Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I’m pretty sure I have bipolar but I want to find out for sure, what do I do because I don’t want to bring it up with my parents.
Thanks
username3600258
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is unlikely for someone to have Bipolar without inheriting it from their mother or father.

And differentiating between Bipolar and Severe Mood Swings is crucial.

You don't "think" you have Bipolar, you know you have Bipolar.

If you are female, mood swings are very likely.

I would tell your parents that you might have either, because if you tell them you have Bipolar, things get very serious and your life will change forever...
You will be on medication constantly, and you will struggle to get a job in some aspects as it will go on your personal record...

If you are diagnosed with Bipolar, you will struggle in life...
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I’m pretty sure I have bipolar but I want to find out for sure, what do I do because I don’t want to bring it up with my parents.
Thanks
GP. You're probably having some pretty tough feelings going on if you're suspecting bi-polar. Even if it isn't bi-polar you could probably do with some support.
HeyitsShania
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I understand that this is a thread from 9 months ago but I would just like to say something.

(Original post by JamesLeo1)
It is unlikely for someone to have Bipolar without inheriting it from their mother or father.

And differentiating between Bipolar and Severe Mood Swings is crucial.

You don't "think" you have Bipolar, you know you have Bipolar.

If you are female, mood swings are very likely.

I would tell your parents that you might have either, because if you tell them you have Bipolar, things get very serious and your life will change forever...
You will be on medication constantly, and you will struggle to get a job in some aspects as it will go on your personal record...

If you are diagnosed with Bipolar, you will struggle in life...
I have bipolar and no one else in my family does; not diagnosed anyway. My sisters are too young to really know as the age of onset is usually late teens.
Also, you dont necessarily know you're bipolar; I didn't. With Bipolar type 2, it's harder to see the hypomania as it can just come across as excitement and be missed. After all, hypomania feels amazing so why would we complain with it to a doctor? The only reason I knew is from when I was given anti depressants for depression which turned me into a rapid cycler.
Also, the mood swings in females is a lot different to bipolar. It's not just being from happy to angry and staying that way for 10 minutes; it's being in a manic/depressive state for months at a time then switching. Unless of course you're a rapid cycler, like me, who unfortunately changes every day.
And yes, if you struggle with bipolar you will struggle significantly. living a life of such extreme mood swings is exhausting and it's hard to do things you should as you dont know how you will feel.
I hope this helps.
Last edited by HeyitsShania; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads