The Student Room Group

Where do you think England will finish in the world cup?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Look, I'm patriotic, I want England to win, but I'm also a realist.

England's World ranking is 12 and this is the World Cup.

Realisticaly we don't have the strength and depth to beat Spain, Brazil and probably Croatia, Argentina and Belgium.
We have a goalie that punches the ball into areas that opposing attackers can pick up on and we aren't particularly strong in midfield, which makes things harder for our strikers. It is now known that we are strong at set pieces so intelligent sides will minimise their exposure to these.

I believe we can beat Colombia if we have enough energy to pressure them throughout the 2nd half of the game. We can also beat the winner of Switzerland/Sweden but then the final position will flatter us a bit as we got lucky in the draw.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 181
Down the pub

England FC.jpg
After England became second in group stages, the team has the best chances to come into semi finals again after 1990. Everything is possible for the English now, even the victory in Moscow.
Original post by ma_long
I think England will be out in the group stages and Gareth Southgate out of the job.

quarter finals
Reply 184
Original post by NJA
Look, I'm patriotic, I want England to win, but I'm also a realist.

England's World ranking is 12 and this is the World Cup.

Realisticaly we don't have the strength and depth to beat Spain, Brazil and probably Croatia, Argentina and Belgium.
We have a goalie that punches the ball into areas that opposing attackers can pick up on and we aren't particularly strong in midfield, which makes things harder for our strikers. It is now known that we are strong at set pieces so intelligent sides will minimise their exposure to these.

I believe we can beat Colombia if we have enough energy to pressure them throughout the 2nd half of the game. We can also beat the winner of Switzerland/Sweden but then the final position will flatter us a bit as we got lucky in the draw.

World rankings don’t mean ****. Germany are first and they’re out; Switzerland are sixth and aren’t better than England; Poland and Peru are both above England but didn’t qualify from their group; Chile are ninth but didn’t even qualify for the tournament.

England would also beat Argentina, who can barely be called a team. I’m not saying England will win the World Cup - they haven’t played any big team with their first XI. Using the rankings logic is nonsense though.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I don't agree. Brazil/Argentina/France are the strongest sides it doesn't matter if they've been unconvincing. Not taking anything away from Sweden/Switzerland/Colombia.

If they turn up and play to their ability they are yes, but them being unconvincing does matter - they're better on paper but worse on the pitch at the moment, and it's the latter that matters
Depends on how we perform against Columbia.
Reply 187
Original post by S.G.
... England would also beat Argentina, who can barely be called a team. I’m not saying England will win the World Cup - they haven’t played any big team with their first XI. Using the rankings logic is nonsense though.
OK, replace the Argies with the French, we couldn't beat them
lose on penalties in the next game, obviously
Reply 189
Would you bet on England beating Uruguay?
Original post by ma_long
I think England will be out in the group stages and Gareth Southgate out of the job.

:biggrin:
win the whole thing
:biggrin:

Keep smiling is the best what we can do to those who were given the lie to. :biggrin:

Original post by karl pilkington
win the whole thing

The chances are so good than never before. England has a great and real chance, despite France, Belgium and Croatia are better in build-up in my opinion.
They were forcing the pessimistic 'England are shite' thing to try and look objective when in reality they're as deluded as the 'it's coming home' guys (that don't even exist btw).

They exist now haha
Croatia will most likely win against Russia and so England will face off against them for semis probably coming out on top although Croatia is a very difficult team for England to play against. Belgium looks like the better team, ultimately winning against France. It's all wishful thinking at this point and to early to tell, but I think the Finals will be England vs Belgium with Belgium coming out on top.
France vs Belgium 3-2

England vs Croatia. 2-1

England vs France 1-0

Kane scores an extra time stunner to win us the cup.

Mark my words.
Torn between a semi defeat or final defeat. Semi defeat would end the Hubris quicker and give us an enjoyable final, final defeat though would be beautiful for the tears
Would Brazil, Uruguay, Germany any of the other big teams beaten us is the question? We have a very easy route to the final a chance like this won't happen again.
Reply 198
Whatever happens now, to get to the semi finals and a guaranteed 7th game when we haven't done that in my lifetime is a great achievement imo and they deserve a lot of credit and praise when they do return home from the tournament, and I certainly hope Southgate will continue in the job and build on this tournament going into 2020 and 2022, to transform the national team from the abject laughing stock of Euro 2016 to a WC semi-finalist and an actual team rather than just a collection of gifted individuals (regardless of who we've played, because let's not forget we lost to Iceland in 2016) is a brilliant achievement.

As for what happens now though, I've no idea, but I do have a good feeling that England will play in the final on the 15th, although on a personal level, I'm freaking out at that idea as I'll be on a plane halfway across the Atlantic when its the final, it could be a literal once in a lifetime event and I'll miss it :dry:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by karl pilkington
Would Brazil, Uruguay, Germany any of the other big teams beaten us is the question? We have a very easy route to the final a chance like this won't happen again.

True words. It is really an easy route to the final, as England has not played against a former world champion or a top favorite (France is the only one which is left!).

Brazil would be the hardest you mentioned, Germany the easiest in this form. So many world champions were out before the quarter finals were kicked off, strange (Italy was not even qualified for Russia 2018...). So it is the best chance for England to come to moscow.

Quick Reply

Latest