The Student Room Group

Chemical tests for A Level Edexcel Chemistry

Hello fellow students!

I wanted to share a resource that I have created to quickly learn chemical tests:

https://www.memrise.com/course/1923542/edexcel-as-level-chemistry-tests-2/

How does it work? It uses memrise's platform to ask you about the tests and check that you know them. It is similar to duolingo, but for chemical tests (absolutely brilliant!!)

I have pretty much completed the course and it has worked very well for me, it has made it so easy to learn the tests. However, this is designed for languages so there may be some mistakes or errors. If you encounter any please tell me in this thread and I'll fix them asap!!

As well, there are some tricks to remember words which anyone can add, so the more we are using it the better!!

Finally, if you think there would be a topic in which it would be especially useful to have one of these courses tell me and I'll create it. Thank you for giving this a try, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. :smile:

- Yago
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JackusGomux
Hello fellow students!

I wanted to share a resource that I have created to quickly learn chemical tests:

https://www.memrise.com/course/1923542/edexcel-as-level-chemistry-tests-2/

How does it work? It uses memrise's platform to ask you about the tests and check that you know them. It is similar to duolingo, but for chemical tests (absolutely brilliant!!)

I have pretty much completed the course and it has worked very well for me, it has made it so easy to learn the tests. However, this is designed for languages so there may be some mistakes or errors. If you encounter any please tell me in this thread and I'll fix them asap!!

As well, there are some tricks to remember words which anyone can add, so the more we are using it the better!!

Finally, if you think there would be a topic in which it would be especially useful to have one of these courses tell me and I'll create it. Thank you for giving this a try, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. :smile:

- Yago

Looks great! Possibly add hydrogen sulphide to the gases?
Reply 2
Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots
Looks great! Possibly add hydrogen sulphide to the gases?

Hey Areldiots, will do!

I was also thinking of doing another section with organic tests, but I'm not sure which exact tests we need to know, according to the syllabus. Do you know them/have a list?
Original post by JackusGomux
Hey Areldiots, will do!

I was also thinking of doing another section with organic tests, but I'm not sure which exact tests we need to know, according to the syllabus. Do you know them/have a list?

I do AQA, but I'm sure the tests are similar?

What I can think of:

Alkenes - Bromine water

Primary + secondary alcohols - acidified potassium dichromate

Aldehydes and ketones - Tollen's/Fehling's

Carboxylic acids - Sodium Carbonate (or any carbonate)

Edexcel may be different but I'm sure they're similar.
Reply 4
Thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest