How to make yourself start liking vegetables

Watch
rnl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The title says it all really- I’m vegetarian but only because my parents won’t let me be vegan for ethical reasons. But also vegetables are so healthy and I’ll need them to give me the nutrition I need but I hate most vegetables!

Mushrooms, beets, sweet corn and tomatoes are the 4 veggies I like. Other than that- 🤢🤢
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should cook a recipe you like from scratch that includes some of the ingredients you don't
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You should cook a recipe you like from scratch that includes some of the ingredients you don't
Thank you😊
dcravenor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not a vegetarian but I am looking to up my intake of veggies so if you discover any ways to glamourise them I'd be very interested to know
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know.
For vegetables, you learn to tolerate them, not like them. Maybe try different recipes and mix it up with vegetables that you don't particularly like.
If you can learn to at least tolerate them, it does get easier because you get used to the flavours. Like, I hated spinach when I was a kid but now, it's not really that big of a deal.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
The title says it all really- I’m vegetarian but only because my parents won’t let me be vegan for ethical reasons. But also vegetables are so healthy and I’ll need them to give me the nutrition I need but I hate most vegetables!

Mushrooms, beets, sweet corn and tomatoes are the 4 veggies I like. Other than that- 🤢🤢
What about trying vegetable soups? I love most vegetable soups even if I dont like the whole vegetable.

Most of it with me is texture, rather than taste. So try them at different textures!

Watercress & Spinach fruit is one of my favourite things :heart: and its sooo good for you
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What is it you don't like about them ? their actual taste or their texture as above poster stated ? If it's a taste thing then try adding various herbs and spices to them, also take some you like and some you dont like and chop them all up and mix them together - this takes away the blandness as found in white potatoes.
If it's the texture thing you don't like then try different cooking methods - for me my parents always used to boil the vegetables and this made them a little watery and I really found them to be dull and boring. Since then I now cook my own vegetables and I always steam them this way they retain a lot of their firmness and in my opinion also makes them a little more tasty.
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
I don't know.
For vegetables, you learn to tolerate them, not like them. Maybe try different recipes and mix it up with vegetables that you don't particularly like.
If you can learn to at least tolerate them, it does get easier because you get used to the flavours. Like, I hated spinach when I was a kid but now, it's not really that big of a deal.
Thank you for this I’ll try that!
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaseyB)
What is it you don't like about them ? their actual taste or their texture as above poster stated ? If it's a taste thing then try adding various herbs and spices to them, also take some you like and some you dont like and chop them all up and mix them together - this takes away the blandness as found in white potatoes.
If it's the texture thing you don't like then try different cooking methods - for me my parents always used to boil the vegetables and this made them a little watery and I really found them to be dull and boring. Since then I now cook my own vegetables and I always steam them this way they retain a lot of their firmness and in my opinion also makes them a little more tasty.
Depends on the vegetable. For example carrots I don’t like the taste, broccoli I don’t like the texture and can’t even focus on a taste if I don’t like the texture. But thank you for this!
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack22031994)
What about trying vegetable soups? I love most vegetable soups even if I dont like the whole vegetable.

Most of it with me is texture, rather than taste. So try them at different textures!

Watercress & Spinach fruit is one of my favourite things :heart: and its sooo good for you
That’s a good idea- I liked my dad’s leek and potato soup a lot more than both of them on their own!
username3832246
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Steam them - they lose most of their taste
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by johnny.snow)
Steam them - they lose most of their taste
Cool😊 is nutrition still there though?
username3832246
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
Cool😊 is nutrition still there though?
Yeah - its a myth that they lose any minerals or whatever after steaming afaik
pjrodarte339
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
this probably isn't that healthy, but anything tastes decent after deep-frying it.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rnl)
That’s a good idea- I liked my dad’s leek and potato soup a lot more than both of them on their own!
Love Potato and Leek soup :heart:
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by pjrodarte339)
this probably isn't that healthy, but anything tastes decent after deep-frying it.
Fair enough haha
remiaitman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Remove all taste factors from the vegetables themselves and begin viewing them as an incredibly, unfathomably healthy food that has a variety of untold health benefits on your body.

If you stop objectifying the vegetables soely on their taste and more on the sheer amount of vitamins they have, you begin to instinctively like them a lot more.
remiaitman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Brocoli and caulliflower which are boiled and added with some salt and melted butter taste pheonomenal though.
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by remiaitman)
Brocoli and caulliflower which are boiled and added with some salt and melted butter taste pheonomenal though.
I should try that haha
rnl
Rep:
?
(Original post by remiaitman)
Remove all taste factors from the vegetables themselves and begin viewing them as an incredibly, unfathomably healthy food that has a variety of untold health benefits on your body.

If you stop objectifying the vegetables soely on their taste and more on the sheer amount of vitamins they have, you begin to instinctively like them a lot more.
That’s a great idea thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads