The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
gee_shakedown
So they didn't reject you for not being one of their kind?

This happened to me. I stepped in to the posh, snobby school with what was, at the time, a strong Northern accent, tut tut.
Luckily, it wasn't a huge change for me because I'd been bullied badly at every other school I'd been to as well, but still, it was a bit weird being called 'commoner'. :p:
Reply 41
I went to a Private School. Got kicked out a year ago. Now I'm Homestudying.
Homeschooling Rocks baby :biggrin:
Reply 42
~Ollie~
It's not the quality of education provided that most people are against, it's the fact that people get a better education based primarily on wealth rather than ability (barring bursaries etc). If a private school education is so much better than a state one then that, for me at least, makes it worse because the majority of people, no matter how deserving, wouldn't have access to it

does that mean that people would be against private healthcare or ceratin types of supermarkets...i.e. some people shop in asda others in waitrose, based on how much money they have in many cases.
people have a choice...my parents used their hard-earned money to send their daughters to private school, while others used it to have flash cars and expensive holidays.
Reply 43
Well I would undoubtedly be against private healthcare (look at the US), Supermarkets are obviously different because they are all private and provide the same products more or less. I'm not saying it's wrong for people to send their kids to private schools, I'm just saying the reason people are against them isn't because they give a bad education, it's because generally they give a good education but only to those who afford it. Others might spend their money on flash cars and expensive holidays, yes, but that doesn't mean that the kids whose parents (not themselves) don't prioritise education in the same way should be penalised
Reply 44
i agree, but its really just how society works and the fact that some people just have to face the fact that they cannot afford it and get on with life, whereas i would count myself lucky that iv had this opportunity. i think its more that people who are against it because it is cutting out people who cant afford it are jealous. it is just like everything in the world...some things are onyl open to those who can pay for it.
Reply 45
Laura0310
i agree, but its really just how society works and the fact that some people just have to face the fact that they cannot afford it and get on with life, whereas i would count myself lucky that iv had this opportunity. i think its more that people who are against it because it is cutting out people who cant afford it are jealous. it is just like everything in the world...some things are onyl open to those who can pay for it.

No I'm sorry but that is just plain not true. I am against it for this reason and yet I'm certainly not 'jealous'. I have done just fine without and in fact in Year 9 my parents wanted to send me to a private school (we do have the money) but I chose not to and I would make that choice again. I repeat, I am not 'jealous', I am just opposed to the idea that something as significant as the quality of your education should be decided by your wealth. I am also realistic and obviously some things are open only to those that can pay for it, but you seem to have some very strange views about where the opposition to private education comes from
I have always been in private education. The school I've been at since Year 7 and where I will stay for sixth form (currently in year 11) is boys only but the girls school is basically on the same campus and part of the same "endowed schools".

In my opinion if your determined you'd do just as well in a private school as in a state school, whereas if your not very determined being in a private school could make all the difference.Even though I'm here in a private school, I admit, I don't make the most of my education at all, there are some lessons I don't pay attention in at all and when it comes to exams and tests I tend to learn and understand the stuff then using revision guides, which whilst isn't that great an idea, has worked for me and I do get fairly good grades. On the basis of that, I think if I was in a state school whilst I probably wouldn't feel I'd "fit in" as much, I think I'd still get the same GCSE grades at the end of the day.

My school is one of the mid range priced ones I think at something like £3-4k a term (I think) and it is actually one of the oldest if not the oldest boys only school in the whole world... well that's what we were told in an assembly, but I don't really listen so could be wrong :P
Reply 47
gee_shakedown

It was the worst experience of my life.

I was victimised and the whole experience left me lethargic, apathetic, depressed and with no self confidence.

Since being at state school I've discovered how badly I was treated, my teachers here care about my ability ,not about my hair being tied back, or wearing the wrong colour socks, they also seem better at their subjects.
Rant over :biggrin:
I'm glad some over people have had the same experiences, I guess it's actually quite a common thing.

Yes, I had very similar experiences to you at a private girls school I attended from age 11-13. I was there on an assisted place - i.e. the government paid all my fees - so I was the odd one out from the start. I wasn't remotely jealous of the other girls' wealth, but the teachers ignored and sometimes ridiculed me throughout my time at the school - they seemed to have much more of a problem with my financial status than the other students did. The whole school ethos was to suck up to the girls with the richest parents, in the hope of generous donations etc. It was very obvious that the richest girls were put in the top sets and got the lead roles in plays etc, because their parents gave so much money to the school in return for these 'favours'. The bottom sets were filled with people on bursaries and those whose parents could only just afford the fees, with nothing left over. It was shockingly obvious. Apart from all that, I'd gone into the school having been doing past GCSE maths and English papers for fun at primary school (it was a very progressive school), but by the end of the first year at private school I'd been put in the third set for maths, and been given a D at the end of year exam for English.

Like you, I lost all my academic confidence and enthusiasm, and my grades plummeted along with my nerves. Worst time of my life, definitely. Thankfully my mother finally let me leave when she saw the effect it was having on me, and after that I never went to school again but taught myself from home. It took me about two and a half years to get my love of learning back, though. I'm doing a PhD (in English) now with the aim of becoming a university lecturer, but if I'd stayed at that school I would probably be filling shelves at Tesco by now.
Reply 48
i go to private school-and ours is mixed and non-selective.i absolutely love it just because everybody is closer in a smaller school,including teachers.
Reply 49
Laura0310

actually, alot of us people who go to state schools enjoy it. there will be some people who are jealous, i don't doubt that at all, but the majority either just don't care either way because we still get a good education. i guess some people just find it unfair that to have the best you need to pay excess amounts of money. and the idea of 'cutting out' makes me assume that you're a bit of a snob that have a 'them' and 'us'.
Reply 50
I rejected private school. The 'open morning' was just hideous. The only reason I wish I went is due to grades. I know lots of people have had lovely times at their independant schools, but it wasn't for me :smile: I needed to toughen up and the experiences I had at my current school did just that.
Sher Royal
So what schools are people at then? I'm at Repton. It's a public school and I really enjoy it.

Loughborough Grammar School

Apparently the longest running only boys school in the world..
Sher Royal
So what schools are people at then? I'm at Repton. It's a public school and I really enjoy it.

Did you never have one of those assembleys at school telling you not to share personal details over the net?
Reply 53
let the bragging commence.
Democracy
Did you never have one of those assembleys at school telling you not to share personal details over the net?

I don't think much harm can come from simply saying what school you go to.. A majority of the users here keep this information in their profiles, and more.

And, it is required to fill in "where you study" when you join the site.
millicent
let the bragging commence.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Maybe some people are actually interested.
Reply 56
maidmarion
I never went to private school, but I have a lot of friend who did, and I feel that there is a small element of being 'street wise' missing in them. I think in state school you have to work for yourself if you want the grades and this is significant in later life for self character and motivation etc. Students in private education get pushed alot by teachers/parents, rather than them wanting it for themselves.

In my experience, many state-educated students are less able to interact formally, put forward their opinions confidently and have a basic grasp of manners.

Perhaps that's a bit on the blunt side, but it does get rather annoying to have the 'private schooled people are somehow deficient' angle thrown around whenever discussions like this arise.

For the record, I've been to both.
Reply 57
blythegirl
My mum's a teacher and says that there is no difference between how good the level of teaching is.

There probably isn't. I've met some terrific state school teachers in my time.

It's more the ethos, facilities and environment that people are looking for.
Yeah, i went to one and hated every minute of it. It was very academic and i was looked down upon cos i was good at music and drama rather than maths or science.
L i b
In my experience, many state-educated students are less able to interact formally, put forward their opinions confidently and have a basic grasp of manners.

Perhaps that's a bit on the blunt side, but it does get rather annoying to have the 'private schooled people are somehow deficient' angle thrown around whenever discussions like this arise.

For the record, I've been to both.

I disagree. how can going to a private school be in anyway realistic to 'the outside world'. you dont get to meet a diverse range of people from different social backgrounds.
I just dont see the point of spending thousands of pounds on education when it should be and is free in other schools and get good qualifications at the end!

Latest

Trending

Trending