Favourite anime of the year so far

Watch
lukequ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, so we've had some great anime release this year; be it more action-orientated anime like Megalo Box, Tokyo Ghoul :re and the soul-crushing Devilman Crybaby, or something a little more mellow and slice-of-life such as Violet Evergarden, I've really enjoyed some of the new releases.

How about you? What's your favourite been? Got any anime you're looking forward to? Any anime you were disappointing with - cough Black Clover cough - or was just plain bad?

- Luke
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lukequ)
Hey, so we've had some great anime release this year; be it more action-orientated anime like Megalo Box, Tokyo Ghoul :re and the soul-crushing Devilman Crybaby, or something a little more mellow and slice-of-life such as Violet Evergarden, I've really enjoyed some of the new releases.

How about you? What's your favourite been? Got any anime you're looking forward to? Any anime you were disappointing with - cough Black Clover cough - or was just plain bad?

- Luke
I'd say my favourite series to have started in 2018 so far is Sora yori mo Tooi Basho; this season's continuation of Boku no Hero Academia 3, Steins;Gate 0 and Lupin III Part V (with its new, longer arc format) are definitely contenders, though. If we count series that started last year but ended in 2018, 3-gatsu no Lion 2 has all the above beat.

In terms of older series that I happened to watch this year, Mahou no Stage Fancy Lala would be the highlight of a typically obscure lineup.
lukequ
Rep:
?
Argh, I'll be honest, haven't watched any of those; mostly attributable to the fact that I'm easily scared off by several season long anime; also, I caught up with all of the Tokyo Ghoul :re manga, which took me absolutely ages.

Maahoutsukai No Yome was another one I rather enjoyed; quite nice to see an anime that isn't set either in the middle of Tokyo or some high school. It had a rather nice magical feel.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of bad series from 2018, of those I actually watched to the end, Ito Junji "Collection" was a real disappointment. I like the guy's manga usually, but you could tell a lot of these already short stories were cut down to fit the episodes, making them feel rushed, unfinished or nonsensical. Citrus was marginally better, started alright, but dragged on too long as a lot of romance series tend to, shoehorning in new characters to create new drama.

I've made no poor anime decisions this season (so far, though who knows how they'll end); Cutie Honey Universe was starting to get a little stale, but the most recent ep made up for that.
lukequ
Rep:
?
I am 30+ episodes deep in the festering pile of sh*t that is Black Clover.

Ugh.
JDieMstr
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The disastrous life of Saiki...or something like that. Not a bad anime.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Got any anime you're looking forward to?
Having to look at the next few seasons' lineups for this - I tend to take each one as it comes, so haven't a clue what's on the horizon. Immediate thoughts:

Summer 2018: Shingeki no Kyojin S3, Hataraku Saibou, Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa

Autumn 2018: ...not much. Goblin Slayer, perhaps? I'm hoping the lineup will improve in the coming months!

Undated: Sidonia no Kishi 3, Made in Abyss 2, Chihayafuru 3, Etotama 2, Pluto.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am 30+ episodes deep in the festering pile of sh*t that is Black Clover.

Ugh.
I jumped ship at about episode 6-7. Quitting is always an option (though it took me years of forcing myself through every bad show that I started before I finally came to appreciate that). :p:
lukequ
Rep:
?
I'm going to be rather basic and fess up:

God damn am I looking forward to more Yuri on Ice. I can't get enough of good yaoi.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cory in the house
lukequ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rainfall)
Cory in the house
I'm partial to Dora The Explorer. Season 2's character arcs are through the roof.
TSR Mustafa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Made in abyss came out 2017 , but just finshed it.

Megalo box and Boku no hero are good too.
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'After the rain' (Koi wa Ameagari no You ni) is my favourite 2018 release that I completed. Having said that, the current season of My Hero Academia is showing great promise too.
lukequ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Insecable)
'After the rain' (Koi wa Ameagari no You ni) is my favourite 2018 release that I completed. Having said that, the current season of My Hero Academia is showing great promise too.
I still need to watch season one of My Hero Academia..
MushiRock11
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Having to look at the next few seasons' lineups for this - I tend to take each one as it comes, so haven't a clue what's on the horizon. Immediate thoughts:

Summer 2018: Shingeki no Kyojin S3, Hataraku Saibou, Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa

Autumn 2018: ...not much. Goblin Slayer, perhaps? I'm hoping the lineup will improve in the coming months!

Undated: Sidonia no Kishi 3, Made in Abyss 2, Chihayafuru 3, Etotama 2, Pluto.
lukequ We’ve got Sword Art Online: Aliciazation, Fairy Tail(2018), Re;Zero OVA and Taoru Majutsu no Index S3 this Fall/Autumn so those are some to look forward to. As for this Summer, there’s Free: Dive to the Future, Overlord III, Angels of Death, Banana Fish and Grand Blue which, in addition to AngryJellyFish’s list, should quench our Summer thirst of anime.

As for those undated, I have got plenty. Here goes...
One Punch Man 2,
Danmachi S2,
Chihayafuru 3,
Kabenari of the Iron Fortress Movie,
Shirobako Movie,
Tiger and Bunny S2,
Accel World S2,
Grisaia Movie.
And a few others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise