Turn on thread page Beta

How to make yourself start liking vegetables watch

ReputationRep:
    The title says it all really- I’m vegetarian but only because my parents won’t let me be vegan for ethical reasons. But also vegetables are so healthy and I’ll need them to give me the nutrition I need but I hate most vegetables!

Mushrooms, beets, sweet corn and tomatoes are the 4 veggies I like. Other than that- 🤢🤢
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You should cook a recipe you like from scratch that includes some of the ingredients you don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinnoh)
    You should cook a recipe you like from scratch that includes some of the ingredients you don't
    Thank you😊

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a vegetarian but I am looking to up my intake of veggies so if you discover any ways to glamourise them I'd be very interested to know

ReputationRep:
    I don't know.
    For vegetables, you learn to tolerate them, not like them. Maybe try different recipes and mix it up with vegetables that you don't particularly like.
    If you can learn to at least tolerate them, it does get easier because you get used to the flavours. Like, I hated spinach when I was a kid but now, it's not really that big of a deal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rnl)
    The title says it all really- I’m vegetarian but only because my parents won’t let me be vegan for ethical reasons. But also vegetables are so healthy and I’ll need them to give me the nutrition I need but I hate most vegetables!

Mushrooms, beets, sweet corn and tomatoes are the 4 veggies I like. Other than that- 🤢🤢
    What about trying vegetable soups? I love most vegetable soups even if I dont like the whole vegetable.

Most of it with me is texture, rather than taste. So try them at different textures!

Watercress & Spinach fruit is one of my favourite things :heart: and its sooo good for you

ReputationRep:
    What is it you don't like about them ? their actual taste or their texture as above poster stated ? If it's a taste thing then try adding various herbs and spices to them, also take some you like and some you dont like and chop them all up and mix them together - this takes away the blandness as found in white potatoes.
    If it's the texture thing you don't like then try different cooking methods - for me my parents always used to boil the vegetables and this made them a little watery and I really found them to be dull and boring. Since then I now cook my own vegetables and I always steam them this way they retain a lot of their firmness and in my opinion also makes them a little more tasty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyxnko_)
    I don't know.
    For vegetables, you learn to tolerate them, not like them. Maybe try different recipes and mix it up with vegetables that you don't particularly like.
    If you can learn to at least tolerate them, it does get easier because you get used to the flavours. Like, I hated spinach when I was a kid but now, it's not really that big of a deal.
    Thank you for this I’ll try that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaseyB)
    What is it you don't like about them ? their actual taste or their texture as above poster stated ? If it's a taste thing then try adding various herbs and spices to them, also take some you like and some you dont like and chop them all up and mix them together - this takes away the blandness as found in white potatoes.
    If it's the texture thing you don't like then try different cooking methods - for me my parents always used to boil the vegetables and this made them a little watery and I really found them to be dull and boring. Since then I now cook my own vegetables and I always steam them this way they retain a lot of their firmness and in my opinion also makes them a little more tasty.
    Depends on the vegetable. For example carrots I don’t like the taste, broccoli I don’t like the texture and can’t even focus on a taste if I don’t like the texture. But thank you for this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    What about trying vegetable soups? I love most vegetable soups even if I dont like the whole vegetable.

Most of it with me is texture, rather than taste. So try them at different textures!

Watercress & Spinach fruit is one of my favourite things :heart: and its sooo good for you
    That’s a good idea- I liked my dad’s leek and potato soup a lot more than both of them on their own!

ReputationRep:
    Steam them - they lose most of their taste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnny.snow)
    Steam them - they lose most of their taste
    Cool😊 is nutrition still there though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnl)
    Cool😊 is nutrition still there though?
    Yeah - its a myth that they lose any minerals or whatever after steaming afaik

ReputationRep:
    this probably isn't that healthy, but anything tastes decent after deep-frying it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rnl)
    That’s a good idea- I liked my dad’s leek and potato soup a lot more than both of them on their own!
    Love Potato and Leek soup :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjrodarte339)
    this probably isn't that healthy, but anything tastes decent after deep-frying it.
    Fair enough haha

ReputationRep:
    Remove all taste factors from the vegetables themselves and begin viewing them as an incredibly, unfathomably healthy food that has a variety of untold health benefits on your body.

If you stop objectifying the vegetables soely on their taste and more on the sheer amount of vitamins they have, you begin to instinctively like them a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    Brocoli and caulliflower which are boiled and added with some salt and melted butter taste pheonomenal though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remiaitman)
    Brocoli and caulliflower which are boiled and added with some salt and melted butter taste pheonomenal though.
    I should try that haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remiaitman)
    Remove all taste factors from the vegetables themselves and begin viewing them as an incredibly, unfathomably healthy food that has a variety of untold health benefits on your body.

If you stop objectifying the vegetables soely on their taste and more on the sheer amount of vitamins they have, you begin to instinctively like them a lot more.
    That’s a great idea thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.