AQA Mathematics Paper 1 (18th May 2018/ New Spec) Watch

Unknown78692
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Has anyone sat the AQA Mathematics Paper?
If so How did you find it?
Can anyone find the Unofficial Mark scheme?
12aissid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought it could have been worse but wasn’t amazing either. I got through half the exam and realised I only had 30 minutes left and had rush the rest of it so I need to work on my timings for the next one. I found the mechanics section wasn’t as bad as my trial exam. I attempted all of the questions apart from a couple of the sentence based one markers (although I didn’t actually get to the answer for all of them). So I got a D in my trial exam so hopefully I got C or above in this one since I felt this exam went a lot better than the trial where I missed out so many questions. Hopefully I will pick up a bunch of method marks. I remember the first question on the paper that really stumped me which was the prove a prime number bigger than 5 always end in 1 when to put it to the power of 4. How did it go for you?
Funksy64
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thought the exam was ok. I messed up on a few questions and made a few silly mistakes but I think I can still get an A. I got 70 and 73 on each of the practice paper set 1 mocks which I found easier than this exam. People in my sixth form said the exam was really hard and I think grade boundaries will be quite low since its the first year to have this spec.
Unknown78692
Rep:
?
Funksy 62 I hope you get an A.

How did you manage to get 70/73?
Any revision tips or techniques? Please,
Unknown78692
Rep:
?
(Original post by 12aissid)
I thought it could have been worse but wasn’t amazing either. I got through half the exam and realised I only had 30 minutes left and had rush the rest of it so I need to work on my timings for the next one. I found the mechanics section wasn’t as bad as my trial exam. I attempted all of the questions apart from a couple of the sentence based one markers (although I didn’t actually get to the answer for all of them). So I got a D in my trial exam so hopefully I got C or above in this one since I felt this exam went a lot better than the trial where I missed out so many questions. Hopefully I will pick up a bunch of method marks. I remember the first question on the paper that really stumped me which was the prove a prime number bigger than 5 always end in 1 when to put it to the power of 4. How did it go for you?
I agree that question was weird.
Unknown78692
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unknown78692)
I thought it was quite hard and same timing was a huge issue.
That's cool. I hope you get an A.
I agree that question was weird.
And does anyone have an idea on what to expect on Paper 2?
Funksy64
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Funksy 62 I hope you get an A.

How did you manage to get 70/73?
Any revision tips or techniques? Please,
I just did practice question after practice question. We have the aqa as maths text books and I did all the questions in the book. Did all of the old spec Edexcel and aqa past papers and all of the as practice papers that were available on the crash maths website. I also bought the cgp as maths new spec exam question book and did all the questions in that.

I suggest doing the crash maths practice papers and going over the aqa practice paper set 1 and specimen papers. Its also useful to look at the other exam boards specimen papers because the pure maths content will be the same.
Funksy64
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And does anyone have an idea on what to expect on Paper 2?
my teacher sent me a list of all the topics that didn't come up on paper 1 and are likely to come up on paper 2:

• Indices and Surds
  • Quadratic inequalities
  • The discriminant
  • Factor Theorem
  • Sketching and transforming graphs
  • Solving problems involving straight lines and circles
  • Solving equations involving e and logs
  • Solving trigonometric equations - including trig identities
  • Optimisation
  • Integration
  • Statistics!
Unknown78692
Rep:
?
(Original post by Funksy64)
I just did practice question after practice question. We have the aqa as maths text books and I did all the questions in the book. Did all of the old spec Edexcel and aqa past papers and all of the as practice papers that were available on the crash maths website. I also bought the cgp as maths new spec exam question book and did all the questions in that.

I suggest doing the crash maths practice papers and going over the aqa practice paper set 1 and specimen papers. Its also useful to look at the other exam boards specimen papers because the pure maths content will be the same.
Thank You!
I appreciate your guide.
Unknown78692
Rep:
?
(Original post by Funksy64)
my teacher sent me a list of all the topics that didn't come up on paper 1 and are likely to come up on paper 2:

• Indices and Surds
  • Quadratic inequalities
  • The discriminant
  • Factor Theorem
  • Sketching and transforming graphs
  • Solving problems involving straight lines and circles
  • Solving equations involving e and logs
  • Solving trigonometric equations - including trig identities
  • Optimisation
  • Integration
  • Statistics!
Oo..Okay Thank You
Subwayaddictxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys does anyone remember the showing the equation is a maximum question and how did you guys do the proof ?? Thanks so much
Subwayaddictxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you don’t mind can you explain how you did the proof and the showing the curve is a maximum question?x
psycholeo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Subwayaddictxx)
If you don’t mind can you explain how you did the proof and the showing the curve is a maximum question?x
There's a lot of ways you can do the proof. Most of which are very obscure and it's extremely likely that you won't have done a question like this because it is so obscure.

Firstly, you can solve using advanced methods. Some people in my school who are aiming for Oxbridge and know extremely advanced methods used Fermat's Little Theorem or Euler's Theorem to prove it, I think this uses modular arithmetic.

Secondly, you can write all the prime numbers in the range except for 7 as n = 10k + 1, if you multiply (10k + 1)^4, the only term that isn't divisible by 10 is the plus 1 at the end, hence must end in 1, and you can prove for 7 as well.

Lastly, probably the simplest way I've seen so far, you can just prove for 1, 3, 7 and 9. As all prime numbers in the range will have one of those as the last digits.

It's been described as a "Horrific question" by many Maths teachers, so if you didn't get it, don't worry
Unknown78692
Rep:
?
(Original post by psycholeo)
There's a lot of ways you can do the proof. Most of which are very obscure and it's extremely likely that you won't have done a question like this because it is so obscure.

Firstly, you can solve using advanced methods. Some people in my school who are aiming for Oxbridge and know extremely advanced methods used Fermat's Little Theorem or Euler's Theorem to prove it, I think this uses modular arithmetic.

Secondly, you can write all the prime numbers in the range except for 7 as n = 10k + 1, if you multiply (10k + 1)^4, the only term that isn't divisible by 10 is the plus 1 at the end, hence must end in 1, and you can prove for 7 as well.

Lastly, probably the simplest way I've seen so far, you can just prove for 1, 3, 7 and 9. As all prime numbers in the range will have one of those as the last digits.

It's been described as a "Horrific question" by many Maths teachers, so if you didn't get it, don't worry
If you don't mind could you tell me all the advanced methods they are leaning. Please.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.44%
No (68)
75.56%

Watched Threads