckyll in this extract
  • How Stevenson presents Dr Jeckyll as a troubled character in the first 7 chapters of the novel

The court was very cool and a little damp, and full of premature twilight, although the sky, high up overhead, was still bright with sunset. The middle one of the three windows was half-way open; and sitting close beside it, taking the air with an infinite sadness of mien, like some disconsolate prisoner, Utterson saw Dr. Jekyll.
‘What! Jekyll!’ he cried. ‘I trust you are better.’
‘I am very low, Utterson,’ replied the doctor, drearily, ‘very low. It will not last long, thank God.’
‘You stay too much indoors,’ said the lawyer. ‘You should be out, whipping up the circulation like Mr. Enfield and me. (This is my cousin — Mr. Enfield — Dr. Jekyll.) Come, now; get your hat and take a quick turn with us.’
‘You are very good,’ sighed the other. ‘I should like to very much; but no, no, no, it is quite impossible; I dare not. But indeed, Utterson, I am very glad to see you; this is really a great pleasure; I would ask you and Mr. Enfield up, but the place is really not fit.’
‘Why then,’ said the lawyer, good-naturedly, ‘the best thing we can do is to stay down here and speak with you from where we are.’
‘That is just what I was about to venture to propose,’ returned the doctor with a smite. But the words were hardly uttered, before the smile was struck out of his face and succeeded
by an expression of such abject terror and despair, as froze the very blood of the two gentlemen below. They saw it but for a glimpse, for the window was instantly thrust down; but that glimpse had been sufficient, and they turned and left the court without a word.
--------------------------------------------------------
Answer:
Stevenson starts this extract by setting the atmosphere of the court 'full of premature twilight', where the 'twilight' is representative of the liminal space in the novella, with Jeckyll being the light, and Hyde the darkness. The specific timing is at sunset, suggesting that the light (Jeckyll), is disappearing, and the darkness (Hyde) will settle in soon, and inevitably will do so, foreshadowing the appearance of Hyde.

Mr Utterson remarks to Jeckyll 'you stay indoors too much', which is atypical of his morally upright character, and demonstrative of Muscular Christian behaviour, in wanting to be outdoors - in the light (goodness), and public light, so as openly saying that he is no sinner - and by encouraging Jeckyll to be with them is obviously suggesting that staying indoors for too long is wrong - as it may suggest that he has something to hide (Hyde), and that he has sin of some sort; that he possibly thinks there is evil present within Jeckyll, and so wants to help Jeckyll return to the outdoors, the light, the good.
username3774332
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dude that is fab!

I can do Jeckyll and Hyde:

Starting with this extract, how does Stevenson present the theme of Dualism?
Write about:
  • How Stevenson presents Dr Jeckyll in this extract
  • How Stevenson presents Dr Jeckyll as a troubled character in the first 7 chapters of the novel

The court was very cool and a little damp, and full of premature twilight, although the sky, high up overhead, was still bright with sunset. The middle one of the three windows was half-way open; and sitting close beside it, taking the air with an infinite sadness of mien, like some disconsolate prisoner, Utterson saw Dr. Jekyll.
‘What! Jekyll!’ he cried. ‘I trust you are better.’
‘I am very low, Utterson,’ replied the doctor, drearily, ‘very low. It will not last long, thank God.’
‘You stay too much indoors,’ said the lawyer. ‘You should be out, whipping up the circulation like Mr. Enfield and me. (This is my cousin — Mr. Enfield — Dr. Jekyll.) Come, now; get your hat and take a quick turn with us.’
‘You are very good,’ sighed the other. ‘I should like to very much; but no, no, no, it is quite impossible; I dare not. But indeed, Utterson, I am very glad to see you; this is really a great pleasure; I would ask you and Mr. Enfield up, but the place is really not fit.’
‘Why then,’ said the lawyer, good-naturedly, ‘the best thing we can do is to stay down here and speak with you from where we are.’
‘That is just what I was about to venture to propose,’ returned the doctor with a smite. But the words were hardly uttered, before the smile was struck out of his face and succeeded
by an expression of such abject terror and despair, as froze the very blood of the two gentlemen below. They saw it but for a glimpse, for the window was instantly thrust down; but that glimpse had been sufficient, and they turned and left the court without a word.
--------------------------------------------------------
Answer:
Stevenson starts this extract by setting the atmosphere of the court 'full of premature twilight', where the 'twilight' is representative of the liminal space in the novella, with Jeckyll being the light, and Hyde the darkness. The specific timing is at sunset, suggesting that the light (Jeckyll), is disappearing, and the darkness (Hyde) will settle in soon, and inevitably will do so, foreshadowing the appearance of Hyde.

Mr Utterson remarks to Jeckyll 'you stay indoors too much', which is atypical of his morally upright character, and demonstrative of Muscular Christian behaviour, in wanting to be outdoors - in the light (goodness), and public light, so as openly saying that he is no sinner - and by encouraging Jeckyll to be with them is obviously suggesting that staying indoors for too long is wrong - as it may suggest that he has something to hide (Hyde), and that he has sin of some sort; that he possibly thinks there is evil present within Jeckyll, and so wants to help Jeckyll return to the outdoors, the light, the good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?