The Student Room Group

Buy a car before passing test

So I have my driving test in a few weeks time. I'd say I'm confident and really hoping to have a pass. Since I'm learning in an automatic, I have been looking around for used cars since there's not as much choice out there. I have found one that suits my needs, is cheap to insure, no road tax, plenty mpg etc

Been out for a test drive (salesman at the wheel) have done my homework on the car and decided I want to go for it.

The car dealers I'm buying it from said that if I go ahead with the sale they can keep it there in the compound which obviously has cctv and Insurance for a few weeks and once I've passed I could collect it then.
I looked into options like having them deliver the car to my home where it would go into my locked garage and possibly tell DVLA it's off the road with a SORN. This means I wouldn't have to insure it or tax it (even though its zero road tax)

Just wondering if anyone has been in same situation and what would they advise is my best option. Is getting a SORN a hassle and would I still have to set up insurance? Been trying to read up online but some seems unclear.
And yes I am just getting impatient and wanting to pass and be out on the road ASAP lol

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sketchartist
So I have my driving test in a few weeks time. I'd say I'm confident and really hoping to have a pass. Since I'm learning in an automatic, I have been looking around for used cars since there's not as much choice out there. I have found one that suits my needs, is cheap to insure, no road tax, plenty mpg etc

Been out for a test drive (salesman at the wheel) have done my homework on the car and decided I want to go for it.

The car dealers I'm buying it from said that if I go ahead with the sale they can keep it there in the compound which obviously has cctv and Insurance for a few weeks and once I've passed I could collect it then.
I looked into options like having them deliver the car to my home where it would go into my locked garage and possibly tell DVLA it's off the road with a SORN. This means I wouldn't have to insure it or tax it (even though its zero road tax)

Just wondering if anyone has been in same situation and what would they advise is my best option. Is getting a SORN a hassle and would I still have to set up insurance? Been trying to read up online but some seems unclear.
And yes I am just getting impatient and wanting to pass and be out on the road ASAP lol

A SORN takes quite a long time to go through, the DVLA aren't the fastest at processing stuff. I'd go for the first option.
Yeah that was my worry, that by time it was in place I (hopefully) would be out on the road.

Not like I can get use of it either way. But less frustrating than getting my licence and then beginning to look for cars.

When I go to finalise sale etc on Monday do you know if they will give me the log book or does that remain with the car until I collect? Just wanting to be organised and have all details ready to set up breakdown cover. This has been a long time coming!
The garage can deliver on trade plates.
The registered keeper can declare sorn online, but if the owner is new, it can only be done by post. I doubt that anybody would be done by the dvla if the documents are literally in the post

Normal insurance says that a car must be taxed/mot'd
So where ever it is you need to get your insurance company to agree - or risk any vandalism/fire/theft
Just wait lol.
Reply 5

You don't have to insure a car to own it without a sorn. You just need to tax it and make sure it has an mot. Get them to deliver it and it can just sit in your driveway. If you're worried about someone vandalizing your car, get temporary insurance under your parents.
(edited 5 years ago)
When I go to finalise sale etc on Monday do you know if they will give me the log book or does that remain with the car until I collect? Just wanting to be organised and have all details ready to set up breakdown cover. This has been a long time coming!

The new logbook (aka the V5C) will come through the post to your address. The old log book doesn't need to be acquired.
Thanks to all, great info.

The cars less than two years old so not due it's MOT until July next year. I'm assuming despite it being zero road tax I will still have to notify them etc

Yeah I think I'm just going to leave it where it is and save hassle (and massive temptation to take it out for a spin!!!)
Reply 8

Why do you want the car now..? Why not just buy a car AFTER you pass your test..?
The cars less than two years old so not due it's MOT until July next year. I'm assuming despite it being zero road tax I will still have to notify them etc

Yep, my car is also zero tax but the DVLA need to be notified of it being on the roads.
Original post by IWMTom
Why do you want the car now..? Why not just buy a car AFTER you pass your test..?

Two reasons. Since I'm looking for an auto, certain engine size, insurance cost etc I found early on in my search that they are thin on the ground so wanted to avoid waiting til after passing to begin looking for what was available. I found this at right price and since my test is just a few weeks away figured it may not be sitting about too long before I can drive.

Reason two is simply that after having an absolute nightmare of a commute for past 6 months, I want to get driving as soon as I have that pass certificate in my hand, and not end up waiting ages for a car or settling for something more expensive to buy or run.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Yep, my car is also zero tax but the DVLA need to be notified of it being on the roads.

I figured that was the case. My driving instructor mentioned something about the tax changing, not sure if that would apply to the lowest emission cars or just the gas guzzlers.
I figured that was the case. My driving instructor mentioned something about the tax changing, not sure if that would apply to the lowest emission cars or just the gas guzzlers.

Tax has already changed yes, but it only applies to cars registered in 2017 and above. The government is basically trying to make everyone buy an electric car.
Reply 13
Two reasons. Since I'm looking for an auto, certain engine size, insurance cost etc I found early on in my search that they are thin on the ground so wanted to avoid waiting til after passing to begin looking for what was available. I found this at right price and since my test is just a few weeks away figured it may not be sitting about too long before I can drive.

Reason two is simply that after having an absolute nightmare of a commute for past 6 months, I want to get driving as soon as I have that pass certificate in my hand, and not end up waiting ages for a car or settling for something more expensive to buy or run.

Right.. but what if you fail the test? You're stuck with a car you can't drive.
And what if I pass?

I have considered all this. And might not pass first time etc. Its not like an exam that I can't retake.
Reply 15
And what if I pass?

I have considered all this. And might not pass first time etc. Its not like an exam that I can't retake.

Yes, but with test dates the way they are you could be waiting months before your next test should you fail.

There's tens if not hundreds of thousands of cars for sale across the country - it won't be difficult to find what you're looking for after you've passed.
For my test centre it's about three week wait.

Honestly this is what I feel is best option for me. A friend pointed out if it's not a first time pass then can always go ahead and get car delivered so I can go out with someone a few times a week for more practice. As it stands now I only have use of instructors car once a week.

I'm happy with the car I've found.

1) Between now and passing your test, a lot can change, this is why whilst you can run all the quotes you want before you pass your test, the day you might actually pass and then put that pass date in and generate a new quote, everything can change. Your car's premium can plummet, or skyrocket in a month. That is why you deal with it at the last minute. When I passed the quotes I had when I passed vs two months before were significantly different. I'm also worried you've rushed your choice of car due to a lack of options, do you have any idea how expensive it is to get an automatic gearbox changed? Don't just do your homework on the car's model, please for your sake tell me you had someone with you that knows what they're looking for.

2) I had a nightmare commute for every job I've had in the last 7 years, the only bad decision that I rushed was buying a Ford Fiesta instead of just waiting a few more months for the new Ibiza (which would have been an easy part-ex for a Cupra after a few years), I'm going to be regretting that for a really long time. Well, 3 and a half more years to be exact, Fiestas actually suck on that note, pls tell me you didn't get one.
Original post by nevershear
Fiestas actually suck on that note, pls tell me you didn't get one.

the interior is... erm... shocking actually for a car of that price :laugh:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
the interior is... erm... shocking actually for a car of that price :laugh:

Has this awkward balance of where they didn't mess around in some areas, like the seats, wheel, gears, dashboard and then really cheap in others like the floor and doors. It's a fun car to drive but I feel like I'd have been much happier in a similar sized different car of the same segment, even at the cost of a little power.

The problem is before I bought it I never looked at a dealership, I watched reviews. The guys are driving the mainland European version which has small, but noticeable interior changes that i am missing. Even the basics like a backlit cup holder and an armrest cover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending