How hard is Further Maths A-Level? Watch

Seppuku
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
Most people who get A*/A in normal maths are people who got A* grades at GCSE.

Typical grade would be a B/C for an A student.

For further maths, it's probably a C
Progress is non linear. These are generalisations.
donkey.kong
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just do it.

If you don't like it your sixth form will probably let you change in the first term.
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Amin-K)
can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or not...?
Complete sarcasm. Some people find it easy, some people find it hard, it varies person to person.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username2752874
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Seppuku)
Progress is non linear. These are generalisations.
What do you mean non-linear? It's pretty common that an A* student transitions into A Level much easier than a B grade student. The progress is very much linear.

But ofc it's generalisation, it's also fact. It's up to OP whether he wants to buck the trend
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It really really depends. GCSE isn’t the best indicator.

I know someone who got a C in FM after A*’s in Maths, FM Stats at GCSE, and another who scraped an A (just) who got an A in FM. Keep up to date with what’s happening in class, and revise each week for what you’ve learnt, and you’ll be fine. Teachers are there to explain what needs explaining.
Seppuku
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What do you mean non-linear?

It's up to OP whether he wants to buck the trend
That's what I meant. Stupid analogy btw.

I mean it isn't always true. There are bound to be people who had Bs in GCSEs who got A*s in further maths. The main idea that it is possible.
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Most people who get A*/A in normal maths are people who got A* grades at GCSE.

Typical grade would be a B/C for an A student.

For further maths, it's probably a C
No you’re incorrect.

Many people who have gotten As at GCSE maths have gone on to get As/A*s at a level maths. I’m at A2 right now, so I think my point is valid.
MCArth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
iGCSES are harder than normal GCSEs are they not? Honestly it depends on what you want to do at university - if you want to do computer science universities love you having further maths and you should definitely give it a try. Otherwise I would only recommend you do it if you enjoy maths and it's your favourite subject - if you're talented at it then you will have to do an average amount of work but if you're not talented you will definitely have to do a lot of work.

If you do go for it but don't believe you are overly talented I would recommend starting off the first half term with an additional subject that you could drop further maths for as you need at least 3 a levels to go to university if you find further maths too difficult - otherwise you can then drop that subject at half term. (I'm doing maths, FM, physics and economics and honestly wish I'd dropped physics in my first year as it's my worst subject by far.)
Ally's
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would say that if you are the kind of mathematician who ‘ gets it’ then have a go. Sometimes it takes time to stop making silly mistakes and hence losing marks and possibly grades and hopefully this will happen during 6th form. You can always drop to AS further maths if it gets too much (Assume you are starting 4 a levels). On the other hand, if at gcse/igcse you were getting high marks because of constant repetition/practice of papers rather than ‘getting it’ then be cautious with FM as you might struggle with the way questions are asked.
As.1997
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by darkes)
I got an A (close to an A*) in my maths iGCSE. I'm thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science as my a-levels however I've heard Further Maths is incredibly hard in comparison to the Maths a-level. I have a passion for maths and particularly like the more pure side of maths not percentages and the basic GCSE stuff.
Whether it is hard or not, is not the issue. As long as you do everything you can to do well then it shouldn't be a concern.
Saif Saleemi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
you shouldn't do it unless you get an a* or 9 for maths with ease for gcse. what might happen is that you eill struggle with further maths and end up spending time on that, which will reduce the amount of time you spend on other subjects so overall it could mess you up completely. no point taking it unless you get an A in it...
Black Water
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
GCSE isn’t always the best indicator. If you really like Maths and want to pursue it further, then go ahead. You’ll find out during the course how well you will end up doing.
Directrix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In my opinion, Further Maths is marginally more difficult than Maths. Once you get a grasp of the more difficult concepts, it shouldn't be too bad. If you can get an A*/A in Maths, then I'd say you have a reasonable shot at getting an A or B for Further Maths. It's hard to say though because it really depends on the person, so maybe it could be worth briefly looking through the content of each subject to see how well you think you'd be suited to them?
theweisenheimer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have an A* (with 95%) for Maths but it's spec A and A*-G syllabus (I don't really know the difference between specs but apparently spec A is a tad bit easier than spec B). Do you think I'll be able to do Further Maths? It seems a bit hard and the new syllabus is supposed to be harder. However I also really like Maths...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.11%
Yes - a food allergy (61)
10.63%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.61%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.61%
No (402)
70.03%

Watched Threads