The Student Room Group

FP2 help please

I dont understand why first equation represents invariant can someone please explain?

As in why the root of the first equation must be the roots for the second equation?
(edited 5 years ago)
https://imgur.com/a/hNMbgXU
Question +solution here
Reply 2
Original post by Iconic_panda
I dont understand why first equation represents invariant can someone please explain?

They have done it in a less intuitive way. Here's another method.

First, find the roots of the equation z1,z2z_1, z_2. Now they say that both roots z1,z2z_1, z_2 are invariant under the given transformation. Which means

z1=az1+bz1+dz_1 = \frac{az_1 + b}{z_1 + d}

and

z2=az2+bz2+dz_2 = \frac{az_2 + b}{z_2 + d}

Simplify the above equations and equate real part and imaginary part. You should get a set of 4 equations. Now solve the set simultaneously.

Now what they have done is, instead of setting z1z_1 or z2z_2, they have just set in zz. Now they have used the fact that both equations have the same roots and hence are the same.

I hope this is correct.
That is where I am not entirely sure, how did they determine that both equations have the same roots?
Original post by esrever

First, find the roots of the equation z1,z2z_1, z_2. Now they say that both roots z1,z2z_1, z_2 are invariant under the given transformation. Which means

and

Simplify the above equations and equate real part and imaginary part. You should get a set of 4 equations. Now solve the set simultaneously.

Now what they have done is, instead of setting z1z_1 or z2z_2, they have just set in zz. Now they have used the fact that both equations have the same roots and hence are the same.

I hope this is correct.
Original post by Iconic_panda
vThat is where I am not entirely sure, how did they determine that both equations have the same roots?
Both equations have z1 and z2 as roots. Since quadratics have at most 2 roots, these are all the roots, so they must have the same roots.
Oh yeah sorry I didn't read the questions fully, i understand it now
Original post by esrever

and

I hope this is correct.

Original post by DFranklin
Both equations have z1 and z2 as roots. Since quadratics have at most 2 roots, these are all the roots, so they must have the same roots.

Quick Reply

Latest