When the F did British people start calling secondary school “high school”?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
69Tekashi69
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This aint America nor is it high school musical, save by the bell, hannah montana or anything else of that nature.. its bad enough that people are now calling chips “fries”..cut it out!
Willeyeam2017
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
😂😂 it's been high school for 10- 20 year
anonymous69gcse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
since i was in kindergarten
itsyahg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol we don't call it high school. we still call it secondary school
NoPunInThisName
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've always called it High School.

Get over yourself.
anonymous69gcse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i wish i could go back to kindergarten and relive my life
FryOfTheMann
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All of the people I know refer to it as "Secondary". Haven't heard anyone call it high school (in person).
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I school near me used to be called _ _ _ _ _ _ high school (not revealing where I live lmao)
Milk Tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I call it high school because secondary school sounds ugly
nbhjbmnjn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well my 'secondary school' had high school in the name... just like every other 'secondary school' in my area.

I started HIGH SCHOOL in the UK over 9 years ago and i've never heard anyone call it secondary school except my nan.
doramas
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cafebee)
I call it high school because secondary school sounds ugly
'cacophony' is the correct term
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We need a poll for this. Quite a few schools do have "high school" in their name but I've still never heard anyone call it such.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Secondary makes it sound second rate. All the high schools near me that reference the type of school they are (some will just be called [name] school) say [name] high school and none say [name] secondary school.
Anoodle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My school was called ____ high school. Its just the name of the school. Its on all boards and uniforms. Been like that for years.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 69Tekashi69)
This aint America nor is it high school musical, save by the bell, hannah montana or anything else of that nature.. its bad enough that people are now calling chips “fries”..cut it out!
High schools are common in Scotland (where they have a different education system)and the North of England.

There are basically no high schools where I live.
username1230881
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My school was literally called "____ High School" for most of its existence, until it became an academy in the early 2010s.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 69Tekashi69)
Every high school in my area has "high school" in the name - and these were founded during the 1800s too
Willeyeam2017
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah like harrogate high school
Anoodle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Volibear)
The only people I know who say 'High School' are from up North.
My “high school” is in the south east
clouddbubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i call it high school because it’s called high school, as in ‘ (insert name of school here) high school ‘

nothing to do with americans. not a fan of americanised things anyway. simply because it’s the name of my SCHOOL
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (249)
33.97%
No (484)
66.03%

Watched Threads