Private School Watch

Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ninaabbey)
there is litte differences between a public and private. a public is older and more respected, but i guess the fees must be higher at a public. so wouldn't the experiences that anyone get be near enough the same for anyone from ant school? despite what school you go to, we all pass and fail, we all grow up and go through the same stuff -sort of.
It's all the extra-curricular activities and trips that public schools offer, and the discpline and teaching methods seem to be more traditionally.

It seems to me that public schools students are given more help with university applications or problems than what my friends have experienced at other comprehensive schools.

And yes I agree with the post about public schools being more diverse. There is often students from all around the world. It promotes tolerance imo.
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)
Meh but learning the law of consequences - and the fact that there arn't always people to get your ass out of problems (in a relatively safe enviroment) was a very important lesson. Some might argue its a twee harsh for a 12 yr old, but its done me no end of good.
I don't doubt the fact that I learnt an awful lot very quickly, but I wasn't ready to leave home yet, although some of my classmates definitely were. Absolutely loved it in my last year though, university's been a bit of a let-down to be honest!
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *River)
I don't doubt the fact that I learnt an awful lot very quickly, but I wasn't ready to leave home yet, although some of my classmates definitely were. Absolutely loved it in my last year though, university's been a bit of a let-down to be honest!
The poeple who really arn't ready are the ones that get popped of to pre-preps at 7, thankies I wasn't one of them .
*River
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)
The poeple who really arn't ready are the ones that get popped of to pre-preps at 7, thankies I wasn't one of them .
Definitely, the ones in my year who'd been boarding since 7 swore it had scarred them for life! 7's so little... my youngest sister's 7 and I can't imagine her being old enough to take care of herself at school just yet.
BBTOTW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do, and I love it I've been to private school since I was 4, so can't really tell you the difference...
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BBTOTW)
I do, and I love it I've been to private school since I was 4, so can't really tell you the difference...
Out of interest what were your 13 GCSEs in? As at my (private) school most only do 9, some 10 if they do a full course in ICT. This is because they insist we only do more academic and traditional subjects and don't offer anything relatively vocational. Is this the same with most private schools?
BBTOTW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KnightRider)
Out of interest what were your 13 GCSEs in? As at my (private) school most only do 9, some 10 if they do a full course in ICT. This is because they insist we only do more academic and traditional subjects and don't offer anything relatively vocational. Is this the same with most private schools?
English, English lit, maths, triple science, PE, French, Latin, history, music, Japanese. Our school's really flexible, we don't have blocks or anything so we just choose the subjects we want and they'll somehow fit it all in! PE, French, Eng, Eng lit, maths and double science was compulsury though...
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BBTOTW)
English, English lit, maths, triple science, PE, French, Latin, history, music, Japanese. Our school's really flexible, we don't have blocks or anything so we just choose the subjects we want and they'll somehow fit it all in! PE, French, Eng, Eng lit, maths and double science was compulsury though...
Oh right fair enough, we are offered all of them apart from PE for GCSE (but are for AS) and Japanese I don't think they offer as well.
hermaphrodite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by QuantumParity)
The guys from Eton who are now at Oxford are the worst ****e people I've ever met. They hardly work and mock everyone else for not being as wealthy as themselves.
I'd love to meet them in real life. I've only met one Etonian and he didn't even offer to buy me a drink the tight *******
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by diamondgeezer)
It's all the extra-curricular activities and trips that public schools offer, and the discpline and teaching methods seem to be more traditionally.

It seems to me that public schools students are given more help with university applications or problems than what my friends have experienced at other comprehensive schools.

And yes I agree with the post about public schools being more diverse. There is often students from all around the world. It promotes tolerance imo.

lol, i have a picture in my head of a teacher throwing a board rubber across the classroom at a kid i remember seeing a public school in a trip when i was in london (never again, i now know to avoid that place like the plague) and they seemed very old fashioned. i think our teacher said it was Eton or some name beginning with 'e' anyway.
Vesta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by maidmarion)
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it was once known that teachers in private schools didn't have the qualifications that were needed to teach in state schools and didn't need to be qualified (or as qualified?) to teach in private education. So infact your teachers in state schools are more highly qualified :-D Could be wrong but it's just something I once heard.
erm... private schools tend to be more selective with the teachers who they hire. since the bulk (if not all) of private schools pay more than state schools do, they get more demand for the jobs, hence can be more selective with whom they hire. besides, realistically speaking, the teachers that apply to work in private schools all have teaching qualifications
m8nmina0h4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vesta)
erm... private schools tend to be more selective with the teachers who they hire. since the bulk (if not all) of private schools pay more than state schools do, they get more demand for the jobs, hence can be more selective with whom they hire. besides, realistically speaking, the teachers that apply to work in private schools all have teaching qualifications
To be fair, my school despite being over 500 years old is definitely not selective enough. Despite the thousands we pay a year there are always a few teachers who are terrible and I learn literally 0 in their lessons. I seem to have had the misfortune of having two of the worst teachers ever at the school, one who ended up having an emotional breakdown of some sort and leaving, and another who basically relies on the revision guide to teach, this particular teacher who I've had to put up for the past 2 years for GCSES, finally only a few more weeks to go!
DeadSniffles
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol, i have a picture in my head of a teacher throwing a board rubber across the classroom at a kid i remember seeing a public school in a trip when i was in london (never again, i now know to avoid that place like the plague) and they seemed very old fashioned. i think our teacher said it was Eton or some name beginning with 'e' anyway.
lol eton isn't in london.
buttons_andbeads
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hermaphrodite)
I'd love to meet them in real life. I've only met one Etonian and he didn't even offer to buy me a drink the tight *******
I had the same experience, he did buy me drink, after he asked what school I went to and discovered it was a fairly respectable private school he had heard of :p:
He asked for my number at the end of the night but never called, surprise surprise!
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by :D QPRlover :D)
lol eton isn't in london.
well it was some public school beginning with 'e'...and that's all i could think of. you sort of learn to switch off when you're stuck in the most boring place ever. - but it could have been them, they may have also been on a trip to parliment
Vesta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KnightRider)
To be fair, my school despite being over 500 years old is definitely not selective enough. Despite the thousands we pay a year there are always a few teachers who are terrible and I learn literally 0 in their lessons. I seem to have had the misfortune of having two of the worst teachers ever at the school, one who ended up having an emotional breakdown of some sort and leaving, and another who basically relies on the revision guide to teach, this particular teacher who I've had to put up for the past 2 years for GCSES, finally only a few more weeks to go!
fair enough, even private schools get a few terrible teachers. i concur, during my gcses i had a couple of really awful ones. thank god for revision guides, and now luckily my a-level ones are all brilliant
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
I've been at state schools all my life - i've turned out okay lol=]
I do think though, that there seems to be a certain stigma attached (at least at my school) to actually wanting to study/do well/succeed - even from teachers! Plus the class sizes were huge in the compulsary years (7-11) and many kids were disruptive. If you're determined though, state school offers a reasonable education.
lol, our AS classes were huge, there was 42 kids in our language class at the start of the year - there is now 14. all the classes started to shrink when people starting quiting or getting kicked out.
Meep!
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I went to a private, or rather a 'Public' (to term it correctly) school.

I loved every moment of it, it was so nice. The teachers were great, and it just seemed a lot more personal than state senior schools have always looked to me.

Also, I went to a tiny village primary school, at which I was picked on by the other 6 people in my year for sounding posh. That stopped when I went on to a Public school.
Teccy
Report 10 years ago
lol, our AS classes were huge, there was 42 kids in our language class at the start of the year - there is now 14. all the classes started to shrink when people starting quiting or getting kicked out.
42?!- Is that even legal- I thought the max class size is/was 30.
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Teccy)
42?!- Is that even legal- I thought the max class size is/was 30.
lol, i don't know. i know the maths class was 56, to teach they all had to go in the main hall :rolleyes: but then everybody quitted and got kicked out etc. and i hear that they split the class up into 2 classes before ofstead came
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (48)
29.45%
No - I got the required grades (95)
58.28%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.27%

Watched Threads