The Student Room Group

How I Got 2 Grade 9s in Language and Literature Last Year:

My top tips - (I did AQA, but these apply to all boards)

•Plan your essays before you write them!! It makes it so much easier to stick to the question and, if you only cross them out with one line, it means your examiner can read what you didn't have time to write just in case
•Use topic sentences that include the verbatim of the question, and signpost when you are talking about language, structure, and form in them. Constantly use the words in the question, show you're on track
•Watch the films of your texts to help with quote recall (1971 Macbeth sticks very well to the script)
•Mr Bruff and Mr Salles videos will Save You
•Go back over essays, read feedback, and give extra feedback to yourself!
•Explain the plots of your text to a family member, the structure of your texts is important to know - try match points of your text to Freytag's Pyramid in the exam!
•Write your quotes for themes and characters out on mindmaps and stick them around your house, keep reading them
•Alternative interpretations!! Talk about more than one interpretation of the quote you're using in the same paragraph
•Learn a few go-to impressive words to weave into your exam, especially for English Language writing
•Link your language analysis to the structural placement of your quote in the text, what does it come straight after? Does it change how a reader interprets this part?

Let me know if you'd like me to clarify or explain anything up there and do ask any further questions you may have! Happy to help.

Izz :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a mind at work

•Plan your essays before you write them!! It makes it so much easier to stick to the question and, if you only cross them out with one line, it means your examiner can read what you didn't have time to write just in case
•Use topic sentences that include the verbatim of the question, and signpost when you are talking about language, structure, and form in them. Constantly use the words in the question, show you're on track
•Watch the films of your texts to help with quote recall (1971 Macbeth sticks very well to the script)
•Explain the plots of your text to a family member, the structure of your texts is important to know - try match points of your text to Freytag's Pyramid in the exam!
•Write your quotes for themes and characters out on mindmaps and stick them around your house, keep reading them
•Alternative interpretations!! Talk about more than one interpretation of the quote you're using in the same paragraph
•Learn a few go-to impressive words to weave into your exam, especially for English Language writing
•Link your language analysis to the structural placement of your quote in the text, what does it come straight after? Does it change how a reader interprets this part?

Let me know if you'd like me to clarify or explain anything up there and do ask any further questions you may have! Happy to help.

Thank you so much!! That is very helpful. Glad you posted it. :smile:
This is brilliant:heart:
Which texts did you study?
Original post by Toastiekid
This is brilliant:heart:
Which texts did you study?

Thank you! I did:

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
An Inspector Calls
Macbeth
AQA Power and Conflict Anthology
Original post by MrsFredWeasley
Thank you so much!! That is very helpful. Glad you posted it. :smile:

No worries, glad I could help!
Two points/paragraphs on the extract, then 2 points/paragraphs about where you see a similar thing elsewhere in the play :smile:
one question on extract and one question on extract and whole play correct?
How AIC, how many quotes did you learn per character/theme?
Well done :yy:
Thank you! I did:

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
An Inspector Calls
Macbeth
AQA Power and Conflict Anthology

ooh that’s a nice mix
got any last minute advice for the last few days before both papers?:lol:

Do you have any essays written you still keep..Do you mind to share them?
Reply 10
explain signposting
Ooh that's a tricky one actually, maybe looking for words you associate with the idea or theme you're given? If you're not given a named theme/idea (not too familiar with Edexcel!), look for the opinions the writer expresses. Sometimes it can be as simple as asking yourself "if I had to sum what they were talking about up in one word, what would it be?"

Best of luck!! You'll get that 8 xx
Original post by nk02
explain signposting

For example, "Priestley uses structure to..." signposts to the examiner you're now talking about structure. Since you have to cover language, structure, AND form for the top band, they can tick that factor off in their minds if you clearly express it in your topic sentence
Original post by Toastiekid
ooh that’s a nice mix
got any last minute advice for the last few days before both papers?:lol:

Watch the films! That's what I did in the upcoming days, helps you with plot and quotes and it's just a nice, relaxed review. You don't want to cram.
Original post by laurawatt
How AIC, how many quotes did you learn per character/theme?
Well done :yy:

Thank you!

I didn't really have a set amount exactly, I'd estimate 4-ish? Some fitted into both a character category and a theme category so it helps if you can find quotes that do that
Original post by anonymous69gcse
one question on extract and one question on extract and whole play correct?

I know for Macbeth you had to talk about an extract AND whole play, for AIC no extract was given, for J&H you had to talk about an extract AND whole text. (AQA)
how did you revise for poetry cuz its sooo hard
Watch the films! That's what I did in the upcoming days, helps you with plot and quotes and it's just a nice, relaxed review. You don't want to cram.

I actually saw one of mine (Macbeth) in the theatre last week:lol:
I might reread one of the books tomorrow and watch one of those sparknotes ones instead:thumbsup:
I completely winged the language exams and managed to somehow get a 9, I revised the poems quite heavily and hardly touched the books we read and got an 8. I assume because we were the first year group taking the new exam format, the grade boundaries were lowered slightly. If I were to offer any advice, don't go into the exams hoping to wing it - it won't work out for everyone!
What is the structure for a poetry essay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending