13kattybelle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What’s the best way to revise for English Literature?
anonymous69gcse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bruffy
MaddyMcCubbine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anonymous69gcse)
bruffy
so true
a mind at work
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 13kattybelle)
What’s the best way to revise for English Literature?
Character profiles, key quotes on cue cards stuck around rooms in your house, essay plans, read sample answers on website, and, of course, use Mr Bruff videos on YouTube (also Mr Salles is really good!!)
13kattybelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by a mind at work)
Character profiles, key quotes on cue cards stuck around rooms in your house, essay plans, read sample answers on website, and, of course, use Mr Bruff videos on YouTube (also Mr Salles is really good!!)
Do you know any good ways to revise the poems ?
13kattybelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by a mind at work)
Thankyou , this is great
GreenSpoon125
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
-Read through summaries of each text online if you haven't read them in a while
-Don't learn too many quotes or you'll get confused in the exam (five to ten for each text)
-Focus on the texts that you struggle the most with
a mind at work
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mainly just watched Mr Bruff videos, bought and listened to a podcast which read the poems and analysed them called AQA Power and Conflict GCSE Poetry Anyhology Audio Tutorials (change that 'Power and Conflict' part to 'Love and Relationships' if need be) made cue cards for each poem doing some key analysis) and made other cue cards of what to compare to what in the anthology.
username3682542
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mr bruff
mollie241
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For poetry I personally would pick 4-5 poems all of which are quite different to each other and focus on them. That way you should definitely have a poem you know really well that you can use in the exam. Of course you should revise the other poems as well but not as much.
As for how to revise I would make flash cards and on one side I would put the poem and on the other I would put: context, summary of poem, 3-4 language/form/structure points from the poem with quotes and key themes in the poem. By doing it on a Flashcard you are making sure you don’t have pages and pages of things to remember.
Also for revision I would practise writing essays and then in possible give them to your teacher to mark.
yoongles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for english i take every theme (order and disorder, guilt, secrecy, etc) and write down three main points i would use in an essay for them. it literally saved my life. a lot of points overlap as well for example if you do jekyll and hyde so many paragraphs for essays on secrecy could be tweaked slightly and used for an essay on religion, friendship, duality, curiosity etc.... so if you have time plan some paragraphs with points that can be used for a wide range of essays.

mr bruff is good but remember literally everyone taking the exam is watching him, so most people who only rely on him will all have the same points..

good luck tomorrow!!!
Taesthetichope
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What I used to do is that I would speak them aloud EVERYWHERE and piss my classmates off with it, but in retrospect it helped both me and them remember quotes
Taesthetichope
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Taesthetichope)
What I used to do is that I would speak them (quotes) aloud EVERYWHERE and piss my classmates off with it, but in retrospect it helped both me and them remember quotes
I also liked drawing character and theme mindmaps and writing important quotes around them

Remember to familiarise yourself with as much context as you can and something good to get a 9 is to include critics quotes I.e critics that have read the books and documented their take on the text you are reading. If you want I have a book of Macbeth critic quotes that I can send to you if you do Macbeth
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the English exams and study help forum where hopefully you'll get more answers In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.17%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (102)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
37.95%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.32%

Watched Threads