Turn on thread page Beta

Private School watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i never went to private school, my parents couldnt afford it, a big part of me however wishes i had, my comprehensive was very hit and miss, some wanted to work but a lot of people didnt and it definatly affected my results in mixed ability sets. having said that i dont know anyone who has ever been to private school and i feel better rounded socially having gone state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gee_shakedown)
    Does anyone / did anyone attend private school
    & what did you think of it?
    Yes.

Many excellent teachers, some not so good. Lots of support from staff, felt a good sense of belonging, good sports facilities, good library, good uni application help, nice ICT stuff. Small class sizes and nice school food. I thought it was a very good school, lucky to have been there.

And no it wasn't snobby, nor was everyone mega rich/spoilt.

Many of my friends' parents worked very hard and paid for their education rather than fund a more materialistic lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at med school where most people seem to be from private schools- i find them to be annoyingly perfectly spoken + dressed and have they have an arrogance/confidence that state school kids simply don't. They're also very careful with their opinions- in a state school you learn to just say/do whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    I always wish that I'd been to private school. Theres a really nice mixed one down the road that is one of the best in the country and I've always been a bit jealous of the pupils.
    I know if I'd been pushed a bit harder, been less distracted by some of the nutters in my school then I could have got better grades.
    Still, the fees were £15,000 a year or something rediculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninaabbey)
    i'd say it was the opposite way around. people in private/public school -no matter where you come from - all have things in common. you all have the money to pay for education and come from the same sort of background and upbringing and will have a very sheltered life. whereas in a state school everything is a lot more diverse, with people coming from rich background, other from poor, some people who live in council houses, others that own their own. some people who are focused on their studies, others who are not, the mother tongues can be different as well, and the home country.

of course, that's just my opinion.
    And what exactly helped you to form this opinion? Assumptions or fact? Having been privately educated my entire life, I can confidently say that you're talking complete and utter ****e.

First of all, you don't strictly have to pay to go to private schools. Private schools are charitable organisations and offer bursaries and scholarships to bright students - usually those who cannot afford the fees. The last school I went to was a mixed and selective day school in Edinburgh, which this year had the 3rd highest SQA grades in Scotland. Out of the 1,600 pupils there, around 200 received scholarships or bursaries. So, no, private school students don't "all have the money". A great deal actually went to state school for the first half (or more) of their education anyway. As for foreigners, there were usually more than a handful in each year. A good friend of mine is Romanian and could barely speak a word of English when he moved here. Incidentally he won a bursary to my school. The only person I can think of with a phenomenally rich parent is J.K. Rowling's daughter.

Whether your parents are able to pay for your education or not does not really say anything about your class or background. Some parents will sacrifice a great deal in order to send their child[ren] to private school, so outside their education the quality of life is not necessarily high. As for myself - my dad didn't find it particularly difficult paying the £9,000 a year, but just because he earns a fair amount, it doesn't mean that he's from a middle class background. Neither of my parents have been to university, both went to some of the worst schools in Scotland and both have lived in council houses for quite a large section of their life. And on each side of my family, you'd struggle to find anyone considered "posh". My great grandad on my mother's side of the family was an Irish immigrant who made a name for himself street fighting in Dundee - not exactly the an "old boy". Even today, none of my uncles, aunts or grandparents could really be considered middle class. My parents do not consider themselves middle class. They just wanted me to have a good education and were able to pay for it, and I do appreciate that. I'm not entirely sure what you even mean by "sheltered" anyway? You spend six hours of your day at school, the rest in the "real world" if you wish to call it that. I don't really feel I've been mollycoddled.

I don't particularly care whether you support private education or not, but your view is clearly one of sheer ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons_andbeads)
    I had the same experience, he did buy me drink, after he asked what school I went to and discovered it was a fairly respectable private school he had heard of :p:
    He asked for my number at the end of the night but never called, surprise surprise!
    I went to a Comp. But I think that was besides the point . . . . .do Etonians go out with or speak to non-caucasians I wonder

ReputationRep:
    to what extent is the stereotype that private school kids look down on state school kids true- opinions? (not enough of a question to start a new tread)...i wonder if anyone here will even admit it exists....

ReputationRep:
    I went to state school, and honestly think If Id gone to a private school id have done a lot better in terms of pushing me into doing things because I was astonishingly lazy, and have required on winging it and natural academic ability to get me in my quite good position now. I think private schools are a fantastic idea and dont get the silly "you dont get to meet different types of people argument" there is life after and outside of schools, and some of the people it would be preferable not to meet at al.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Bluelight]I was astonishingly lazy, and have required on winging it and natural academic ability to get me in my quite good position now. [QUOTE]
    Isn't 'academic ability' usually a requirement in any academic establishment?
    Isn't that preferable to relying on money to get you in a good position?

ReputationRep:
    there is litte differences between a public and private. a public is older and more respected, but i guess the fees must be higher at a public. so wouldn't the experiences that anyone get be near enough the same for anyone from ant school? despite what school you go to, we all pass and fail, we all grow up and go through the same stuff -sort of.
    There is no difference between public and private, they are one and the same.

Just public schools are independently funded in the UK and private schools are independently funded in the US.

Private school is an Americanism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teccy)
    to what extent is the stereotype that private school kids look down on state school kids true- opinions? (not enough of a question to start a new tread)...i wonder if anyone here will even admit it exists....
    well obviously some do (accountable in my school for one) but many others don't.

ReputationRep:
    I've been at a private school since I was 4. Even though neither my primary nor secondary school have been amazing, they've been far better than the rather dire state alternatives. (I'm not saying all state schools are bad, its just the ones in my area)
    State primaries in my area: classes of 30 or more (i have friends who went to them)
    my primary school: i never had more than 18 in my class
    state secondaries in my area: again, larger classes & in the one nearest to me a yr8 boy murdered a man standing at the bus stop. from what ive heard from friends, people who aren't too bothered about their education and contiunally disrupt classes. i see some of the kids on the bus on my way to & from school, they are always shrieking. probally think of private school kids as posh
    my current school: classes of no more than 17, no murderers, mostly people who appreciate their education and pay attention in class, are well mannered on busses & most importantly hate being labelled posh & have many friends in state schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    There is no difference between public and private, they are one and the same.

Just public schools are independently funded in the UK and private schools are independently funded in the US.

Private school is an Americanism.
    actually in england we have private schools, public schools and state schools. state schools are funded from the gov. and so are free. private schools are independent schools that you pay to go to, and public schools are extremely old private schools that you usually have to pay an arm and a leg to get into such as Eton.

ReputationRep:
    actually in england we have private schools, public schools and state schools. state schools are funded from the gov. and so are free. private schools are independent schools that you pay to go to, and public schools are extremely old private schools that you usually have to pay an arm and a leg to get into such as Eton.

I find myself constantly amused at Eton popping up in these threads, each time with some one not fully informed.

Eton offers possibly the best scholarships and bursaries that you can get. The boys who go there can get up to 100% scholarship if they are seen to be an asset to the school, or some get a hefty bursary which means they pay very little over the course of their education.

edit: to further my point http://www.familiesonline.co.uk/article/static/356/

Further back the myth about "eton boys at oxford mocking people who aren't rich". I must say, either this is completely fabricated, taken out of context or you've met some awful etonians.

ReputationRep:
    People have different definitions in the UK about private schools and public schools. What they have in common is that they are fee-paying and independent: which you will actually find is the correct term nowadays even if others do opt out of using it. Many recon that for a school to be a public school then it has to be part of the HM conference. However I know many schools, boarding and day, which are no different from other "so-called" public schools, and there is no difference between private schools and "public school" students. So I find it really silly when at time, students put down other and schools by saying, "it's not a public school" big hoo ha!

I find that if one has been privately educated for their duration of their school days, but have family and parents from a working class background, the child privately educated will speak differently from their parents.

ReputationRep:
    £130,000!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by findingfantasy)
    I find myself constantly amused at Eton popping up in these threads, each time with some one not fully informed.

Eton offers possibly the best scholarships and bursaries that you can get. The boys who go there can get up to 100% scholarship if they are seen to be an asset to the school, or some get a hefty bursary which means they pay very little over the course of their education.

edit: to further my point http://www.familiesonline.co.uk/article/static/356/

Further back the myth about "eton boys at oxford mocking people who aren't rich". I must say, either this is completely fabricated, taken out of context or you've met some awful etonians.
    didn't say that every kid in eton was rich and that you can't get burserys etc. i was just using it as an example of a public school because i don't know any others :P

ReputationRep:
    My school was a public school, it was nowhere near on the same par as Eton, HM was the patron but that does not make it a public school. Public and private are the same, it is only snobbery which makes them different!

My public school is only 150 years old, which for a private/public school is quite young...

It is the Royal Merchant Navy School (aka Bearwood College) if you are interested. Really not a flagship independent school!!

ReputationRep:
    Hated it at the time- the sporty attitude of a boarding school where half the pupils played for the Scotland under 19s teams for some sport or another, btu looking back, it was agreat experience. Not so much the being private, I didn't care about that, but the boarding. You got to know people so well. And my fees were paid by my dad's employer- so fees! yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    My school was a public school, it was nowhere near on the same par as Eton, HM was the patron but that does not make it a public school. Public and private are the same, it is only snobbery which makes them different!

My public school is only 150 years old, which for a private/public school is quite young...

It is the Royal Merchant Navy School (aka Bearwood College) if you are interested. Really not a flagship independent school!!
    hey, i'm in no position to say, this is just my knowledge from GCSE sociology all i knew was that they were different and the reasons were x, y and z

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.