Turn on thread page Beta

Private School watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've attened two private schools. My primary one was a tiny little mixed one in the countryside where the paly ground was in the woods with adventure play equiptment!! Loved it.

Secondary school: all girls, small school. Never actually want to leave, I love it sooo much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amandeep_Psych07)
    Oh yeah, that really annoyed me. Kids whose parents paid the £1500 a term fees with cash out their back pockets or those whose parents had worked hard and saved up to give their kids a decent education. Guess which one I was, and no it's not the former.
    Seriously, only £1500? I went to a not-so-great private school, and it cost a lot more than than, consider yourself lucky!

I don't know what my perception of it is really, I spent 14 years there, so it's hard to judge life without it. I didn't enjoy most of it, to be honest, but I loved the sixth form. I think I wouldn't have been any happier in the state system though - I loved the environment I was in. Small class sizes, masses of extra-curriculars, teachers you respected (for the most part) and a sense of tradition. I suppose that sense of tradition is insignificant now I think about it - my years at that school accounted for less than 1% of its age, and I made little impact on it, so what does it matter?

If there's one thing I did like though, it was how close knit everyone was. Granted that leads to social groups and some people being excluded (probably everyone at some point or another), but when something important happens, everyone becomes your friend and you all take care of each other. I don't know, it wasn't amazing, but I would still do it all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amandeep_Psych07)
    Yes I did. I hated it at the time, but I am quite grateful now that I did receive such a privileged education. I went from a private secondary school, to an underachieving, state college where the kids had barely passed their GCSEs. It made me realise how lucky I had actually been.

Sorry, but i need to say one thing: Foo Fighters Rule!!!

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarCAZm)
    I do. and I love it.
    Especially in the 6th form. It's awesome.
    We're not a very fancy private school though, only about 3.5k a term I think.
    But we are all very protective of our school. Its sweet. We ***** abouyt it non stop, but if any "outsider" says a single bad word about it we get rather up in arms XD Or would if we weren't all un"street wise" posh kids.
    Couldn't agree more. No one was allowed to say a bad word about it without the entire student population turning on them. Only we could ***** about how bad it was Like a dysfunctional family

ReputationRep:
    But we are all very protective of our school. Its sweet. We ***** abouyt it non stop, but if any "outsider" says a single bad word about it we get rather up in arms XD Or would if we weren't all un"street wise" posh kids.
    I'd say that sums it up pretty perfectly.

I've been at praivate school since i was 5 (except for one year, when i left, hated it, and came back the next year) and i am very happy to have been to private schools.

(Original post by maidmarion)
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it was once known that teachers in private schools didn't have the qualifications that were needed to teach in state schools and didn't need to be qualified (or as qualified?) to teach in private education. So infact your teachers in state schools are more highly qualified :-D Could be wrong but it's just something I once heard.
    Whilst technically that is correct i think you miss understand it. Our "wonderful" government has imposed about 50 regulations for teachers wanting to join the state sector and has created new compulsory teacher training courses. Therefore private teachers, who don't need to, don't take these, whereas state school teachers have to. So technically the private teachers arn't "qualified" to teach in the state schools no matter how long they have been teaching for, nor how good they are. This is not a reflection on their teaching ability nor their qualifications in terms of the degrees they have taken or where they have taught.

An example of this is recently the ex-head of a top, top private school who had been teaching for around 40 years decided that he would teach in state schools for a change; but couldn't simply because he hadn't taken this course designed for new teachers.

(Original post by QuantumParity)
    The guys from Eton who are now at Oxford are the worst ****e people I've ever met. They hardly work and mock everyone else for not being as wealthy as themselves.
    Examples? Wouldn't have expected that at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninaabbey)
    a lot of private schools are very academic and so smart, but the kids there aren't well rounded, like barely anyone is part of a club or a team and next to no-one does any charity work.
    im at a private 6th form and have been at private school for 6 years and i love it, but i disagree with ninaabbey, my school asks all students play at least one sport, join at least two teams and collect for various charities, this may seem a bit dictatorial but i truly believe that its made me well rounded and helped me achieve better grades than i would have at my local public school, i agree that some private schools may set the students up for a fall, but not in my schools case, anyone else completely happy with their time at private/independant school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Seriously, only £1500? I went to a not-so-great private school, and it cost a lot more than than, consider yourself lucky!
    £1500 was the starting fee! It then rose to about £3000 per term in years 9, 10 & 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronan1888)
    Sorry, but i need to say one thing: Foo Fighters Rule!!!

That is all.
    :laugh:

Indeed they do!

:topic:

ReputationRep:
    I've been at state school all my life but then in year 9 I got sick to death of it and moved to private school. I am so chuffed I did as I am much happier and am doing much better than I would have done if I stayed at my state school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingshoes10)
    I've been at state school all my life but then in year 9 I got sick to death of it and moved to private school. I am so chuffed I did as I am much happier and am doing much better than I would have done if I stayed at my state school

So they didn't reject you for not being one of their kind?

ReputationRep:
    Two and a half grand in school fees per term, ouch. I still go to private school, it became pretty boring after all my friends left. Seeing as i've never been in anything other than private, i guess i don't know what state school is like

It's not bad really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gee_shakedown)
    So they didn't reject you for not being one of their kind?
    No because most of them had gone to state primary schools and only been private for secondary so they wern't all snobbish. The standard also suits me better at private school. I don't think private or state school is better than the other I think it differs from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    I went during my GCSE'S as my local school was a pile of ****e, my parents remorgaged the house, and i had a pretty huge bursary just for those 2 years. I went to an all girls school..and i think the experience would have been different if i went too a mixed private school. I found the girls knew everyones buisness and was *****y as hell...educationally, i came out with very good results, something i felt i wouldn't have achieved if left at my old school. My parents couldn't afford to send me too sixth form, so i went to the best one in bristol by state education, and i'm doing pretty well..it goes to show money doesn't necessarily buy a good education.

ReputationRep:
    I did, received a brilliant education but wasn't such a fan of the fact that I had to board from the age of 11.

ReputationRep:
    I do. and I love it.
    Especially in the 6th form. It's awesome.
    We're not a very fancy private school though, only about 3.5k a term I think.
    :dito:
    i go to a private school and i think the fact too that everyone else is clever, spurs me on to do well and not just sit back and relax...but then again i am quite competitive.
    i love it
    i also find that there is more of a will to work, even though most people were put into private school by their parents. and even though there is *****iness (especially as its all girls) we all know eachother and get on wuite well. its great i really like it and i dont see why anyone would be against private schools...unless theyve had a bad experience there. it annoys me that people are against public school 'on priniciple' as most of them havent experienced it. i think private school can be fantastic. espeically ones like ours, in the ventre of a town and really involved with the community and other schools. i think that helps us not to have a 'stuck-up' reputation, unlike the other girls school nearby...:p:
    i love it

ReputationRep:
    I went to one for two years, and yes, it was a nice place - beautiful buildings, lovely grounds, and its own swimming pool, but I don't think the education I got there was any better at all.
    The fact that a majority of the children were obviously much richer and therefore 'posher' was the only real difference I noticed.

ReputationRep:
    My ex g/f went to a private school (one of the best in the country) and things apparently got quite catty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura0310)
    :dito:
    i go to a private school and i think the fact too that everyone else is clever, spurs me on to do well and not just sit back and relax...but then again i am quite competitive.
    i love it
    i also find that there is more of a will to work, even though most people were put into private school by their parents. and even though there is *****iness (especially as its all girls) we all know eachother and get on wuite well. its great i really like it and i dont see why anyone would be against private schools...unless theyve had a bad experience there. it annoys me that people are against public school 'on priniciple' as most of them havent experienced it. i think private school can be fantastic. espeically ones like ours, in the ventre of a town and really involved with the community and other schools. i think that helps us not to have a 'stuck-up' reputation, unlike the other girls school nearby...:p:
    i love it
    It's not the quality of education provided that most people are against, it's the fact that people get a better education based primarily on wealth rather than ability (barring bursaries etc). If a private school education is so much better than a state one then that, for me at least, makes it worse because the majority of people, no matter how deserving, wouldn't have access to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econ-hec)
    im at a private 6th form and have been at private school for 6 years and i love it, but i disagree with ninaabbey, my school asks all students play at least one sport, join at least two teams and collect for various charities, this may seem a bit dictatorial but i truly believe that its made me well rounded and helped me achieve better grades than i would have at my local public school, i agree that some private schools may set the students up for a fall, but not in my schools case, anyone else completely happy with their time at private/independant school?
    i wouldn't know, i've never been. i'm just going by hearsay.

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.