Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    In my experience, many state-educated students are less able to interact formally, put forward their opinions confidently and have a basic grasp of manners.
    I agree. When I went to the House of Lords student debate, it was rather easy to tell who went to a state school, and who was private by confidence, and style (not just accent)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumParity)
    The guys from Eton who are now at Oxford are the worst ****e people I've ever met. They hardly work and mock everyone else for not being as wealthy as themselves.

I know a few people like that, but they're not necessarily Etoneans!
    There are pro's and con's to both. I was at state school for 5 years and am at, what I would call a middle range private school (i.e. its not as good as Stowe or Rugby). I would definately say that the academic education is better at this private school than the state one I went to.

Having said that the state system is not a uniform one, they vary in quality, the one I went to was particularly bad. I would say though (not as a dig to private schools, obviously that would be fairly hypocritical) there are more people here who have had less life experience/education than those at state. Some people are going to have a bit of a surprise when they go to uni at first, I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    In my experience, many state-educated students are less able to interact formally, put forward their opinions confidently and have a basic grasp of manners.
    even though i go to one of these schools i have to agree. manners are not something you come across. my brother got pulled up for his uniform by the headteacher on friday because he was wearing a football top instead of his school shirt, and when questioned about it, he replied "it's none of your business!". and to interact formally, yes and no. there is s mixture of people who know how to act in different situations, and people become more aware of this the older they get, but yes. as for opinions. i have to strongly disagree here. i think we're some of the most opinionated people you'll ever come across, and you have to have confidence to survive in any state school.

(Original post by millicent)
    let the bragging commence
    lol, so true.... *posh voice* "oh, i attend Eton in year 7, but on weekends and three other days a week, i am enrolled in Oxfordshire university where i study quantem physics"

ReputationRep:
    im not saying that everyone who cant afford to go to private school and is against it is jealous. not at all. maybe i was unclear in what i was saying. i know that plenty of people go to state schools and love, as with people who go to private schools. i have excperienced both state and private and the latter was a hudred times better, for many reasons, not just the education. thats just my experience. i have said this before, and will say it again - this is just like many things in life...people are unable to have things they cannot afford and they have to face that. some, as a consequence, are jealous. i do however, think it is a little naive, to have such strong opininons against something, when you have never experienced it. i understand that you may be against it in principle, but for me, this 'principle' is completely and utterly illogical.
    also, ninaabbey,

(Original post by ninaabbey)
    actually, alot of us people who go to state schools enjoy it. there will be some people who are jealous, i don't doubt that at all, but the majority either just don't care either way because we still get a good education. i guess some people just find it unfair that to have the best you need to pay excess amounts of money. and the idea of 'cutting out' makes me assume that you're a bit of a snob that have a 'them' and 'us'.
    it appears to me that you have just contradicted yourself. you quite clearly have an 'us' and 'them'..does that make you a snob? i dont believe that i have make a clear differentitaion between 'us' and 'them' in my posts. if thats what you have taken from it, sorry. i have experienced both, so if i was being at all derogatory by using 'us ' and 'them', it doesnt make sense as i have been both! in reality, when someone is talking it has to be an us and them to show who is who, but its not meant in a bad way. youve used it too. and i am by no means a 'snob' far from it. to be honest, i found that comment quite hurtful, as i really dont think anyone who knows me would call me a snob.

in my opinon, private schools have both pros and cons, but give a better all rounded education and leave students more easily able to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Ollie~)
    I repeat, I am not 'jealous', I am just opposed to the idea that something as significant as the quality of your education should be decided by your wealth.
    You know, I agree with you 100%, I really do. But you could say that about BUPA vs the NHS. I was always adverse to BUPA thinking that wealth should not be able to buy you health. But when you are in the situation where you are quite ill (as I was) and BUPA is the more viable option than an x month waiting list, you soon change your mind I can tell you!

The principal in theory is fantastic and to be commended, but when we leave education whether that be university or school, its the qualifications and experience that get you the jobs. I know personality comes into it too, but you have to have the both.

Its competitive and if you are offered a chance, you take it as they dont come along very often; which is why I moved from a bad comprenhensive school to a good private one. (as above mentioned)

ReputationRep:
    i went to an all girls school. i really enjoyed it, but the lesbian tag hasnt quite left me yet now im at an all girls college :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura0310)
    and i am by no means a 'snob' far from it. to be honest, i found that comment quite hurtful, as i really dont think anyone who knows me would call me a snob.
    Even if you were a snob, its no worse than the reverse snobbery that most people on this forum suffer from. You are a much worse person if you look down on state schoolers, than if you insult and abuse private schoolers.

ReputationRep:
    I went to public school, loved it. Not only were they a good academic school, but they also taught you vocational subjects on the side such as vehicle engineering and sound engineering, which is now my job. Also, we did MUCH more sport than my previous state school, over 8 hours a week and i loved it, you can never get a teenage boy playing too much sport, it relives stress and testosteone whilst keeping you fit and breaking many bones in rugby! haha!

My private school instilled a good work ethic in me, set me up for life and gave me life skills.

Now my brother went to the same school, but didn't embrace it as much as i did, sure he came out with good grades and is studying Law but at the same time, the magic didn't work on him as much as me and he was there all the way through his secondary school life.

So, I think it depends more on the person than the school, but the school is at an advantage due to lower numbers and more freedom to do what they want to do.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarCAZm)
    You are a much worse person if you look down on state schoolers, than if you insult and abuse private schoolers.
    To be fair, I dont think either of those are acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    also, ninaabbey,

it appears to me that you have just contradicted yourself. you quite clearly have an 'us' and 'them'..does that make you a snob? i dont believe that i have make a clear differentitaion between 'us' and 'them' in my posts. if thats what you have taken from it, sorry. i have experienced both, so if i was being at all derogatory by using 'us ' and 'them', it doesnt make sense as i have been both! in reality, when someone is talking it has to be an us and them to show who is who, but its not meant in a bad way. youve used it too. and i am by no means a 'snob' far from it. to be honest, i found that comment quite hurtful, as i really dont think anyone who knows me would call me a snob.
    lol, so i have

i didn't mean you'd used that term specifically, i meant it as in "cutting out"

ReputationRep:
    Even if you were a snob, its no worse than the reverse snobbery that most people on this forum suffer from. You are a much worse person if you look down on state schoolers, than if you insult and abuse private schoolers.
    very true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    To be fair, I dont think either of those are acceptable.
    yar. but the latter is far more socially acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninaabbey)
    lol, so i have

i didn't mean you'd used that term specifically, i meant it as in "cutting out"
    oh, ok. but to be honest, if yo uare that good, there are bursaries, scholarships etc.

ReputationRep:
    yar. but the latter is far more socially acceptable.
    Maybe so, and this is a completely different debate but judgement due to: class, going to private or state school is just as bad in either direction. Stereotyping because of these factors is not only unfair but uncorroborated in many cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcblingbling)
    I disagree. how can going to a private school be in anyway realistic to 'the outside world'. you dont get to meet a diverse range of people from different social backgrounds.
    I just dont see the point of spending thousands of pounds on education when it should be and is free in other schools and get good qualifications at the end!
    I couldn't disagree more. Just because parents can afford to send their children to private schools does not mean they cannot come from a diverse range of social backgrounds.

At my school there are people from all sorts of social backgrounds, who come from all over the world, including Palestine, Japan, India, Gibraltar, to name a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskedrider)
    I couldn't disagree more. Just because parents can afford to send their children to private schools does not mean they cannot come from a diverse range of social backgrounds.

At my school there are people from all sorts of social backgrounds, who come from all over the world, including Palestine, Japan, India, Gibraltar, to name a few.
    Agreed, at my public school we had, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Nigerian, Kenyan, Saudi, Iranian, French, Spainish, American, Canadian, German and some Scots ()

It was amazing, so many cultures! We used to have like food nights/culture nights where we would exlore different cultures through the various subjects, the arts, english/language lessons etc. Was brill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcblingbling)
    I disagree. how can going to a private school be in anyway realistic to 'the outside world'. you dont get to meet a diverse range of people from different social backgrounds.
    It's not any more diverse. You mix with people from whatever area you happen to live in. If it's a class thing - so what? People tend to mix with others from their own social classes in the 'outside world' anyway.

I'd actually say the private schools I went to were far more diverse, plenty of people from different parts of the UK and the world. The state schools I attended seemed distinctly countyish, full of people with very similar and sheltered ideas about things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskedrider)

This "real world" idea and private school students lacking in it, is often bandied around. What could be described at the "real world" is a difficult one in itself. However I do have to say, my private school friends have much less of an idea of how much things cost than friends at state. At the risk of generalising, but then again its personal experience, "staters" seem to be more "streetwise". Many have said to me that they are worried about how different university is going to be. But that may simply be because the school Im at, is very small and all girls. The demographic obviously depends on your location and the schools in question too.

ReputationRep:
    oh, ok. but to be honest, if yo uare that good, there are bursaries, scholarships etc.
    i agree, these are very good and helpful for a lot of people. but there are people in private school (as in any school) that are so god-damned stupid. so it doesn't even out, that stupid people with money can go, but only the real smart people can go without the cash to pay for it. if you get what i mean. if private schools care that mich about having the cream of the crop, then shouldn't money be no object and the idiots who don't care or aren't academic be thrown out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    This "real world" idea and private school students lacking in it, is often bandied around. What could be described at the "real world" is a difficult one in itself. However I do have to say, my private school friends have much less of an idea of how much things cost than friends at state. At the risk of generalising, but then again its personal experience, "staters" seem to be more "streetwise". Many have said to me that they are worried about how different university is going to be. But that may simply be because the school Im at, is very small and all girls. The demographic obviously depends on your location and the schools in question too.
    I do see where you are coming from, and definitely it is a matter of location, it just happens in my school I'd say most people are just as equally street wise as the people from the local state schools. Then again, whilst I don't mean to stereotype, I'm guessing far fewer Etonians are equally streetwise.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.