The Student Room Group

Scatter graph variables

I want to investigate the relationship between Ofsted rankings and property prices.

I want to graph a scatter graph.

Would house prices go on the bottom (x axis) and ranking on the y axis?

This produces a strange graph where all the points are clustered vertically along the x axis - this doesn't look right to me.

Should I put house prices on the y axis instead?

Thank you.
Original post by janesom
I want to investigate the relationship between Ofsted rankings and property prices.

I want to graph a scatter graph.

Would house prices go on the bottom (x axis) and ranking on the y axis?

If you were thinking in term of one variable “explaining” the other, which way around would you put it? House prices “explaining” Osted ranks, or Ofsted ranks “explaining” house prices? (NB, I think a case could be made for either way around!) Which possibility do you want to illustrate?

It would be normal practice to put the explanatory variable on the x-axis and the outcome on the y-axis. Also note, that one of your variables is a rank, so it is an ordinal variable whose absolute value has little meaning. Therefore you shouldn’t be fitting a regression line to your data! The fact that the Ofsted rank is a categorical variable also explains the odd appearence of you plot. This is quite normal.

I note that the x-axis of your graph has repeated values...looks like something has gone wrong...
Reply 2
Original post by Gregorius
If you were thinking in term of one variable “explaining” the other, which way around would you put it? House prices “explaining” Osted ranks, or Ofsted ranks “explaining” house prices? (NB, I think a case could be made for either way around!) Which possibility do you want to illustrate?

It would be normal practice to put the explanatory variable on the x-axis and the outcome on the y-axis. Also note, that one of your variables is a rank, so it is an ordinal variable whose absolute value has little meaning. Therefore you shouldn’t be fitting a regression line to your data! The fact that the Ofsted rank is a categorical variable also explains the odd appearence of you plot. This is quite normal.

I note that the x-axis of your graph has repeated values...looks like something has gone wrong...

Hello.

Yes. "Does Ofsted ranking influence house prices" is correct - not the other way around.

So, does this mean that Ofsted does actually go on the x axis? (It is the independent variable).

Houses prices is the dependant variable (the one I am measuring) and so goes on the y axis?

If I tidy up the graph and add lables, is it therefore correct?

Is this correct?
Original post by janesom
Hello.

Yes. "Does Ofsted ranking influence house prices" is correct - not the other way around.

So, does this mean that Ofsted does actually go on the x axis? (It is the independent variable).

Houses prices is the dependant variable (the one I am measuring) and so goes on the y axis?

If I tidy up the graph and add lables, is it therefore correct?

Is this correct?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest