Turn on thread page Beta

YEAR 12 2018: What A Levels are you taking and how have you found them? watch

ReputationRep:
    So we've nearly finished our first Year of A Levels and I was wondering how everyone has found each subject. If it was what you expected, if it's hard to revise or if there's a heavy workload!

I feel as though A Levels were a massive step up, especially in workload and managing free time!

I'm studying Spanish, Maths and Geography A Level and have just finished my Further Maths AS (which I'm dropping this year).

Spanish is a subject which I enjoy but find difficult to revise for, especially for the film aspect. Maths is alright although I do find it difficult despite taking Further Maths!! Geography is probably my least favourite but I wouldn't say I dislike it. We've just finished doing our coursework which was SO STRESSFUL. Further Maths was a bonus subject for me and although it was super difficult I loved my lessons, praying I managed to pass it though!

I'm really interested to see how other people find A Levels and whether you have different opinions if you study the same subjects as me!

TurquoiseTurtle :turtle:
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurquoiseTurtle)
    So we've nearly finished our first Year of A Levels and I was wondering how everyone has found each subject. If it was what you expected, if it's hard to revise or if there's a heavy workload!

I feel as though A Levels were a massive step up, especially in workload and managing free time!

I'm studying Spanish, Maths and Geography A Level and have just finished my Further Maths AS (which I'm dropping this year).

Spanish is a subject which I enjoy but find difficult to revise for, especially for the film aspect. Maths is alright although I do find it difficult despite taking Further Maths!! Geography is probably my least favourite but I wouldn't say I dislike it. We've just finished doing our coursework which was SO STRESSFUL. Further Maths was a bonus subject for me and although it was super difficult I loved my lessons, praying I managed to pass it though!

I'm really interested to see how other people find A Levels and whether you have different opinions if you study the same subjects as me!

TurquoiseTurtle :turtle:
    Out of 10 its probably a 5.

Took Maths / Geography / Comp sci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
    Out of 10 its probably a 5.

Took Maths / Geography / Comp sci
    Cool!

Which subjects are your favourite least favourite out of these.

TurquoiseTurtle

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this is a great thread idea, idk why no one replied earlier I do maths, further maths (probably sitting AS next year, maybe A2 if I clean up my act), English lit, French and Latin, and I've found it a bit underwhelming. French is absolutely awful, maths is ok but dull, Latin is ok but sometimes dull and English is the only one I actually love, which is weird considering I almost didn't take it. I just want to go to uni tbh.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    OCR A-Level History H505: Not a huge step up from GCSE History but you are expected to do a lot of reading, note taking and exam practice is crucial.

Edexcel A-Level Economics (Spec A): Quite difficult - Really struggling atm despite using UpLearn with some of the content.

AQA A-Level Sociology: Not bad... Just very content heavy and the textbook sometimes have a load of waffling and crap instead of getting straight to the point.

ReputationRep:
    Y12

Further Maths (OCR): Good fun, not as bad or particularly hard pure, stats was nice in the end and mechanics was an awesome challenge, I hope for a high A in AS

Maths (OCR): Banter, A.

Physics (OCR): It's quite maths heavy in the first year, but hopefully it gets more interesting in the second year (maths heavy doesn't really imply deep maths in this instance), hoping for an A in the AS. The subject itself is quite dry at AS, so long as you apply some maths and common sense it should be good, but it's a tonne of fun with waves, circuits, and quantum.

Chemistry (AQA): Fun subject, fun life, high A me hopes.

The workload felt like literally nothing but I suppose this goes for anyone who does subjects they enjoy. I would've probably died had I taken an essay subject.

I intend on taking all 4 forward to A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    Hey, this is a great thread idea, idk why no one replied earlier I do maths, further maths (probably sitting AS next year, maybe A2 if I clean up my act), English lit, French and Latin, and I've found it a bit underwhelming. French is absolutely awful, maths is ok but dull, Latin is ok but sometimes dull and English is the only one I actually love, which is weird considering I almost didn't take it. I just want to go to uni tbh.
    Thanks, I didn't realise schools still did Latin! Do you know what you want to do at uni?

TurquoiseTurtle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    OCR A-Level History H505: Not a huge step up from GCSE History but you are expected to do a lot of reading, note taking and exam practice is crucial.

Edexcel A-Level Economics (Spec A): Quite difficult - Really struggling atm despite using UpLearn with some of the content.

AQA A-Level Sociology: Not bad... Just very content heavy and the textbook sometimes have a load of waffling and crap instead of getting straight to the point.
    I wish our school did Economics as I'm considering doing it at uni joint with Spanish but don't know whether or not I would enjoy it as I have't had the opportunity to try it out!

TurquoiseTurtle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thotproduct)
    Y12

Further Maths (OCR): Good fun, not as bad or particularly hard pure, stats was nice in the end and mechanics was an awesome challenge, I hope for a high A in AS

Maths (OCR): Banter, A.

Physics (OCR): It's quite maths heavy in the first year, but hopefully it gets more interesting in the second year (maths heavy doesn't really imply deep maths in this instance), hoping for an A in the AS. The subject itself is quite dry at AS, so long as you apply some maths and common sense it should be good, but it's a tonne of fun with waves, circuits, and quantum.

Chemistry (AQA): Fun subject, fun life, high A me hopes.

The workload felt like literally nothing but I suppose this goes for anyone who does subjects they enjoy. I would've probably died had I taken an essay subject.

I intend on taking all 4 forward to A2.
    Good luck carrying on with 4! Personally I couldn't carry on with 4 as the workload was too much as I do lots of others things at school. Hope all of your exams go well

TurquoiseTurtle

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.