is there anything i should be aware of before goin uni Watch

xxx-Sarah-xxx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i mean was there anything u found out that u should of been told about but weren't.
Mishkath
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
erm I came accross this, could be quite important...it has a lot of links:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...eshers%27_Pack

hope this is what you want!
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
* Stock up on uni supplies well in advance before you get there. Buy 1 or 2 things a week from now until you leave. You wont notice £2, £3 a week, you will however notice when you go out to buy it all the week before you go and you end up spending £300. I dont just mean folders and that kind of stuff, I mean more or less everything you are likely to need, shampoo, cosmetics etc. Doesnt sound like much now, but you'll really appreciate the fact that you dont have to go out and spend loads of extra money at the last minute/when you are there.

* When your walking into uni, make sure you have both hands busy-(rumage around in your bag if you have to) to avoid the 6000 flyers you will get shoved at you every single day every single time you walk past.

* If your vein (like me) make sure the passport photos you send off to the uni are alright, they are literallyput on everything, and you'll end up with so many photo cards that you have to use all the time (like your library card), so unless you want to be flashing a super dodgy pic constantly make it a good one!

* Dont join societies that you have to pay for during freshers! So many people go, and join, and pay their £2 here there and everywhere and then never end up getting involved in anything they organise. If you want to join a society that you have to pay for, go away and think about it, or see what events they put on, join the mailing list etc, but dont part with cash until you know you want to join and participate.
mipmapped
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They flush your head down the toilets.

Watch out.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xxx-Sarah-xxx)
is there anything i should be aware of before goin uni
Grammar.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Don't drop the soap, oh wait wrong place...
BibbleJW
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, got to agree with other posters here. Everyone is different. If you are living in catered halls, it will be less of an adjustment than, say, living in a house where you need to cook for yourself. Basically, it's living away from home.
Mr. Mortell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by louisedotcom)
* Stock up on uni supplies well in advance before you get there. Buy 1 or 2 things a week from now until you leave. You wont notice £2, £3 a week, you will however notice when you go out to buy it all the week before you go and you end up spending £300. I dont just mean folders and that kind of stuff, I mean more or less everything you are likely to need, shampoo, cosmetics etc. Doesnt sound like much now, but you'll really appreciate the fact that you dont have to go out and spend loads of extra money at the last minute/when you are there.
^ Yeah really this! It's just the best way to do things.

Take loads of photos with you cause you will need them for lots of random things!

I recommend a budget too! Stick to it, but make sure it is realistic. Do an imaginary internet shop for example to see how expensive everything you want is. You might be suprised how easily it totals up.

Make sure you check the expiring date on things! I find I go through butter very slowly and if its got a short date then it is just wasted!

Erm...I'm sure there is more stuff...
Tucking Fypo
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by louisedotcom)
* When your walking into uni, make sure you have both hands busy-(rumage around in your bag if you have to) to avoid the 6000 flyers you will get shoved at you every single day every single time you walk past.
I do that all the time when I'm in the city.
urbandervish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Originally Posted by xxx-Sarah-xxx
is there anything i should be aware of before goin uni

(Original post by Profesh)
Grammar.
lol!
Ferret_messiah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alcohol doesn't damage your liver as long as you drink it really, really fast. This will get you through Fresher's week.

Remember, the more of it and the faster you drink it, the better you'll be.
LO :)
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ferret_messiah)
Alcohol doesn't damage your liver as long as you drink it really, really fast. This will get you through Fresher's week.

I think I quite like this advice!
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ferret_messiah)

Also remember that mixing drinks is a hell of a lot better for you than sticking on the same drink all night; doing this means your liver doesn't know what to expect next so is constantly on its feet and keeping fit.
firegalley246
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go out at every point during Fresher's week and mingle with as many people as possible. That way you'll have the best chance of making lots of friends.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should be aware of the fact that uni isn't everything its cracked up to be!
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And also that it isn't not everything its cracked up to be
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People are just as stupid as they were in school, they don't magically grow up when you go to uni they're still ****s.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Meet as many people as possible during freshers week - its the only time when everyone is still friendly - any time afterwards they're not as likely to strike up a conversation in the lift or in random places like the laundry room.
Me Myself I
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're self-catered, buy a few really quick ready meals for fresher's week. If you haven't lived away from home before, it's enough of a stress sorting yourself out (especially in the chaos that is fresher's week!) without having to worry about cooking properly too. Missing your 5 a day isn't going to kill you for one week! :p:

Also, again, people don't magically grow up, and uni is often different to what you're told at school - don't expect miracles and go with an open mind (pretty much what half a dozen other people have said, sorry!)

Oh, and louisedotcom's really not joking about the flyers - they get everywhere. My advice: take drawing pins and put them all on your notice board! They're often quite pretty and make boring rooms in halls a bit more colourful
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
save up on the change for the washing machines!!!! So what if you move in wiht a shopping bag full of 10 and 20p pieces- at least you will have change when no one else will!!!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.84%
No (661)
60.75%
Not really bothered about them (222)
20.4%

Watched Threads