mollyjm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I know this seems like a random and strange thing to ask about :blah:

In all of the Uni Tips articles I have read around the Googles, they all say to wedge open your door with a doorstop or books or whatnot. After I got my accommodation offer for charlotte court, it said in the rule book thingy that I will get fined for wedging open my door. If I can't wedge my door open, will I still be included by all of my flatmates or will I be ignored on the first day because my door is shut?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mollyjm)

In all of the Uni Tips articles I have read around the Googles, they all say to wedge open your door with a doorstop or books or whatnot. After I got my accommodation offer for charlotte court, it said in the rule book thingy that I will get fined for wedging open my door. If I can't wedge my door open, will I still be included by all of my flatmates or will I be ignored on the first day because my door is shut?
You will have a communal area for a reason. My uni advises you to keep your door locked at all times you aren't in it. If something is stolen from or broken in your room because you left it unlocked you aren't covered by insurance. If you want to be social just hang about in the communal area.
Student773
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When I first started as a fresher two years ago we had the same rule (everyone ignored it), but initially everyone was just unpacking so the doors were closed anyway then in the afternoon we all got to know each other in the kitchen

I'm sure they won't exclude you, in our flat, we had a group chat and just knocked on each other's doors if we wanted to hang out! x
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hey,

I think the advice about keeping your door open is pretty common and can be a good way to greet people as they come in, but I don't think it's a necessity for meeting people. You might move in at different times anyway, and for the first day people's parents tend to stick around and help them sort out their rooms or go into town with them to buy things.

For me, everyone moved in at different times so it wasn't like we were all stuck in our rooms unpacking at once. When I got there, a few people were already there and came out to say hi (they knew I was coming from the group chat). They wanted to see what my room was like and after I'd unpacked and spent some time with my dad who brought me, I met back up with them in the kitchen. As other people arrived, we just let them do their own thing with unpacking, and basically stayed in the shared space so that we could meet new people and get to know each other.

I think a better idea could just be listening out for people arriving and going to introduce yourself, showing that you want to make an effort with them whether they're ready to start settling in yet or not.

I'd say in general, people want to meet you and introduce themselves so as long as you don't stay in your room with the door closed, it's okay to go in there and sort your things out before going back out and chatting to people.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other worries!

Ellie
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi there,

I didn't have my door wedged open in halls when I first got there but I still made an effort to meet my flat mates and they knocked on my door and I did to them too as well as meeting in the kitchen. The wedge not being allowed is to do I assume with fire doors and fire safety. I think that if you only wedge it open when you are in the room you should be fine, juts don't leave it open when you leave. And if you cant keep it open at all then everyone will not be able to as ell so it will just be a case of knocking on doors which is also a great way to get to know people.

Hope that helps!

Chandni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (242)
57.62%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (54)
12.86%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.57%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.29%

Watched Threads