Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just looking for some different points of view as I know you can be blinded when looking at decisions close to your heart...

I've got all my offers through now (for History - 2008 entry) and have to make my decisions.

I am predicted AAB/AAA in English Lit Lang, Religious Studies and History having achieved AAABB in my AS Levels. (Note; after my Jan exams, one of the AS Bs would now be a high A)

My offers are:

Cardiff - AAB
    Warwick - AAB
    Lancaster - ABB
    Hull - BBB
    Bangor - BCC

I've always said that I would rather go to the university where I would be happiest but to be honest, I'm not sure where that is. I have pretty much crossed off Bangor, and possibly Cardiff, so the decision is between Lancaster, Warwick and Hull.

The Good and The Bad:

Lancaster

Like the range of Part Two modules.
    Like the town & campus.
    Option to go abroad (States or Copenhagen) - which is something I'd love.
    Possible scholarship of £1000 if I get AAA.
    Quite close to home, whilst still being a healthy distance away.

But...

The Part One modules are limited.
    The department is ranked relatively poorly (around No. 40)
    Lecturers seem very varied - some seem focused on own research whilst others are more friendly.
    Never really got that 'buzz' / 'wow factor' when I visited (seen it twice).
    One of the main reasons I applied was to go to Wellesley in second year, which I probably won't be able to afford anyway.

Warwick

Amazing reputation both for the department and the university.
    Green campus - important to me.
    Some interesting modules.
    Would be pushed(?) due to high standards.

But...

I've had to apply for History & Culture as I don't want to do a language.
    The accomodation seems to be the most expensive out of all the universities I've applied to and facilities seem quite poor, eg, up to 24 to a kitchen!
    They performed really badly (in comparison) on the NSS - is there a lack of support? Ie, is it a case of, if you understand you are fine but if you don't then you're on your own?
    Lacks offering a real opportunity to study abroad.
    Campus seems a little far from nearby towns so is getting a job going to be difficult?
    Don't have the option of doing a dissertation on my course. =(

Hull

Love the module options, especially years one and three.
    The lecturers and students alike seem really friendly and welcoming.
    If I am willing to take an active role, there is a chance I could go to the states (Baldwin Wallace would be my choice).
    The city is lovely, especially the old town.
    They have good links with the Wilberforce institute, which is an area of history I'd enjoy learning more about.
    The second time I visited, I kind of got a buzz off the place.
    Have been offered a scholarship of £1500, if I get ABB.

But...

They are not ranked particularly well.
    The accomodation is of middling standards and is not that close to the campus.
    The entry grades make the options of an insurance narrow.
    The campus is having extensive building work done, which seems to be a continuous occurance - would that be disruptive?

So, there is my dilema.

Can anyone give me an objective opinion on the situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Campus seems a little far from nearby towns so is getting a job going to be difficult?
    I'm assuming you mean "job" as in part-time job and not graduate prospects...

It's not that far: Coventry is 10-15 minutes away by bus (5 mins when no traffic) and leamington is 20-25 minutes. You can also find a job on campus, and in your 2nd year you'll be living in one of the cities mentioned so just find a job in the city you'll be living in.

Regarding accommodation, I lived in what is considered the worst/cheapest accommodation at Warwick: Cryfield (the one with 24/kitchen). And I NEVER had to queue for using any of the kitchen facilities, the same applies for toilets and showers. The facilities were of a very good standard considering how little I was paying.

ReputationRep:
    imo i'd say warwick.
    but your choice and that the wow factor is most important.

ReputationRep:
    Much as it pains me to say it, because I love Lancaster and I am very happy here, but if I were you I would choose Warwick, because of the better reputation. And you seem really committed to the subject.
    I do History at Lancs, and you are right about the limited options in Part 1. This is because of the Major/Minor system, where the minors can prove to be more work than the Major. It is fine if you are not too sure about your choice of subject (which I wasn't) but if you are passionate about History then it could get a bit frustrating. On the other hand, Part 2 has loads of options, most of them really interesting, we are spoiled for choice in years 2 and 3 - I do Islamic History for example, which is fascinating.
    I find the tutors generally enthusiastic and helpful, and most of them very good at teaching, but there is the odd exception (no names!).

ReputationRep:
    Firm- Warwick
    Insurance- Lancaster
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    Firm- Warwick
    Insurance- Lancaster
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I would say warwick too..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    Firm- Warwick
    Insurance- Lancaster
    Ditto

In the long run, the superficial effects of accomodation and possibility of gaining a job on campus are negated by the degree and uni you went to, and Warwick certainly trumps both (even though Lancaster is a beautiful uni :P)

ReputationRep:
    Warwick... my cousin is there atm in his first year, hes loving it from what I have heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaywa)
    Ditto

In the long run, the superficial effects of accomodation and possibility of gaining a job on campus are negated by the degree and uni you went to, and Warwick certainly trumps both (even though Lancaster is a beautiful uni :P)
    I think it is fair enough considering the long run, after all there would be little point in getting a degree if you didn't have plans for how to use it afterwards. [My plans are to take an MA in Peace Studies and then (or the other way around) a PGCE; I want to work either for a charity or go down the the route of the UN etc].

But, financially I am going to struggle. I've worked out that with all the financial support I am going to receive, it will come down to about £100 per week, so a job is an absolute must. Especially when you consider that Warwick accomodation is £70-£100 per week for a normal room and £100+ for an ensuite.

Thus, I understand what you are saying but I can't ignore the practical aspects of the next three years. After all, I am unlikely to achieve the grades or feel motivated if I have a host of worries to contend with.

Mmm. It's all things to think about I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you preferred Hull. I mean of course you have to think about the future, it's up to you, but you don't want to sacrifice your happiness for a university's reputation. I suppose if you're going on to further studies you'll have to look at entry requirements for them and see if it affects anything. .

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Warwick or Lancaster, but leaning towards Warwick
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Personally I'd say Warwick because it is the uni with the better repuation, and Lancaster as Insurance. Although that's basically becuase I come from near Hull and I don't really like it (however, I do know people who have gone to uni there and liked it, I just don't like the city).
    Maybe go and visit them all again, talk to current students/lecturers, and then make your decision - you need to be sure that you will be happy wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    Reputation isn't everything. Those subject league tables are not reliable because average entry grades are a measure of fashion/perceived reputation rather than academic standards. Lancaster's department is very good and scores consistently highly on the TQI - and I believe student satisfaction at Hull is high too - their course looks great fun to me. Warwick scores less well on the TQI I think and the campus is not everyone's cup of tea (it's much more isolated than Lancaster, for example). Also single honours History may be marginally more marketable than History and Culture - because people (employers) may not understand what the Culture bit is about and think it's something like media studies - you might get away with it because it's Warwick though.

Finally, the major/minor system for Lancaster History degrees is I believe changing this year - as in you can do two History courses and one minor subject if you prefer - ring them and check this out but I understand that this is the case. This might make it more attractive to you.

In the end you should go with your heart/instincts. Don't let the reputation bit cloud your judgement, because in the end you will get a much better degree when you are happy somewhere and the course really interests you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Warwick scores less well on the TQI I think and the campus is not everyone's cup of tea (it's much more isolated than Lancaster, for example).
    Firstly, went to an open day today. I didn't see it before I applied as it was sort of a wildcard for me. And, well. I hated it. We queued for over 40 minutes alongside loads of dirty buses and general through traffic on campus. The students didn't look that happy - they all looked a bit down, although to be fair that could be just mid-year blues. However, after visiting and realising it is much more money-orientated than I thought (I know that they pride themselves on being business-orientated but it felt as it studying/the students were second priority), and the fact that the course doesn't really offer the things I want to do, I have decided against the place.

Finally, the major/minor system for Lancaster History degrees is I believe changing this year - as in you can do two History courses and one minor subject if you prefer - ring them and check this out but I understand that this is the case. This might make it more attractive to you.
    Also, at the open day they mentioned that you can do a 'Renaissance Studies' (which covers all aspects of the period but is taught within the History department) as one of your minors. Might do that. I know that my first choice minor is American Studies, as I was even considering do this as a joint degree with History, which also deals with historical aspects, so I guess I can structure my first year to be relatively history based. Considing English Literature as well - looks like an interesting range of works to study, although there is quite a lot given it is only one third of your years work. Will see.

In the end you should go with your heart/instincts. Don't let the reputation bit cloud your judgement, because in the end you will get a much better degree when you are happy somewhere and the course really interests you.
    I am glad to see someone understands my train of thought lol. My dilemma now is between:

Firm: Lancaster (ABB)
    Insu: Hull (BBB)

Advantages of Lancaster as 1st:
    • £1000 scholarship for gaining AAA.
    • It is achievable grades without being too low (so as to let me think I can chill out lol).
    • I'd get to pick which college and the accomodation type with a good chance of actually getting it.

Or

Firm: Hull (BBB)
    Insu: None.

Advantages of Hull as 1st:
    • £1500 scholarship for gaining ABB.
    • It seems like the chance of getting certain types of accomodation are significantly better if you are not an insurance applicant.
    • It would give great piece of mind as I am on target to gain grades that are higher than the scholarship offer - takes away some of the worry.
    • I just got a postcard from one of the lecturers I spoke to on the open day. It is so sweet!

I've time to think I guess.

Thank you for your help.

=D

ReputationRep:
    The American Studies first year course at Lancaster (it's the same whether you are doing it as single/joint honours or as your minor) is hard work but worth it - I meant to mention it in my post as it has a very strong history component to it. So there you are

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.