The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Certainly.
When I took my gap year, many of the people I was travelling with were uni graduates.

Do it now, before you get caught up in jobs/careers/family nonsense.
Reply 2
Yes, I will probably go on one. I'm planning to teach in China during 2009.
Reply 3
Thats my plan
My brother and his girlfriend did it, but they just took four months out and then got jobs on their return to England, they spent a month in the U.S, a month in Australia and two months in New Zealand. Alright for some!
Reply 5
Lexis
Certainly.
When I took my gap year, many of the people I was travelling with were uni graduates.

Do it now, before you get caught up in jobs/careers/family nonsense.

I'm in my first year, but when I graduate I might just do it.
Id be more likely (if it were possible) to doss around for a month or so after finishing, then get a job for the best part of a year, or until I had what I considered to be enough money, and then have a year or however long off. Just so I could fund having a good time and not get into any more debt.

Having said that, its unlikely to happen. Ill see what happens when I get to that point, got a few years to think about it.
Reply 7
I know in my first and second year nearly everyone I spoke to said they would be taking a gap year after they graduate - but now, coming towards the end of the third year, everyone is swfitly cancelling their plans and eager to enter the real world of work. People certainly do do it, but you might find you've changed your mind come your final year :smile:
Reply 8
Im planning on taking a year out when i finish this summer... I went travelling for a month around europe last summer and loved it so much so I am planning on doing some more! I feel like I need a break from uni before I start work (as I havent had a gap year) and if you dont travel now, when are u?? plus a lot of graduate jobs allow u to defer entry so u can apply for jobs in your last year of uni but not actually start to the following year which is good if u want to explore the world before starting work! :biggrin:
Reply 9
rottcodd
I know in my first and second year nearly everyone I spoke to said they would be taking a gap year after they graduate - but now, coming towards the end of the third year, everyone is swfitly cancelling their plans and eager to enter the real world of work. People certainly do do it, but you might find you've changed your mind come your final year :smile:

Really? I've found the opposite - the closer leaving Uni comes, the more people decide that they don't want to work yet/haven't been successful in applications, and so are going to take a gap year. Admittedly most don't seem to have planned it out, but a lot of people I've spoken to are planning a gap year who were originally planning to work...
Reply 10
Poica
Really? I've found the opposite - the closer leaving Uni comes, the more people decide that they don't want to work yet/haven't been successful in applications, and so are going to take a gap year. Admittedly most don't seem to have planned it out, but a lot of people I've spoken to are planning a gap year who were originally planning to work...

That's because you go to a university which contains students with aspirations. As compared to mine where most of them are eager to go back to living with their parents until they are at least 30 and work in Tesco's for the rest of their lives.
rottcodd
That's because you go to a university which contains students with aspirations. As compared to mine where most of them are eager to go back to living with their parents until they are at least 30 and work in Tesco's for the rest of their lives.

i 4t u were at oxbridge?
Reply 12
hermaphrodite
i 4t u were at oxbridge?

No, where did you get that idea from? I never even applied there. I'm at Essex for my undergrad and am going to Bristol for postgrad.
Reply 13
Me! My degree has totally put me off ever working in a lab, and I'm not really sure what else I want to do. I also planned to have a gap year before uni, but that didn't work out, so definitely feel I need some time off now.
I'm planning to travel around Europe a bit in the summer, then move home for 6 months and get a job/ work experience in healthcare, then travel Asia for 3/4 months, then come back home and continue in my chosen career path that will have become crystal clear in my year of soul searching and work experience (or just go back to working in the garden centre that has been my summer job during uni....)