EddyEagal
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I am a First Year moving out of student halls in July to Tang Hall for second year.

I am living on the outskirts (I think?) of the area on a street called Starkey Crescent.

I've heard that Tang Hall is a very crime-centric place and I am quite worried to be moving in.

Does anyone have any experience of this area? And particularly Starkey Crescent? Is it removed from the main Tang Hall zone?

Any response will be much appreciated!
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi my daughter is looking at unis and as a parent, we worry about things like the crime rate of certain areas.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/york/local this link we found very useful.

It gives a 'heat map' of the local crime areas and how bad they are. Tang Hall is in blue, so its got a bit of crime, but not as much as some of the other uni's and their areas.

If your living in a share house, (ive lived in one) I've often found there there are opportunist thieves, and they are hoping a student leaves a door or window unlocked and they are in. My landlord at the time was insistent whether if your in or out, always make sure the doors are locked. I had a lock on my own bedroom door as well, so all my stuff would be safe. Its just these little things like this that are common sense, but give you piece of mind. If all your mates are responsible and are security conscious, then you shouldn't have much to worry about
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EddyEagal)
Hello,

I am a First Year moving out of student halls in July to Tang Hall for second year.

I am living on the outskirts (I think?) of the area on a street called Starkey Crescent.

I've heard that Tang Hall is a very crime-centric place and I am quite worried to be moving in.

Does anyone have any experience of this area? And particularly Starkey Crescent? Is it removed from the main Tang Hall zone?

Any response will be much appreciated!
I live in Tang Hall and it's been fine. I don't know specifically about Starkey Crescent but from my year in the area crime hasn't been an issue. Just make sure you lock your doors and windows when you're out, or indeed when you're in - one thing I've learned is that people have very different habits about locking doors. It wasn't an issue in first year since every door locks automatically in halls, but one of my housemates is apparently used to just leaving the front door wide open when they go out (not even closed, and not locked!) from when they're at home, so you might have a few months of regularly checking the doors.

The only issue we had was with (teenage, I think?) schoolchildren. They spotted one of our windows (to a bedroom) was open one evening, so went round the side of the house and threw snowballs all over the bed and room. Otherwise, no problems, though it may be worth buying contents insurance just for the peace of mind.
EddyEagal
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
I live in Tang Hall and it's been fine. I don't know specifically about Starkey Crescent but from my year in the area crime hasn't been an issue. Just make sure you lock your doors and windows when you're out, or indeed when you're in - one thing I've learned is that people have very different habits about locking doors. It wasn't an issue in first year since every door locks automatically in halls, but one of my housemates is apparently used to just leaving the front door wide open when they go out (not even closed, and not locked!) from when they're at home, so you might have a few months of regularly checking the doors.

The only issue we had was with (teenage, I think?) schoolchildren. They spotted one of our windows (to a bedroom) was open one evening, so went round the side of the house and threw snowballs all over the bed and room. Otherwise, no problems, though it may be worth buying contents insurance just for the peace of mind.
That's great - thank you for replying

I guess the reputation is super bad from the past. Glad to here you haven't been too affected.

Is, if you know, Starkey Crescent very central to Tang Hall? And do you live in the centre yourself?
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EddyEagal)
That's great - thank you for replying

I guess the reputation is super bad from the past. Glad to here you haven't been too affected.

Is, if you know, Starkey Crescent very central to Tang Hall? And do you live in the centre yourself?
I'm a few streets closer to the university than Starkey Crescent is; I'm close to Hull Road Park. I'm not sure what the boundaries of Tang Hall are but I'd guess that Starkey Crescent is more central than I am.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads