The Student Room Group

Higher Physics

Hello, I'm currently in the midst of sitting my higher exams at the moment and have made choices for sixth year. I have chosen advanced chemistry, biology and maths, however, I would also like to crash higher physics. Dependent on exam results I would apply to medicine, but failing five As I think I would apply to maths. Has anyone ever crashed higher physics? If so, is it manageable? Any advice whatsoever would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Hello, I crashed physics in S6 and got an A. Here are some tips:
-Prepare a lot for your prelim. While your prelim result is meaningless, doing well in it will make studying for the final exam easier.
-Make sure that you understood all concepts at the time of learning (ie don't skip over something and say that you will come back to it later).
-Start doing past papers and go over them. Similarly to maths, most of physics can only be learned through tedious equations and practice. Of course concepts in theory cannot be learned like this, you either need to memorise them or be confident enough to know them intuitively. Luckily for you the SQA recycle similar questions about the same areas of physics, so it is actually possible to recognise how to answer a theory question by practicing others.

Good luck
Original post by ferm4t
Hello, I crashed physics in S6 and got an A. Here are some tips:
-Prepare a lot for your prelim. While your prelim result is meaningless, doing well in it will make studying for the final exam easier.
-Make sure that you understood all concepts at the time of learning (ie don't skip over something and say that you will come back to it later).
-Start doing past papers and go over them. Similarly to maths, most of physics can only be learned through tedious equations and practice. Of course concepts in theory cannot be learned like this, you either need to memorise them or be confident enough to know them intuitively. Luckily for you the SQA recycle similar questions about the same areas of physics, so it is actually possible to recognise how to answer a theory question by practicing others.

Good luck

I'm still undecided, however, thank you for your reply - I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending