The Student Room Group

At what age did you learn to cook?

I’m in my mid twenties and I’m still wobbly!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was 15 and I started cooking after I binged a ton of Gordon Ramsay recipe videos. First proper meal I made was actually chicken tikka masala, pretty much from scratch. It was good.
Reply 2
Used to watch my Grandma and Mum. Started with some easy things and progressed from there really.
Reply 3
It's ongoing. At a pretty young age (like 7 or something) I learned how to do some basic stuff like cook pasta and beans on the hob, make toast, put things in the oven for the time it says on the packet etc. Since then I've learned how to do other things like stir-fry, curry, lasagne, soup from scratch, risotto, following recipes reasonably well, working out how long something needs to be cooked for. I still haven't (and probably never will) learned how to do more complex things.
By teens I would have been capable of following basic recipes or throwing together basic ingredients. Never did much and the results won't have been perfect, but I would be able to feed myself.

If you're wanting to learn how to do more stuff youtube is a pretty decent tool. And it helps to remember that cooking isn't an exact art. Most things can be adapted and will survive a bit of screw ups so it's very much a think you can learn by doing.
I think around 10/11 I first started properly learning. Food tech at school helped a lot.
Reply 5
I'm pretty basic when it comes to cooking

use to know how to make apple crumble and apple pie and stuff due to cooking lessons at school when i was like 13 [do they still have them btw?]

but i've completely forgotten all that, ...and apart from stuff you can basically just put in the oven and turn once or twice .....there's not a lot of other stuff i can do. I can fry and egg and cook rice but not a lot else

i'm going to try cooking steak for the first time today, i just hope that i don't poison myself
Me and my mum used to do baking from a very young age - young enough that I had to stand on a chair to reach the kitchen worktop. So I knew the basics from that. We used to make scones all the time - can still remember the recipe off by heart even now. As for savory foods, home economics (food tech) at school when I was about 11/12 was where I started with that. I remember making carbonara, macaroni, pizza, etc.

Nowadays, though, I'm 15 and I just like to chuck something in the oven for the amount of time it says on the packet. Or instant micro noodles. Love those! Apart from the time last year when I just decided randomly that I would make those scones we used to make when I was little!
(edited 5 years ago)
19, during first year of uni I used to take my parents food with me and freeze it but by second year I got tired of that + I'm on slimming world so I started cooking for myself, really glad I did now.
Age 17-18 I learned the basics.

It was at 21 or 22 I became interested in cooking and baking and started making things from scratch.
Started with making those cake packet mixtures you get from the supermarket with my nan when I was about 10, can't remember making anything decent in Food Tech lessons at school apart from leek and potato soup, learnt the basics before uni and now, mid 20s, I'm a pretty good cook
(edited 5 years ago)
I learned to cook boiled water at the tender age of 16.
Reply 11
I'm 24 and I make a delicious pot noodle.
at a very young age with the basics and now can do some mean dishes. :smile:
Reply 13
I only know how to make cereal and sandwiches. :emo:
I started baking at 8 or 9 and cooking like meals at around 10-11
I become the official tea and coffee barista of the house at 9 BEAT THAT :colonhash:
And i made my first cup of nesquik milk at 5 SO :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Spoiler

Original post by blackrain
I become the official tea and coffee barista of the house at 9 BEAT THAT :colonhash:
And i made my first cup of nesquik milk at 5 SO :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Spoiler

This is why I make instant coffee... it's just so... instant.
Oh and I love Nesquik btw! Haven't had it for many many years though.
(edited 5 years ago)
Things like beans on toast at 9, but more complicated things at 10.
At age 7, I could cook most of my meals, I just always had an interest in cooking and cooking shows.
At 10 when I was first left home alone(plse don’t make any legal stuff comments) I learnt basics like cereal for breakfast and tea and toast etc.. then obviously the school food tech stuff that turned out pretty decent most of the time(in year 7/8/9) and now I’m 16 I’m slowly very slowly starting to cook proper meals myself from time to time and learning more.

Quick Reply

Latest