The Student Room Group

How did you know what A-Levels you wanted to do?

I'm honestly fed up of deciding what A-Levels I want to do, I've already changed them several times, each time not getting that feeling that you get when you know you've made the right choice.

My career prospects are very wide and broad to begin with, but then there are some that are very rigid and need specific A-Levels.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Reply 1
well you ask how i knew...i didn't. my parents chose sciences for me and i quietly went with that until i realised it wasn't for me.
why not try reading into the courses of some potential subjects and see which ones you think you'll be able you tolerate the most

N.B. A levels sucks pretty bad so even if you find yourself not IN LOVE with all your subjects it's fine as long as they are doable
I looked towards a specific career or study later on and then looked to see what alternatives I could have with choices of A level I had to see if my choices weren't being too specific and didn't limit me. I originally was looking at geology/geophysics when I entered A levels so chose maths, physics, geology and geography. Over my time at A levels I ended up looking at the previous choice along with, maths, physics, computer science and my actual choice civil engineering.
(edited 5 years ago)
The most important thing is to choose subjects you enjoy and will do well in.

If you are thinking of a career in a science or medical field you will need Chemistry and/or Biology. For Accountancy, Economcs, Computer Science or Engineering you will need Maths. For some subjects Further Maths, Computer Science or Physics might prove helpful.

Other than that usually any subjects will fit many university courses. It might be worth considering English Lit or History as these are usually useful for most courses

Quick Reply

Latest