How to tackle Stats 3 "investigation" questions

Watch
lethano
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Recently did a past paper for s3 international 2016 and there was one of those investigation-type questions I had to answer. How would you tackle those? I dropped two marks for talking about a different thing to what they wanted and I'm not entirely sure what they wanted me to say.
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lethano)
Recently did a past paper for s3 international 2016 and there was one of those investigation-type questions I had to answer. How would you tackle those? I dropped two marks for talking about a different thing to what they wanted and I'm not entirely sure what they wanted me to say.
I'm not sure what you mean by "investigation-type questions", so please could you clarify it. Also note that since S3 is a fairly niche module, not that many people will be able to help with this; indeed, I'm not an expert on statistics, but I'll try my best.
lethano
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Prasiortle)
I'm not sure what you mean by "investigation-type questions", so please could you clarify it. Also note that since S3 is a fairly niche module, not that many people will be able to help with this; indeed, I'm not an expert on statistics, but I'll try my best.
Yeah, I get I probably should have been a lot clearer. I mean when they ask what course of action someone (restaurant manager/factory owner, etc.) should take over something.

The answer is sometimes to do with calling an investigation into something.
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, I get I probably should have been a lot clearer. I mean when they ask what course of action someone (restaurant manager/factory owner, etc.) should take over something.

The answer is sometimes to do with calling an investigation into something.
Well, presumably you would want to conduct an investigation if you currently don't have enough data to answer whatever question you're considering with a sufficient degree of reliability.
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the fat content in the burger is less than what the restaurant states u gotta let the restaurant know that there advertising is false, or u could sample more burgers to confirm ur findings before letting the restaurant know.

Those kinda questions are testing how well u understand the context and interpret ur results in the given context. I dont think theres s one response fits all kinda answer u can learn.

U just gotta think logically about what makes sense given the situation.

Best of luck, i am also sitting s3. Worst case there will probz only be 2 marks on the paper on questions like this.

PS i hope i remember the situation right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (97)
61.78%
No (60)
38.22%

Watched Threads