Benjidude
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Do you recommend doing an EPQ?

How many hours did it take you?

Where did you get sources from?

Is it hard to get an A? / How do you get an A?

Thanks!!!
H1413
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I recommend it!!! To be honest it took quite a long time (about an hour a week for a year maybe?) and I don't think my universities regarded it as very important, but it was interesting and helped me with lots of skills, so I guess it's a question of whether or not it's worth it for you. I got my sources online from Google Scholar and stuff. I got an A* but a lot of people at my school got lower grades when their projects were really good, so I'm not really sure how to get an A, but your teachers should be able to give you advice on it hopefully. Good luck!
Benjidude
Rep:
?
(Original post by H1413)
Yeah I recommend it!!! To be honest it took quite a long time (about an hour a week for a year maybe?) and I don't think my universities regarded it as very important, but it was interesting and helped me with lots of skills, so I guess it's a question of whether or not it's worth it for you. I got my sources online from Google Scholar and stuff. I got an A* but a lot of people at my school got lower grades when their projects were really good, so I'm not really sure how to get an A, but your teachers should be able to give you advice on it hopefully. Good luck!
Ok, thank you for sharing your wisdom!
EmilySarah00
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! I did an EPQ in 2016/17 and I found it a really useful experience so I'd definitely recommend it, plus some universities include it within offer conditions / give lower offers if you do well in EPQ so it's well worth doing! I can't say exactly how many hours my EPQ took me but I'd guess about 40/50? I spent a very long time gathering research and piecing together a way I'd be able to make my essay 'work' in my brain before setting to and writing it, the actual writing of the essay however probably took me not much longer than 10 hours? I used a variety of sources, mainly websites, but also a book and I went to a museum, I think using a variety of sources really helps boost your grade. As for how to get an A / A* (I managed an A*) I believe that the documentation you provide alongside your essay is just as important to the essay itself and you should put lots of effort into it as that's where you can gain lots of marks. We had to provide source evaluations and lots of evidence of structured research alongside our essays as well as a couple of other things, and I spent loads of time on those. Best of luck if you choose to do EPQ and I hope this helps!

(I also moved this thread over to the EPQ forum for you so you may get more responses in there )
Samosa and Vada
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do not recommend doing an EPQ. I believe it is better to do another AS Level.
Benjidude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Samosa and Vada)
I do not recommend doing an EPQ. I believe it is better to do another AS Level.
Ok, why is that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.11%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
27.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.7%

Watched Threads