Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I just got my GAMSAT results back and it's kind of bitter sweet. I only did about a weeks worth of work for the March sitting because I'm in my final year and didn't really have time for more, so I was expecting my results to be disasterous. It was really intende as a practice.
    But I got scores of 53/77/55 (60 overall) so I guess it's kind of the grey area. I want to go to liverpool and their cut offs in 2015 were 50/50/50 (55 overall), and in 2017 50/50/50 (50 overall), so do you think my scores are okay? Judging by those figures, I feel they would, but when you look at the other schools, my scores wouldn't be enough which makes me think these scores might stand out for the wrong reasons when they are comparing applicants.
    I am 99% sure I could get a better score, given that for the next one I will do far more work, but considering the cost/time etc and the fact I will have a full time job, I'd rather not.
    Do I have a chance with these or no??
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    :hello: fellow person who used it as a test run. I didn't revise at all (had to prioritise my degree and other stuff) and got 58!

Where else are you planning to apply? Because the cut off changes every single year. For example SGUL for 2017 entry had a cutoff of 57 but 2015 entry it was 62. I don't think Swansea's has ever been over 60 and with Nottingham they have their special calculation system. It's really impossible to say if it's good enough imo. I'm personally not willing to take the risk so will (unfortunately) be resitting with the hope that if I can get 58 with no revision, I can get much higher with some revision Ideally mid 60s since I've never seen a higher cut off.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty borderline, I think you would get a couple of interviews at least (potentially a full 4!) but it's very variable year after year. 2017 entry I managed to get 3 GAMSAT GEM interviews with an overall score of 58/59 (Notts), not sure what the scores were last year but if the downward trend has continued then 60 could be quite a safe score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    It's pretty borderline, I think you would get a couple of interviews at least (potentially a full 4!) but it's very variable year after year. 2017 entry I managed to get 3 GAMSAT GEM interviews with an overall score of 58/59 (Notts), not sure what the scores were last year but if the downward trend has continued then 60 could be quite a safe score.
    I'm jealous of the cutoff for your year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    :hello: fellow person who used it as a test run. I didn't revise at all (had to prioritise my degree and other stuff) and got 58!

Where else are you planning to apply? Because the cut off changes every single year. For example SGUL for 2017 entry had a cutoff of 57 but 2015 entry it was 62. I don't think Swansea's has ever been over 60 and with Nottingham they have their special calculation system. It's really impossible to say if it's good enough imo. I'm personally not willing to take the risk so will (unfortunately) be resitting with the hope that if I can get 58 with no revision, I can get much higher with some revision Ideally mid 60s since I've never seen a higher cut off.
    Thats a good score considering you didn't revise!
    Yeah I agree I would feel much happier with mid 60s. I guess I will have to bite the bullet. I really want to go to liverpool but I was thinking of Birmingham (no gamsat needed), Nottingham (looks unlikely my score will be good enough), as well as a full course in Manchester to increase my chances.
    Do you know if/when universities release the previous years cut offs or do they just do it when they feel like??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megT96)
    Thats a good score considering you didn't revise!
    Yeah I agree I would feel much happier with mid 60s. I guess I will have to bite the bullet. I really want to go to liverpool but I was thinking of Birmingham (no gamsat needed), Nottingham (looks unlikely my score will be good enough), as well as a full course in Manchester to increase my chances.
    Do you know if/when universities release the previous years cut offs or do they just do it when they feel like??
    SGUL has them up on their website, as does Swansea (but not for 2018 entry). I assume others will probably have them up. If not, just trawl through the past application threads and see what you get. About Nottingham, they have two methods of calculating GAMSAT and I believe that they use the higher GAMSAT of the two. I'm pretty sure people got interviews with a GAMSAT of 60 (before their calculation), so I wouldn't write it off completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    So you got an interview at Nottingham with a score of 59 at Nottingham for 2017 entry? I read somewhere online that the cut off that year was 61.. but that gives me encouragement! Well done on getting interviews! where else did you get the interviews??

ReputationRep:
    So you got an interview at Nottingham with a score of 59 at Nottingham for 2017 entry? I read somewhere online that the cut off that year was 61.. but that gives me encouragement! Well done on getting interviews! where else did you get the interviews??
    Notts, Swansea, SGUL, and Warwick (UKCAT - where I am now about to finish first year!!! :O)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I just got my GAMSAT results back and it's kind of bitter sweet. I only did about a weeks worth of work for the March sitting because I'm in my final year and didn't really have time for more, so I was expecting my results to be disasterous. It was really intende as a practice.
    But I got scores of 53/77/55 (60 overall) so I guess it's kind of the grey area. I want to go to liverpool and their cut offs in 2015 were 50/50/50 (55 overall), and in 2017 50/50/50 (50 overall), so do you think my scores are okay? Judging by those figures, I feel they would, but when you look at the other schools, my scores wouldn't be enough which makes me think these scores might stand out for the wrong reasons when they are comparing applicants.
    I am 99% sure I could get a better score, given that for the next one I will do far more work, but considering the cost/time etc and the fact I will have a full time job, I'd rather not.
    Do I have a chance with these or no??
    Thanks!
    Swansea was 61 this year (2018 entry) so might be borderline but I'm sure the score will drop this coming year. Also be careful as minimums are not the same as cut offs and I think that might be what you've been looking at for Liverpool as they seem very low. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplytheworst)
    Swansea was 61 this year (2018 entry) so might be borderline but I'm sure the score will drop this coming year. Also be careful as minimums are not the same as cut offs and I think that might be what you've been looking at for Liverpool as they seem very low. Good luck!
    Oh ok, so the minimum is the score you need to apply, and the cut off is determined afterwards based on what the applicants got?

I am probably going to resit anyway, I feel I can do much better.

Can you send your best score? So if I was so sit it in september and something goes horribly wrong and I do worse, can I opt to send my march result? Or do you have to commit to one sitting during the application???

ReputationRep:
    Can you send your best score? So if I was so sit it in september and something goes horribly wrong and I do worse, can I opt to send my march result? Or do you have to commit to one sitting during the application???
    I can't remember if you have to email ACER and ask them to do this specifically, or whether they do it automatically, but they will do this for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, are you all form a science background or not? Personally I am not, but I've been revising for a few weeks now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bham_Studentess)
    Hello guys, are you all form a science background or not? Personally I am not, but I've been revising for a few weeks now.
    Yeah I'm a 4th year Biologist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Yeah I'm a 4th year Biologist
    Cool, I suppose that would give you some advantage in Section 3? How did you find the other two sections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bham_Studentess)
    Cool, I suppose that would give you some advantage in Section 3? How did you find the other two sections?
    Actually I personally found it absolutely useless :rofl: I've studied chemistry up to second year undergraduate level and that was marginally more useful, but for me it was more understanding the questions that was more important than the content. It's actually really unhelpful because I have no idea how I'd revise for section III again for when I resit.

The first section I actually did surprisingly well in and my section II score was my best section. One (big) advantage of my degree is that it's all essay based so I know how to write essays, plus I've taken several social science modules so I know how to write non-science essays.

My overall score was 58 with 58/70/53 in the sections (keep in mind that I didn't revise at all - it was a test run).

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am a third year biology student. I feel as though it’s good to get lots of opinions and advice for people who have done it, but bare in mind there is rarely a consensus and everyone has different opinions and strategies. Personally, I found that my science background really helped and I used the gold standard text book which did a good job of bringing back my A level memories (although I only looked at a couple of sections, 5 days isn’t really long enough to prepare ). I got 55 on that section so I’ll continue to go over it. My best section was section 2, I got 77... which was a shock! I think that what I did right was thinking hard about the theme of the statements they give you then think of a very solid structure and keep to it. Also, I learnt a few examples of quotes/events/stats for several topics they are likely to ask (I found a list 😆) and I just wrote something I thought would be unique and quite clever. As for section 1, I have no idea. I just don’t like it. Other that learning how to speed read, I don’t even know how to improve...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.