CCEA AS-level Chemistry 2018

Watch this thread
Megan197
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
forum to discuss the upcoming ccea as-level chemistry exams
Big_Smoke9
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Anything new on spec. Know what is new on it?
Megan197
Rep:
Which topics are new do you know?
Big_Smoke9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
That’s what I asked. But I’ve heard not much is.
Opar1000
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What did yous think of it?
Kieran181819
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Quite hard
Kieran181819
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kieran181819)
Quite hard
I think it was just stupid, like no need to not ask us anything from our spec. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low
Big_Smoke9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Anyone know what was the solubility 4 mark
Opar1000
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kieran181819)
I think it was just stupid, like no need to not ask us anything from our spec. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low
Yeah I agree there was so much that they didn’t ask
Opar1000
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Big_Smoke9)
Anyone know what was the solubility 4 mark
No idea I did a solubility curve tho?? Don’t think that was right tho because it said to show that it’s very soluble rather than determine solubility
shivvs
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The last few pages were actually nice, its just the unit 3 stuff i didnt expect... Or prepare for💩and that electricity conductor diagram? 0 marks guaranteed😂😂😂hehehe
Big_Smoke9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Opar1000)
No idea I did a solubility curve tho?? Don’t think that was right tho because it said to show that it’s very soluble rather than determine solubility
I just talked about saturating water at a specific temp then heating to see what the saturation is. Also said can compare solubility to other compounds at same temp.
student1028
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Really didn't like question 11!! There was wayy to much on qualitive analysis and most of it wasn't even part of that topic!! I was doing well in past papers but that one was by far the worst, any predictions about what we might need to get an A
Big_Smoke9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What did everyone get for whether compound was ionic or covelent. I got covelent because dichromate is a negative ion and chlorine is a negative ion, so can’t have attraction between opposite charges, so covelent.
Snowdrop fairy
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
For the solubility , I said that you would bubble the gas( cl2o) through a Utube filled with water. At the other end of the U tube attach a syringe, if there is no gas present in the syringe then the gas is very soluble in water.
Would you say that would give me any marks ?
Big_Smoke9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snowdrop fairy)
For the solubility , I said that you would bubble the gas( cl2o) through a Utube filled with water. At the other end of the U tube attach a syringe, if there is no gas present in the syringe then the gas is very soluble in water.
Realistically Cus I don’t think that’s ever been covered don’t think you’d get much or any. But they may have scrap the question or no one is really gunna getvthe mark if this is somehow on our spec.
Megan197
Rep:
(Original post by Opar1000)
What did yous think of it?
It was okay some awkward and difficult questions but not harder than expected
jburnside615
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snowdrop fairy)
I think you will definitely get marks! At least some of it. It basically wasn't taught so won't go very well for people. In that case, ccea adjust the markscheme to be more lenient marking like they did for questions last year (like that awful thiosulfate stuff).
I marked it to come back to it and ran out of time do got 0 lol... I missed out 6 marks like that, 4 from the solubility.

I think it was a really difficult paper. I was doing fine in past papers, but a lot of that really threw me. I knew my qualitative analysis stuff so think I got the test for ions stuff, but solubility and the solubility calculations later on REALLY threw me. I had no idea for those, I just saw the units were g dm-3 or mol dm-3 so I used the concentration calculation because I knew it produced those units though pretty sure it was wrong! I'm kind of annoyed how little Moles questions were on it. They are nice nark builders, and I thought you HAD to get a moles question so I was prepared for that.

I REALLY didn't like most of the multiple choice. As I leave it to the end and was pushed for time, I had to go with first answers which from past paper experience never goes well (I always misread or do something stupid) and outright guessed one I knew I didn't have time to try figure out.

I've been torturing myself with extensive googling of questions I can remember, and I (as someone who was aiming for an A and actually did put in work for an A) probably only got about 70%-75%. I think the grade boundaries will be low like last year (last year 71% in paper for rounded up to 77% which was an A grade) but it's not great for giving room for error in the coming exam. I am also doing A2, which I am SO less prepared for but at least they are nicely spaced out (aka I have done A21 once, and A2 2 never so I don't even know the topic titles it's that bad!). It puts a bit of pressure on because I had hoped to secure some 'oops' marks in the AS to try save myself if I make an booboos in the A2 but it seems not.

Whatever happens happens! No matter your results, just remember it's not the end of the world. You might have planned to go somewhere but end up somewhere else, but that doesn't mean where you end up is any less fun. I am planning on applying to graduate entry vet med, so if I don't get an A it's off to Romania for me! 😂

pretty sure I lost the follow marks:
6 - Two questions left out, 4 mark solubility and dichromate oxidation numbers question. (I actually put Cr went from +6 to +3 or something but I thought I must have messed up, unless anyone else put that? May have scraped a mark?)

2 - The red liquid 114 boiling point question. I had no idea and no time, so I bunged in a guess of ionic because high point meant string ionic bonds but it was a wrong guess, I google and it was covalent.

2 - solubility calculations

2 - electrical conductivity test. I drew a circuit with metal in it, battery and switch. Two volt meter before and after the metal. It was a total guess, and I don't think it was right...

3-5 lost to multiple choice. After googling, I believe Diamond was covalent bonds on melting, I put 3 peaks for mass spectrum because 2 was too obvious and my head went 'try that, sounds familiar' but my googling shows like 5 peaks OK it. Outright guessed the neutralising question about what gave more silver ions because of time.

5 - Five marks added onto it as 'unexpected boo-boo marks, for things I can't remember or got wrong unexpectedly.

1 - systematic name of hypochlorous acid... absolute idiot I am, I realised it was probably just Hypochloric they were looking for. I wrote something stupid like Caloric oxide or hydroxide or something.

20-25 wrong I expect overall.

As you can tell I'm an after exam analyser 😂 Anyone else know anything they definitely got wrong? At least the stuff on bonding and orbitals etc. was nice and the usual stuff! Some nice filler marks
Big_Smoke9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jburnside615)
I think you will definitely get marks! At least some of it. It basically wasn't taught so won't go very well for people. In that case, ccea adjust the markscheme to be more lenient marking like they did for questions last year (like that awful thiosulfate stuff).
I marked it to come back to it and ran out of time do got 0 lol... I missed out 6 marks like that, 4 from the solubility.

I think it was a really difficult paper. I was doing fine in past papers, but a lot of that really threw me. I knew my qualitative analysis stuff so think I got the test for ions stuff, but solubility and the solubility calculations later on REALLY threw me. I had no idea for those, I just saw the units were g dm-3 or mol dm-3 so I used the concentration calculation because I knew it produced those units though pretty sure it was wrong! I'm kind of annoyed how little Moles questions were on it. They are nice nark builders, and I thought you HAD to get a moles question so I was prepared for that.

I REALLY didn't like most of the multiple choice. As I leave it to the end and was pushed for time, I had to go with first answers which from past paper experience never goes well (I always misread or do something stupid) and outright guessed one I knew I didn't have time to try figure out.

I've been torturing myself with extensive googling of questions I can remember, and I (as someone who was aiming for an A and actually did put in work for an A) probably only got about 70%-75%. I think the grade boundaries will be low like last year (last year 71% in paper for rounded up to 77% which was an A grade) but it's not great for giving room for error in the coming exam. I am also doing A2, which I am SO less prepared for but at least they are nicely spaced out (aka I have done A21 once, and A2 2 never so I don't even know the topic titles it's that bad!). It puts a bit of pressure on because I had hoped to secure some 'oops' marks in the AS to try save myself if I make an booboos in the A2 but it seems not.

Whatever happens happens! No matter your results, just remember it's not the end of the world. You might have planned to go somewhere but end up somewhere else, but that doesn't mean where you end up is any less fun. I am planning on applying to graduate entry vet med, so if I don't get an A it's off to Romania for me! 😂

pretty sure I lost the follow marks:
6 - Two questions left out, 4 mark solubility and dichromate oxidation numbers question. (I actually put Cr went from +6 to +3 or something but I thought I must have messed up, unless anyone else put that? May have scraped a mark?)

2 - The red liquid 114 boiling point question. I had no idea and no time, so I bunged in a guess of ionic because high point meant string ionic bonds but it was a wrong guess, I google and it was covalent.

2 - solubility calculations

2 - electrical conductivity test. I drew a circuit with metal in it, battery and switch. Two volt meter before and after the metal. It was a total guess, and I don't think it was right...

3-5 lost to multiple choice. After googling, I believe Diamond was covalent bonds on melting, I put 3 peaks for mass spectrum because 2 was too obvious and my head went 'try that, sounds familiar' but my googling shows like 5 peaks OK it. Outright guessed the neutralising question about what gave more silver ions because of time.

5 - Five marks added onto it as 'unexpected boo-boo marks, for things I can't remember or got wrong unexpectedly.

20-25 wrong I expect overall.

As you can tell I'm an after exam analyser 😂 Anyone else know anything they definitely got wrong? At least the stuff on bonding and orbitals etc. was nice and the usual stuff! Some nice filler marks
You did get the +6 to +3 pretty sure, I think the answer was covelent for the structure tho.
jburnside615
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Big_Smoke9)
You did get the +6 to +3 pretty sure, I think the answer was covelent for the structure tho.
Covalent for the red liquid structure or for another question?

The red liquid was covalent, it was difficult to google but I found a website that said 5 of 5 atoms had covalent property
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads