The Student Room Group

English Lit Revision

I do not know how to revise for English Lit, I've got quotes, I have context and I have information about Macbeth and Christmas Carol but I don't know what to do.

Should I just do exam practice and write a response to an exam question?

Scroll to see replies

-Read through text summaries online
-Get good at quickly planning your answers
-Make sure you don't have too many quotes (or you'll get confused in the exam)
theres a common misconception amongst lower students , that for english literature all you need to do is memorise quotes , thats where you go wrong , because you can use all the quotes in the world but not use a01,a02 or a03 and still fail. you need to understand the play , and what the writer is intending to do. i remember in the inspector calls , i didnt bother memorising any quotes , and used "members of one body" , "fire blood and anguish" and "why - you fool- of course he knows" and i still got 29/34 for the entire essay which was pretty impressive as i used 3 different quotes hardly any times at all. i was curious so i asked of my teacher "why"??" to which she replied "your understanding of the play , concepts was superb along with a wide ranging discussion used of language and an insightful exploratory response to ideas/themes. so what can i say , try to really think outside of the box and understand the play not just use it cos its there. if u need help pm me :smile:
Reply 3
That's really helpful thank you! I am really struggling to memorise quotes
Original post by LaChataliers
theres a common misconception amongst lower students , that for english literature all you need to do is memorise quotes , thats where you go wrong , because you can use all the quotes in the world but not use a01,a02 or a03 and still fail. you need to understand the play , and what the writer is intending to do. i remember in the inspector calls , i didnt bother memorising any quotes , and used "members of one body" , "fire blood and anguish" and "why - you fool- of course he knows" and i still got 29/34 for the entire essay which was pretty impressive as i used 3 different quotes hardly any times at all. i was curious so i asked of my teacher "why"??" to which she replied "your understanding of the play , concepts was superb along with a wide ranging discussion used of language and an insightful exploratory response to ideas/themes. so what can i say , try to really think outside of the box and understand the play not just use it cos its there. if u need help pm me :smile:

Could send me a paragraph that you've done? I'd love to see an example of this
Original post by Ozymandingo
I do not know how to revise for English Lit, I've got quotes, I have context and I have information about Macbeth and Christmas Carol but I don't know what to do.

Should I just do exam practice and write a response to an exam question?

Yh i think u should cos in my experience the more practice questions u do the better chance u have of getting the structures and timings right and also it helps if u know a good structure for a decent thesis statement to start with
Original post by ShylaB14

np ill send it through rn

this is an extract from my 28/34 Romeo and Juliet exam question :
question : how does Shakespeare present aggressive male behavior in the extract and in the play as a whole (30 marks + 4 for spag)
Shakespeare presents aggressive male behavior to emphasize the idea of masculinity being damaging and pointless.
in the extract it says "my naked weapon is out" readers could infer this to be either their swords or their penis - a main difference between a man and a women. through this way Shakespeare may be implying that the boastful servants are proud to be men and feel the need to be aggressive as a result. the noun "weapon" emphasizes that the capulets are quick to be aggressive and by personifying the mens dignities as "weapons" Shakespeare could be suggesting that the idea of masculinity and aggressive behavior only resolves around men.the personification may humor Shakespearean readers and audiences as sexuality was quite a one sided issue back then through a heavily patriarchal society however disgust modern readers as much as it did Shakespeare. furthermore the personification emphasizes how unnecessary a weapon is and by bringing out the weapon it will only create a fight which probes that masculinity is pointless and damaging with Shakespeare presenting his characters in such a way to support this.
this is an extract from my 28/34 Romeo and Juliet exam question :
question : how does Shakespeare present aggressive male behavior in the extract and in the play as a whole (30 marks + 4 for spag)
Shakespeare presents aggressive male behavior to emphasize the idea of masculinity being damaging and pointless.
in the extract it says "my naked weapon is out" readers could infer this to be either their swords or their penis - a main difference between a man and a women. through this way Shakespeare may be implying that the boastful servants are proud to be men and feel the need to be aggressive as a result. the noun "weapon" emphasizes that the capulets are quick to be aggressive and by personifying the mens dignities as "weapons" Shakespeare could be suggesting that the idea of masculinity and aggressive behavior only resolves around men.the personification may humor Shakespearean readers and audiences as sexuality was quite a one sided issue back then through a heavily patriarchal society however disgust modern readers as much as it did Shakespeare. furthermore the personification emphasizes how unnecessary a weapon is and by bringing out the weapon it will only create a fight which probes that masculinity is pointless and damaging with Shakespeare presenting his characters in such a way to support this.

CAN I BUTT IN AND SAY....

this is just gorgeous to read! I'm surprised it wasn't a full marks exemplar.

How many quotes would you suggest memorising for each theme or are those the quotes provided in the extract?
Original post by ohdearstudying
CAN I BUTT IN AND SAY....

this is just gorgeous to read! I'm surprised it wasn't a full marks exemplar.

How many quotes would you suggest memorising for each theme or are those the quotes provided in the extract?

thanks x , and lol my teacher gave me 28/34 for this.
i would say memorise as many king quotes as you can - king quotes are quotes that apprehend to any theme or motif you use throughout your essay.
(edited 5 years ago)
LaChataliers, I see what you're doing that I've missed out on. By only using one quote in the paragraph, you've managed to explore the meaning behind it to support your response to the question.
Thanks so much for this :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Ohhhh okay! That's brilliant. Thank you so much for your help!

could u please send me the essay you did. If you can't how did u go about the question. Did you use a writing frame? Did you analyse language,form,structure and added context, please help bro im stressing
Original post by I/Hate/English
could u please send me the essay you did. If you can't how did u go about the question. Did you use a writing frame? Did you analyse language,form,structure and added context, please help bro im stressing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB40-KM14RA
using the extract i sent in , and this vid , u should get a better understanding , i dont have the time to type up my whole essay since im revising myself so im sorry for that . but watching the above and going through themes of each text your doing and finding quotes for those themes id say ur in a chance of getting a grade 6+
to get a grade 7+ that depends on really going through the success criteria and understanding what their asking for.
LaChataliers, I see what you're doing that I've missed out on. By only using one quote in the paragraph, you've managed to explore the meaning behind it to support your response to the question.
Thanks so much for this :smile:

yup , and that paragraph could have gained another few marks if i had used another quote to support the response i was making
Hey, can you give me some grade 9 key phrases when introducing the context and readers effect.
ty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB40-KM14RA
using the extract i sent in , and this vid , u should get a better understanding , i dont have the time to type up my whole essay since im revising myself so im sorry for that . but watching the above and going through themes of each text your doing and finding quotes for those themes id say ur in a chance of getting a grade 6+
to get a grade 7+ that depends on really going through the success criteria and understanding what their asking for.

You my sir, are a life saver. I've been trying to look for a video on how to structure my answer to get top marks since 56 BC. Thank You so much.
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the English exams and study help forum where hopefully you'll get more answers :smile: In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread :smile:
Original post by I'mComingOxford
Hey, can you give me some grade 9 key phrases when introducing the context and readers effect.
ty

theres not many key phrases you can use when introducing context and readers affect , best not to dilly dally and get straight into it , such as "in shakespearean times ...." and "this may affect the reader....."
remember its the detail u put into these phrases not how u phrase it
Original post by I/Hate/English
You my sir, are a life saver. I've been trying to look for a video on how to structure my answer to get top marks since 56 BC. Thank You so much.

no problem :smile: enjoy and good luck for tomorrow , ill be sitting it as well so ill confer with you after !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending