English Literature Paper 1/2 Watch

James1_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello, does anybody have any tips when answering English Literature paper 1/2? I use the same ''PEE'' (or ''PEA'') answering structure, but when I used this in my mock exams, I ended up getting a grade 4.

So, I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to answer the question?

The books/poems I study are, Romeo & Juliet, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and all the Power and Conflict AQA poems.

Thank you!
Fayzan_Ali
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
do you talk anaylse the quotes , talk about effect on the reader and include context in your paras
James1_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fayzan_Ali)
do you talk anaylse the quotes , talk about effect on the reader and include context in your paras
I do, but I will give my point, write the quote and just say ''this suggests that...'' and that's about it.
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
look through these exmplars it might give you an idea on what you need to do/ include
Attached files
James1_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fayzan_Ali)
look through these exmplars it might give you an idea on what you need to do/ include
Thank you so much! They will really help me!
Spoiler:
Show

Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
nws g
Iqra Farooq
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by James1_)
Hello, does anybody have any tips when answering English Language paper 1/2? I use the same ''PEE'' (or ''PEA'' answering structure, but when I used this in my mock exams, I ended up getting a grade 4.

The books/poems I study are, Romeo & Juliet, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and all the Power and Conflict AQA poems.

Thank you!
Firstly i think you meant Literature lool erm but what you should do when answering the question is look at the question for starters and quickly jot down some ideas. When youre writing your answer, you can continuously refer back to them. So for example, say you get a question on how The Cratchits represent the poorer society, you could quickly jot down 'Bob Cratchit works in his dismal little cell,' 'they all live in the same four-roomed house' etc. After noting down these points, just develop the analysis in your answer.
GreenSpoon125
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello, does anybody have any tips when answering English Language paper 1/2? I use the same ''PEE'' (or ''PEA'' answering structure, but when I used this in my mock exams, I ended up getting a grade 4.

Thank you!
Pee paragraphs are good. Peter's paragraphs are better.

-Point (Introduce paragraph)
-Evidence (Quote or paraphrase)
-Technique (Subject specific vocabulary)
-Explain (In depth analysis)
-Reader (Effect on the reader)
-Single-word (Analyse a single word from the evidence)
username3682542
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

Thank you!
Hey, what grade are you aiming for?

I do: Romeo + Juliet, A Christmas carol, an inspector calls and conflict and power poetry
James1_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqra Farooq)
Firstly i think you meant Literature lool erm but what you should do when answering the question is look at the question for starters and quickly jot down some ideas. When youre writing your answer, you can continuously refer back to them. So for example, say you get a question on how The Cratchits represent the poorer society, you could quickly jot down 'Bob Cratchit works in his dismal little cell,' 'they all live in the same four-roomed house' etc. After noting down these points, just develop the analysis in your answer.
Oh my God! I put 'Langauge'! I will change it!

Thank you for your advice.
James1_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tasnim Alam)
Hey, what grade are you aiming for?

I do: Romeo + Juliet, A Christmas carol, an inspector calls and conflict and power poetry
I'm aiming for a grade 5 or higher!
ohdearstudying
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I do, but I will give my point, write the quote and just say ''this suggests that...'' and that's about it.
Always try and refer to different interpretations. put simply, I think in my head something, then maybe another thought comes along and I mask it as the audience "may also feel" or "some may interpret". If you write a quote with explaining the language devices if you can (or even "the verb...") it will get you higher marks than stating and explaining
ohdearstudying
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
In all honesty you can access the grade 4 and 5 grades without knowing much. It's when you head into the high 5 onwards you are expected to have a higher understanding and more knowledge.
username3682542
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Well, My teacher taught us to use PETAL. This structure will sure help you to aim higher than a grade 5! You can use this for the English language too.

I strongly recommend planning your answer first. That way you know you're answering the question and will minimize any mistakes in your essay

P- Point
E- Evidence
T-Terminology/technique
A- Analysis (make sure this part is really detailed, and try to add some context here!)
L- Link back to the Q

Best of luck on your literature exams!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.34%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (100)
17.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
14.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
9.98%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.3%

Watched Threads