Turn on thread page Beta

Courses for aspiring lawyers - what would you like to see? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I know it's a bit quieter here with exams on at the moment, but to those still around - I wanted to ask a favour.

Some of you will have seen my previous thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5111726.

I'm developing a series of courses to help aspiring lawyers better understand the world of business, finance and commercial law. They'll be a series of bite-sized videos with graded quizzes, practical case studies and interviews with practising lawyers.

To begin, I plan to cover an overview of these areas:
    • Mergers and acquisitions
    • Finance
    • Stock markets
    • The wider economy
    • Law firms as a business

Later, I'll branch out into applications/interviews (with examples for each), legal tech, private equity, litigation etc.

I wanted to ask you guys for feedback - the good and the bad. Would you find it useful? Are there any areas you want me to cover that I haven't mentioned?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi P!

I have found your previous thread so useful and the advice has been amazing for interviews etc!

For me personally, I would find it very useful! From my own experience - the term commercial law is too broadly used by law students (including myself) without knowing the full ins and outs! I think explaining what each sub-sector (if you will) will be great and be beneficial in getting an insight into the workings of, for example, heavy private equity firms etc.

Although - If I was being extra demanding, I would prefer videos about the application process/assessment centre tips etc and just an in dept application guide. Thats just me though as I am about to apply for TCs in June/July so for me personally that would be a great help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equitable)
    Hi P!

I have found your previous thread so useful and the advice has been amazing for interviews etc!

For me personally, I would find it very useful! From my own experience - the term commercial law is too broadly used by law students (including myself) without knowing the full ins and outs! I think explaining what each sub-sector (if you will) will be great and be beneficial in getting an insight into the workings of, for example, heavy private equity firms etc.

Although - If I was being extra demanding, I would prefer videos about the application process/assessment centre tips etc and just an in dept application guide. Thats just me though as I am about to apply for TCs in June/July so for me personally that would be a great help!
    That's great feedback, thank you!

Not demanding at all. To clarify, do you mean that you'd prefer I do videos on the app process/assessment centre before I go onto the commercial topics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseverance)
    That's great feedback, thank you!

Not demanding at all. To clarify, do you mean that you'd prefer I do videos on the app process/assessment centre before I go onto the commercial topics?
    No problem!

Yeah, so personally I would find it better if you were to do, like a series of videos, then to get application advice in at the start (especially with TC season looming, I would find that would work best. General advice on the application stage - how to answer competency questions etc and then tips about interviews and ACs from your perspective, having been through the process it would be hugely beneficial.

Also, I see plenty of threads about grades and their importance on TCs, especially with people contemplating self-funding the GDL/LPC so just your view on that etc would probably help many people on TSR. Personally I would love application advice/interview tips/AC tips etc before getting into the heavier topics, though, I see why people might prefer it the other way round so idk

ReputationRep:
    I’d agree with the above poster - most people are going to care much more about getting their foot in the door with applications and interviews, rather than the technical stuff. That’s where the bottle neck is anyway.

For the time being, legal recruitment is quite different to consultancy recruitment which relies more heavily on understanding of case studies etc, which is why people like Victor Cheng have been able to make money out of such an idea for that sector. That might change with the SQE though. The applicants per vacancy in consultancy is also far larger than law (easily 4-5 times the volume), making it a much more competitive industry to get into, meaning there’s more of a market for this type of support.

How much are you thinking of charging for this?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equitable)
    No problem!

Yeah, so personally I would find it better if you were to do, like a series of videos, then to get application advice in at the start (especially with TC season looming, I would find that would work best. General advice on the application stage - how to answer competency questions etc and then tips about interviews and ACs from your perspective, having been through the process it would be hugely beneficial.

Also, I see plenty of threads about grades and their importance on TCs, especially with people contemplating self-funding the GDL/LPC so just your view on that etc would probably help many people on TSR. Personally I would love application advice/interview tips/AC tips etc before getting into the heavier topics, though, I see why people might prefer it the other way round so idk
    That makes a lot of sense and from the feedback I've had so far, a lot of students agree with you. What I'll do is prioritise content for this TC round (including a few things for commercial awareness) and then when things get quieter, I'll go onto the heavier stuff.

(Original post by J-SP)
    I’d agree with the above poster - most people are going to care much more about getting their foot in the door with applications and interviews, rather than the technical stuff. That’s where the bottle neck is anyway.

For the time being, legal recruitment is quite different to consultancy recruitment which relies more heavily on understanding of case studies etc, which is why people like Victor Cheng have been able to make money out of such an idea for that sector. That might change with the SQE though. The applicants per vacancy in consultancy is also far larger than law (easily 4-5 times the volume), making it a much more competitive industry to get into, meaning there’s more of a market for this type of support.

How much are you thinking of charging for this?
    Thanks for your thoughts. A friend recently told me about Victor Cheng - I must say he makes me laugh, but he's very good at what he does! That does seem to be the consensus re: the application/interview advice, especially in the short term.

I won't be charging for these. It's a bit of a trial run for me, but if they're useful, I just want to get them in front of as many applicants as I can.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

This would be super helpful - thank you so much! Also, I think it'd be good to maybe have a few questions from the list of 175 (or however many!) TC questions on the Corporate Law Academy specific to these topics with some model answers, maybe?

Looking forward to this. Thanks for everything you do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTCwannabe)
    Hey

This would be super helpful - thank you so much! Also, I think it'd be good to maybe have a few questions from the list of 175 (or however many!) TC questions on the Corporate Law Academy specific to these topics with some model answers, maybe?

Great idea. I'll add this to the interview course (and see how many questions I can get through!)

ReputationRep:
    Great idea. I'll add this to the interview course (and see how many questions I can get through!)
    Another thought - more to do with the process of applications - but advice for Watson Glaser tests etc would be incredibly helpful, if there's any possible way to do this!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

If this is done, please can you not do model answers, but instead explain how to answer it.

Model answers are the easiest way for someone to copy and paste, change a few words around and think the answer is good enough.

The instance you use the phrase “model answers” too many people think that’s how they should respond, which ironically is more likely to lead to their application becoming bland and predictable, rather than genuine and unique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    If this is done, please can you not do model answers, but instead explain how to answer it.

Model answers are the easiest way for someone to copy and paste, change a few words around and think the answer is good enough.
    Not what I was after - lots of people learn from 'what a good one looks like'.

The questions are those that crop up in interviews anyway so they would require being made personal anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Not what I was after - lots of people learn from 'what a good one looks like'.

The questions are those that crop up in interviews anyway so they would require being made personal anyway.
    It might not be what you would do, but it is what a lot of others will do. Seen it time and time again, so much so I was able to reference where bast**dised “model answers” had come from on many occasions. People start using language and phrases that are not their own and it contrasts so badly to everything else they write on their CV/application that it tends to stand out like a sore thumb.

It doesn’t stop people repeating them in interview either. And in fact it can get worse at interview - you either let interviewers down where your “personal” answers don’t match up to your application, or candidates quickly stumble once they are asked a follow up question.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Hey where can I find theses TC questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G. Man)
    Hey where can I find theses TC questions?
    Here's the link, the website is great in general, so you should have a look!

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.c...iew-questions/

ReputationRep:
    Another thought - more to do with the process of applications - but advice for Watson Glaser tests etc would be incredibly helpful, if there's any possible way to do this!
    Thanks, a few months ago I looked into getting a mock Watson Glaser test (ideally to run through some questions), but I don't think they ever got back to me. Will see what I can do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, a few months ago I looked into getting a mock Watson Glaser test (ideally to run through some questions), but I don't think they ever got back to me. Will see what I can do.
    You’d have to pay for a mock assessment, and thats for each time someone takes it.

Plus you’d need to have a psychometric qualification to buy one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You’d have to pay for a mock assessment, and thats for each time someone takes it.

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks for the heads up.
    I’d just recommend pulling together a list of resources for free psychometric tests. That’s what I have done in the past. Only problem is that it means very little as the person taking the test doesn’t really know how they are performing, as any practice test is not marked against a norm group (which is the most important/distinguishing part).

Give me a shout when you come round to that content though, can provide you with loads of bits and pieces that might be of use.

Last time I looked at getting WG practice tests for a work project, it was something like £18 a go 😑

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Do you agree with WG prep? All my uni's trainees at the top firms swore by it and were willing to pay 100 quid for the services.

To OP, I for one would be more interested to peek behind the curtain as it were. I think there is a lot of TC app info online already, and this would be derivative (albeit useful to many). Would be more original and I think generally more insightful if you went down the technical route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I’d just recommend pulling together a list of resources for free psychometric tests. That’s what I have done in the past. Only problem is that it means very little as the person taking the test doesn’t really know how they are performing, as any practice test is not marked against a norm group (which is the most important/distinguishing part).

Give me a shout when you come round to that content though, can provide you with loads of bits and pieces that might be of use.

Last time I looked at getting WG practice tests for a work project, it was something like £18 a go 😑
    That's kind of you, thanks, I will do.

Out of interest, what do you make of the WG/verbal reasoning test as a recruiting tool for law firms?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.