Milli Mango
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have an upcoming test of the whole year's worth of maths and needed some help understanding the 'proving' part of it. I have been given some practice questions, but don't how to do one;
'Prove that (n+10)^2 - (n+5)^2 is always a multiple of 5'
Help please?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there a special way you can write the multiples of 5? Like a general term.

Then try expanding out the complicated expression, and try to simplify it into something that looks like your general term.

So as a good starting point, try to rewrite the non maths bit as a mathematical expression or (in)equality. Try to simplify the more complicated expression and then compare.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Expand, simplify, take out a factor of 5, done.
username3991332
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1) Difference of two squares
2) Done
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Milli Mango)
I have an upcoming test of the whole year's worth of maths and needed some help understanding the 'proving' part of it. I have been given some practice questions, but don't how to do one;
Help please?
Technically the question as you wrote it is not correct: in order for it to be valid, it needs to specify that n is an integer, as the concept of "multiple" is only applicable to integers.

Anyway, we have (n+10)^2 - (n+5)^2 = (n+10+n+5)(n+10-n-5) = 5(2n+15), where the first step comes from the difference of two squares. Now as n is an integer, clearly 2n+15 is an integer (the reason for this is technically called closure - we would say that the set of integers is closed under addition since if you add two integers, you always get another integer; similarly the set of integers is closed under multiplication). Thus the expression is equal to 5 times an integer, and is hence a multiple of 5, as required.
stephen1011
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Milli Mango)
Help please?
You want to aim to set your working out like this:

https://ibb.co/d6QfRT
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.29%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
27.12%
No (86)
48.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed