Private School Watch

ninaabbey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
It's not any more diverse. You mix with people from whatever area you happen to live in. If it's a class thing - so what? People tend to mix with others from their own social classes in the 'outside world' anyway.

I'd actually say the private schools I went to were far more diverse, plenty of people from different parts of the UK and the world. The state schools I attended seemed distinctly countyish, full of people with very similar and sheltered ideas about things.
i'd say it was the opposite way around. people in private/public school -no matter where you come from - all have things in common. you all have the money to pay for education and come from the same sort of background and upbringing and will have a very sheltered life. whereas in a state school everything is a lot more diverse, with people coming from rich background, other from poor, some people who live in council houses, others that own their own. some people who are focused on their studies, others who are not, the mother tongues can be different as well, and the home country.

of course, that's just my opinion.
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i got sent to a private school after state primary school, and i'm grateful for the fact my parents did it, cos i like it overall, but i wouldn't send my children to one (at least not the way i feel about it now), mainly because when so many people in the world have no education, i don't see why others should be set apart.
the thing that irritates me most is that there are some people who are at my school basically because their parents are filthy rich, yet the kids don't work at all.
i'd have been happy at a state school but i don#t like the stigma that's sometimes attached to me for going to private school. i'm not a snob (and i'd hate to be perceived as one) and i work damned hard to make the most of it.
at the end of the day, i don't think the standard of education varies very much, but the people do, and, in a lot of cases that's not a positive thing, because there are some spoilt morons. but i appreciate my parents choice.
youresocutewhenyouscream
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been to the same private school since I was 8 years old, and I love it to be honest.
What someone said earlier - about a lack of clubs, teams, etc... does not apply at all to my school. We do a ridiculous amount of charity work, our dance team is the best in the country (No clue how though) and academically, are pretty good.
Although, we do do the IB program/AP, so my school is very dissimilar to a british school.

I must agree though - most of the kids in my school, myself included, are very disillusioned about the real world. Most of the people in my school are Oil children, diplomat children, footballer kids, or (I'm not kidding here) princes - we have two princes here. The entire area down here is richly american, and very snobby.
m8nmina0h4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ninaabbey)
i'd say it was the opposite way around. people in private/public school -no matter where you come from - all have things in common. you all have the money to pay for education and come from the same sort of background and upbringing and will have a very sheltered life. whereas in a state school everything is a lot more diverse, with people coming from rich background, other from poor, some people who live in council houses, others that own their own. some people who are focused on their studies, others who are not, the mother tongues can be different as well, and the home country.

of course, that's just my opinion.
Your post is complete rubbish. Not all people who go to private schools come from "the same sort of background and upbringing" and have "a sheltered life". What about those parents who hard and extra to be able to send their children to a private school, sacrificing certain luxuries that even those who go to state schools have.

You're also assuming that private schools are not diverse? Well let me make it clear, even at private schools (I go to one) there are people who come from rich backgrounds, other from poor, some who live in council houses (I'll admit that is a minority).

Believe it or not, at private schools there are even some people who aren't focused on their studies, some who have different mother tongues, and some who have a different home country.
talespirit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenifaar)
i got sent to a private school after state primary school, and i'm grateful for the fact my parents did it, cos i like it overall, but i wouldn't send my children to one (at least not the way i feel about it now), mainly because when so many people in the world have no education, i don't see why others should be set apart.
the thing that irritates me most is that there are some people who are at my school basically because their parents are filthy rich, yet the kids don't work at all.
i'd have been happy at a state school but i don#t like the stigma that's sometimes attached to me for going to private school. i'm not a snob (and i'd hate to be perceived as one) and i work damned hard to make the most of it.at the end of the day, i don't think the standard of education varies very much, but the people do, and, in a lot of cases that's not a positive thing, because there are some spoilt morons. but i appreciate my parents choice.
Agree with the above in bold completely....my parents made a big investment so i worked hard to make the most of it. However, i'd rather not be anywhere else as the difference between standard where i live is really big between state/private here in Thailand. (also all international schools are private, so if i want a chance at world class uni, international school is the best way). There's only like one state school which is the best in the country (private schools included), and it is really competitve to get in, and most graduates enter the country's no.1 university.
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by youresocutewhenyouscream)
I've been to the same private school since I was 8 years old, and I love it to be honest.
What someone said earlier - about a lack of clubs, teams, etc... does not apply at all to my school. We do a ridiculous amount of charity work, our dance team is the best in the country (No clue how though) and academically, are pretty good.
Although, we do do the IB program/AP, so my school is very dissimilar to a british school.

I must agree though - most of the kids in my school, myself included, are very disillusioned about the real world. Most of the people in my school are Oil children, diplomat children, footballer kids, or (I'm not kidding here) princes - we have two princes here. The entire area down here is richly american, and very snobby.
Yeah I totally agree with that, my school has many teams and offer all sorts of sports and other activities. One of my classmates is ranked the number one under 16 tennis player in the country. Another plays hockey for England. Another swims for England. But not just sports, more than one member of our school is in the England bridge team (yes there is a bridge team!), several others represent the school in maths competitions, not only that but many other sports, physical and mental including rugby, cross country, chess, latin speaking..

There are always a few who are disillusioned about the real world, but I wouldn't say that is true for a majority of the people at my school. Whilst we don't have any princes at my school (any chance of telling us which princes by the way?) there are diplomats children and footballers children.
relay130591
Report 10 years ago
im at a private school which is part of the girls day school trust. although in 2 years its being turned into an academy instead. although a lot of the poeple there think there better than everyone else theres still quite a few who realise there more to life than what daddy brings in lol. a lot of the girl;s form my skool are in england uner 18 hockey and lacrose teams and one has moved form out school as she got accepted into a special institute for hockey. i love my school to be honest. and its not what everyone expects it to be alot of the people are happy and do well...doesnt happen alot but still does lol., sadly i myself have been in some maths competitions .... VERY BORING lol
youresocutewhenyouscream
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by maskedrider)
Yeah I totally agree with that, my school has many teams and offer all sorts of sports and other activities. One of my classmates is ranked the number one under 16 tennis player in the country. Another plays hockey for England. Another swims for England. But not just sports, more than one member of our school is in the England bridge team (yes there is a bridge team!), several others represent the school in maths competitions, not only that but many other sports, physical and mental including rugby, cross country, chess, latin speaking..

There are always a few who are disillusioned about the real world, but I wouldn't say that is true for a majority of the people at my school. Whilst we don't have any princes at my school (any chance of telling us which princes by the way?) there are diplomats children and footballers children.
Yeah, we're mostly oil kids, whose companies pay for the education.
Only a few of us actually pay fees, which are /ridiculous/.
Oh my, your school sounds awesome for sports xD. We've had one guy go for U-18's rugby for england, but that's... about it.

It's more like the entire area is just one big 'bubble' of isolation.

Er, I /think/ they're Saudi or Kuwaiti princes. Not direct princes, but royalty nonetheless. As well as someone to do with Harrod's, xD.
lauuuura
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ninaabbey)
i agree, these are very good and helpful for a lot of people. but there are people in private school (as in any school) that are so god-damned stupid. so it doesn't even out, that stupid people with money can go, but only the real smart people can go without the cash to pay for it. if you get what i mean. if private schools care that mich about having the cream of the crop, then shouldn't money be no object and the idiots who don't care or aren't academic be thrown out.
i agree. personlly i am not at a 'top' private school, so most of the people are at my school because they are clever, not because of the money. at my shcool, you CANNOT get in just because of your wealth/ it is about academic achievemwnt. however, at our school, we have people who alomost get automatic entry from the junior school and arent normally as clever.

as for the diversity thing, ours is very diverse, as much as you would get in a state school or more. people go further to attend public shcool and therfore there tends to be a more diverse range of people - we have people from london, some from the counrty and we are only a day school. there are rich, poor, very rich, very poor, black, white, english, chinese, greek, american, french, spanish, tal short, etc!!! the only thing is we are all of a similar ability which may make it different to state. but then again, there is such a difference between state schools - some are better academically than some private, and some are really appaling. it all depends.
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by youresocutewhenyouscream)
Yeah, we're mostly oil kids, whose companies pay for the education.
Only a few of us actually pay fees, which are /ridiculous/.
Oh my, your school sounds awesome for sports xD. We've had one guy go for U-18's rugby for england, but that's... about it.

It's more like the entire area is just one big 'bubble' of isolation.

Er, I /think/ they're Saudi or Kuwaiti princes. Not direct princes, but royalty nonetheless. As well as someone to do with Harrod's, xD.
To be honest at mine I think most of do pay the fees.. some people are given scholarships on exceptional academic performance and also music/art/sport scholarships but the majority pay.

Saudi princes.. wow! We don't have anyone like that (as far as I know), the closest to that is a VERY high up Palestinian politician.

I know it's slightly snobbish, but I do really like the idea of brushing shoulders with some people who will go on to be famous when they're older!
youresocutewhenyouscream
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by maskedrider)
To be honest at mine I think most of do pay the fees.. some people are given scholarships on exceptional academic performance and also music/art/sport scholarships but the majority pay.

Saudi princes.. wow! We don't have anyone like that (as far as I know), the closest to that is a VERY high up Palestinian politician.

I know it's slightly snobbish, but I do really like the idea of brushing shoulders with some people who will go on to be famous when they're older!
Hahah! I've not talked to them personally, but they're arrogant little... ahems who walk around with Prada backpacks, flashing their designer goods.
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KnightRider)
Your post is complete rubbish. Not all people who go to private schools come from "the same sort of background and upbringing" and have "a sheltered life". What about those parents who hard and extra to be able to send their children to a private school, sacrificing certain luxuries that even those who go to state schools have.

You're also assuming that private schools are not diverse? Well let me make it clear, even at private schools (I go to one) there are people who come from rich backgrounds, other from poor, some who live in council houses (I'll admit that is a minority).

Believe it or not, at private schools there are even some people who aren't focused on their studies, some who have different mother tongues, and some who have a different home country.
i said in my opinion, i didn't say it was set in stone.

and okay, private/public schools maybe just as diverse as state, but no more. and i somehow doubt that in every private and public school in the country there is someone who comes from a poorer background or even lives in a council estate. i guess in some there could be, like from the scholoship kids. whereas with state schools, i doubt there is one in the country that doesn't have at least 1 council house kid.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *River)
I did, received a brilliant education but wasn't such a fan of the fact that I had to board from the age of 11.
Meh but learning the law of consequences - and the fact that there arn't always people to get your ass out of problems (in a relatively safe enviroment) was a very important lesson. Some might argue its a twee harsh for a 12 yr old, but its done me no end of good.
MediterraneanX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did, did fairly well there but thats mainly off my own back as I never turned up. Made my best friends there but the system wasn't for me, it was a pretty ***** private school aswell. I went state school for sixth form, loved it and did fairly well but again off my own back, but now truly miss my old school aswell and all its memories.
Report 10 years ago
Public School give you an experience that sets you up for life.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes I went to a private and it was good, don't have anything to compare it to but I had a great time there and made friends for life.
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by diamondgeezer)
there is litte differences between a public and private. a public is older and more respected, but i guess the fees must be higher at a public. so wouldn't the experiences that anyone get be near enough the same for anyone from ant school? despite what school you go to, we all pass and fail, we all grow up and go through the same stuff -sort of.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by diamondgeezer)
How?
davedave4619
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KnightRider)
Loughborough Grammar School

Apparently the longest running only boys school in the world..
Ermysted's Grammar School was founded 3 years earlier in 1492. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermysted%27s
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by davedave4619)
Ermysted's Grammar School was founded 3 years earlier in 1492. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermysted%27s
Sorry I meant oldest, private, boys only school.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?