The Student Room Group

Education system

I know nothing about the Education System of UK, can anyone describe what are A level and GSCEs? How does it work?
Reply 1
A levels are two year courses (mostly) which are sat at the end of sixth form when you are around 18. These are the standard pre-university exams. People tend to take 3 or 4 A levels.
GCSE’s are taken when you are 16 (I know some people take them earlier) at the end of high school (secondary school). Many students will take 5+ (rnages hugegly) GCSE’s so they are not nearly as in depth as A Levels.

Hope that makes sense.
Original post by Anoodle
A levels are two year courses (mostly) which are sat at the end of sixth form when you are around 18. These are the standard pre-university exams. People tend to take 3 or 4 A levels.
GCSE’s are taken when you are 16 (I know some people take them earlier) at the end of high school (secondary school). Many students will take 5+ (rnages hugegly) GCSE’s so they are not nearly as in depth as A Levels.

Hope that makes sense.

What are sixth forms? ( I'm really sorry if I'm being an ass, but I really don't know about it)
Reply 3
its ******** system
Reply 4
Original post by potatoui
What are sixth forms? ( I'm really sorry if I'm being an ass, but I really don't know about it)

sixth forms are similar to UK colleges in that students aged 17-18 (two years) attend them. Sixth forms unlike colleges tend to focus on “academic” subjects in the form of A Levels, and other types of post 16 (pre-university) qualifications. Some colleges may do A Levels but focus primarily on practical skills that lead to qualifications that are hands on ie cateering or hairdressing.
I went to a sixth form and its basically a older high school but students have free periods, more freedom and there are only two years.
I hope that makes sense. Its not that sixth forms are more academic but they focus on getting students into university afterwards. Some colleges do A-levels too but the majority near me focus on particular workplace skills.

Quick Reply

Latest