Turn on thread page Beta

Maths and Further Maths modules...AS and A2 watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically wondering which ones were maths and Further Maths and if they were AS or A2 modules.

I know compulsaory for maths is:
    C1-C4
    and F.maths is:
    FP1-FP2

Need to know:
    D1-
    D2-
    M1-
    M2-
    S1-
    S2-

Could you please qoute and put either Maths or FM by each one and write if it is AS or A2 module.

Also with the modules can you say do D1 for AS and do M2 for A2 both in normal maths? (not sure if you can do one (M2) before the first module of that topic)

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's a modular course.

C1+C2+ any applied unit make a maths AS level
    C1+C2+C3+C4 + any 2 applied units make a maths A level

FP1+ any two applied units make a further maths AS level
    FP1 + FP2 or FP3 + any four applied units make a further maths A level

Edit: You're examined on the modules individually, and then the exam board compose them to give you your best grades, prioritising Maths.

ReputationRep:
    OK. You can only do the _2 module if you have done the _1 module in one a-level. Thus, you can do M1 + M2 in maths and then S1 + S2 in FM but not M1 + S2 in maths and S1 + M2 in FM. You can do something like S1 + D1 in maths and then M1 + M2 but the 2 has to be with a 1 in one a level, they cannot be mixed. In all cases the _1 modules are AS and the _2 modules are A2 but that doesnt matter.

ReputationRep:
    Whether an applied module is maths or further maths depends on how you want to cash it in. With me, both my statistics modules will most likely go into further maths where as M1 + M2 are probably going to Maths.

As for AS vs A2, it again depends on how you're cashing it in. I mean, you could cash it in like

Maths AS + A2: C1-C4 + M1 + M2
    AS FM: FP1 + D1 + D2
    A2 FM: FP2 + S1 + S2

So we can't really give you a definitive answer. Don't worry about it too much, if you don't cash anything in until you complete both maths and further A-levels, the board will maximise your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Do we actually cash in? Like do we actually tell Edexcel or AQA or OCR what modules we'd like to use for which award or do they do it automatically to give you the best possible mark in both... because from my statement of entry, I got entered for the units and for the award, I've never written down specifically that I want M1, M2 for my A level Mathematics for example...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinolisss)
    Do we actually cash in? Like do we actually tell Edexcel or AQA or OCR what modules we'd like to use for which award or do they do it automatically to give you the best possible mark in both... because from my statement of entry, I got entered for the units and for the award, I've never written down specifically that I want M1, M2 for my A level Mathematics for example...
    If you didn't cash anything at AS or in the January exams (so you cash all 12 modules in in June), then the board will maximise your grade. The way they do it is first they give you the highest possible grade in Maths A-level (so they bring this up to 480 if possible) and then they put the highest modules into Further Maths. So for example, if you had

C1-C4 + M1 + S1 - 100%
    M2 - 70%
    S2-S3 - 85%
    FP1 - FP3 - 75%

A stupid way to cash it in would be to say

Maths A-level: C1-C4 + M1 + S1 - 600/600 - A
    Further Maths A-Level: FP1-FP3 + M2 + S2-S3 - 465/600 - B

The board would probably do it like

Maths A-level: C1-C4 + M1 + M2 - 570/600 - A
    Further Maths A-level: FP1-FP3 + S1-S3 - 495/600 - A

So you ended up with AA instead of AB.

ReputationRep:
    ADs has been said before, the board distribute the modules to give the best grades, with Maths as priotity, BUT, the cannot put a 1 module in FM and a 2 in normal, e.g. they couldn't put D1 in FM, and D2 in normal.

Also (I don't know about any other boards), in OCR, we didn't technically get a grade at AS for FM, instead waiting until we had completed either Maths, or Maths and FM, and distributing the modules then. For normal maths, they simply picked the highest modules and put them in for AS.

Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Can we resit some modules in a gap year?

IF we get a levels in June can we do some parts later (neext jan) and can they still count?

COz i need AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thereddevil)
    Can we resit some modules in a gap year?

IF we get a levels in June can we do some parts later (neext jan) and can they still count?

COz i need AA
    Yes but you need to ask to decertify your grades (and there's a deadline for it after results day). This basically uncashes them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Yes but you need to ask to decertify your grades (and there's a deadline for it after results day). This basically uncashes them.
    Does that go for all subjects? physics,history (OCR)

How far is the deadline? months, weeks days?

If you uncertify you get to keep absolutely everything right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thereddevil)
    Does that go for all subjects? physics,history (OCR)

How far is the deadline? months, weeks days?

If you uncertify you get to keep absolutely everything right?
    Yes, it does. I don't know exactly when the deadline is, I think you get till like 12th of September or something. If you decertify it, then yes, you get to keep your module marks.

Actually now that I think about it, I remember reading that from this year on, they're doing something funny with decertification. I can't remember what though. It might be that you can't decertify AS grades anymore, but you may like to find out yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You could no longer decline your grades from Summer 2007.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    You could no longer decline your grades from Summer 2007.
    What does that mean?

Can i not do resits in gap yr?

ReputationRep:
    I think, but your exam officer at shcool/college would be the best to ask, that you can decide to decline aggregation of any given A-Level, and then retake/take modules in the following year, but, as the default answer is to cash in, after the A2 year, you need to actually tell the exam board about it.

Otherwise, you would need to resit the entire set of exams/coursework (which would need to be different from the previous one that you used).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibbleJW)
    I think, but your exam officer at shcool/college would be the best to ask, that you can decide to decline aggregation of any given A-Level, and then retake/take modules in the following year, but, as the default answer is to cash in, after the A2 year, you need to actually tell the exam board about it.

Otherwise, you would need to resit the entire set of exams/coursework (which would need to be different from the previous one that you used).
    Sounds a beach

Best off to not get my alevels this year then?

Will I still get my results then?(in aug)

ReputationRep:
    ID think that you get your results, then choose to decline them.

ReputationRep:
    I think we don't have to decline anymore, I think from sometime onwards the results will be chosen automatically...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinolisss)
    I think we don't have to decline anymore, I think from sometime onwards the results will be chosen automatically...
    So is that a no to resists in gap years then?

ReputationRep:
    hah? I don't understand your question... obviously if you cash in for an award you have to uncash for the award to resit... but you don't have to choose the modules you would like to decline or not...

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry i found out that theres no declining anymore.
    If you want to resit it just goes on top of your other results.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.